PDA

View Full Version : Two Tone Ferrous - Is this normal?

Diggler
10-16-2010, 07:29 PM
Finally got around to trying a hunt in TTF. Screen almost wide open, 1-1 thru 1-37 and 1-49 thru 1-50 blacked out only. Went to a small park about 10 years old, but was a neighborhood field between houses for probably 100 years before that, saw pics from mid 50's. I don't think this place has been hit much before just because it is so small and pretty hidden in a medium sized town with much better parks. Has to be something there though. Right? Well I swung for about an hour and never got a signal I wanted to dig. Was the first time I ever had to switch arms from fatigue because I got no digging breaks. Anyway, the low tones were almost constant. Had to turn down the headphones and the low tones became my threshold. There were high tones scattered in there but no decent signals that locked on worth a hoot. And I was going S L O W. Finally dug a couple beaver tails just to make sure everything was OK. Threw a dime down and hit it hard 12-45. I guess the area was just entirely full of iron junk. Maybe remnants of an old house? Is it normal for the low tones to be almost overwhelming? Is there a reason ,like maybe nulling interfering with signals, for not notching out more? I ground balanced a couple times and tried different sensitivities but same results. If this is all normal, I think I would like TTF in an area that is not so trashy, but I about went bonkers...

coinnut
10-16-2010, 08:37 PM
If you run a wide open screen with just the numbers you discriminated out, this will happen. The lines you blackened out were to get rid of some of the iron falsing that wraps around to the top of the screen. It will still false in other areas too. (chirps) But each chirp must be investigated by hovering the coil over where you heard the chirp and moving it ever so slightly to see if it locks on to a good target next to iron. I run a modified version that is better on the ears lol I disc out roughly the same 01 line like you, but I add some lower 02 numbers too (just to get rid of almost all wrap around falsing). I also disc out all 01 and 02 CO numbers (from top to bottom) Like wise for CO 50 and finally I disc out all FE lines 33, 34, 35 (across the bottom). What it looks like is a thin box around the perimiter of the screen. It will null on most nails and still sound off on non iron targets. But you must investigate every high pitch. This is more a program for cellar holes. Try Angel's park program and see if it is any better for you.

Diggler
10-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Cool. Thanks for the settings. I will definitely give that a try and see if it quiets things down a bit. I think I have been using Angel's program. And I like it. So much talk about TTF I had to try it. Things are starting to settle down (buy house, move, sell house) and the weather it finally nice so the Etrac and I will be spending much more time getting to know each other...

coinnut
10-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Here's what I have been using lately. It's a bit different than what I described in the 02 range. I change it often lol Keep altering the 01/02/03 FE lines as you see fit. If you get a lot of falsing in that top area, then slowly blacken out more.