PDA

View Full Version : Latest hunts. Sorry no pics yet.

zrickkid
10-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Well for the year I have seven silver coins and they all have different tales to tell. The first silver ever was a minty 1942 Mercury dime @3 in my local forest preserve. Second was a badly pitted and corroded 1953 Roosevelt dime @2 that was at a sidewalk tear out in Chicago. Third was a 1947 George VI Canadian dime @3, abandoned house site. Fourth was a 1953 Roosevelt dime @2 at a local park during construction for a new trail. The fifth was the easiest a 1943 P war nickel found on the ground of all places at the University of Illinois Chicago, where I work as an engineer. I found 80 coins that day for a total of $1.80 and all coins were ground scores right off the ground no digging involved. I also found a super sweet high quality firemans knife and 3 spoons the same way. The sixth coin was another very nice 1943 P war nickel @1. That was found at my local 1920s high school during construction for a new soccer/football field. Lastly today I found a total of 43 coins for a whopping $1.85 including a beautiful 1946 Roosevelt dime @2. This was at an old fieldhouse park.
The common theme is im only finding silver at construction sites and recent ground breaks. Ive found about 25 wheaties in my hunts including my oldest coin to date a 1915 Lincoln cent. I found my first dollar coin a 2000 Sacagawea last weekend. It was a neat find because it was at about 5 and on its side. I am good at deciphering on edge coins with my V3i so it was a good find.
In other random hunts I've found a whole bunsen burner, a 10 ft solid copper rod by the local train tracks. A corroded harmonica, Several foreign coins including a 100 pesos Mexican coin that looked exactly like gold coin in the hole. Man that really got my heart pumping. 2 silver rings but only one was marked 925, Mexico. 1 huge gold filled ring with a flawless cubic zirconia yellow topaz. That was my favorite find to date. Ive found my share of junk too.
Im having a lot of fun but im still struggling to find coins deeper than 4 inches or so, especially the silvers. Ive used Yazoos program lately but I still have trouble knowing when to dig deeper targets. I dont have a pinpointer yet so when I dig deep holes most of the time I lose the signal and give up. It seems like the only times I find silver is when I get lucky and its close to the surface. Ill keep plugging away and doing my best. Any suggestions?
Ive found about $100 dollars in clad so far so im 1/14 th of the way to paying off my machine. :bangahead01:. Thanks for your replies in advance.

jkress
10-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Hi there ZRkid!

Sounds like you are doing well. I have yet to find any old coins at construction sites and side walk tear outs, but I still try. I even tracked the dirt that was being removed from the oldest part of our down town and hunted where it ended up... nothing. So... you are doing just fine at finding silver.

You have a very nice machine, just takes time.... they keep telling me. :rolleyes:

The first thing I would do is get yourself a pinpointing probe. They are almost as important as the detector for recovering targets. I can't even imagine hunting without one anymore. The amount of clad you picked up this year should just about get a good one for you. I have a Sunray and the Garrett Pro-pinpointer and both are great... if I could only have one, it would probably be the Sunray. I just haven't gotten one for my Minelab yet.

From your description of places you are hunting... you are on the right track.

Hang in there, you'll be popping the old silver before you know it.

Good luck.

coinnut
10-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Hey, I'd sell that copper pipe and get a pinpointer right there lol Seriously a pinpointer will tell you if you are getting falsing from the V3i or you are just not recovering the deep target that it is telling you is there. Construction sites are my favorite, but I have to say that the E Trac, as well as my DFX, both have issues showing some targets well. You have to dig anything that does not grunt (or smear) like iron. Disturbed ground is not a friend of metal detectors lol But what you found so far is still good. thumbsup01 keep at it and the deep ones will come. You may just not be in an area that has them.