PDA

View Full Version : A rewarding but frustrating hunt...

jkress
10-17-2010, 10:43 AM
I got a full hunt in Saturday morning. From 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. I was bound and determined to pull some silver from the site I hunted Friday night.

There were plenty of wheats (17), IH's (7), copper and zinc pennies and lots of clad quarters (7), dimes (11) and nickels (3)... just no silver coinage. :confused:

I kept thinking, there's got to be some silver here and kept digging anything that could possibly come close to a silver signal... yet none came up.

I like pulling wheats and love getting IH's so it was a good hunt. :happydance01:

The site I hunted is a small area, so I was able to go slow and hit it from multiple directions. There is a section of this spot that I wasn't able to detect yet because there were freshly cut bushes piled up.... those are going to be moved later today. Perhaps there will be one silver hanging out there so I can quit obsessing about this spot :rolleyes: . I still really want to break into the 1800's on a silver coin this year and this seems like it should be the spot to do just that.

Only other explanation that I can come up with for the absence of silver is....... Angel has hunted here or at least walked by and sent all the silver running for cover deeper in the ground. lol :poke:

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist/pictures/picture-52.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist/pictures/picture-53.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist/pictures/picture-54.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist/pictures/picture-55.jpg

dave in iowa
10-17-2010, 01:01 PM
wow 7 indians in one spot , great day Joe , wow

zrickkid
10-17-2010, 01:26 PM
What kid of VDI did those Indians ring up as? Just curious.

pulltabsteve
10-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Great job on the IHs and wheats!! The little horse charm is cool. :peace:

leslie(nova scotia)
10-17-2010, 04:10 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....awesome me bouy. Especially like the horse rider monopoly piece!

coinnut
10-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Look at the condition of them Indians :shocked04: lol Nice coins. Judging from the dates and full Liberty on some of them, I would say there should be some Barbers there for sure :yes:

Only other explanation that I can come up with for the absence of silver is....... Angel has hunted here or at least walked by and sent all the silver running for cover deeper in the ground. lol :poke:

I think you may have a good point there :thinkingabout: It's very possible since the word spreads fast. Soon all the silver should be migrating out West. lol

Beefcake
10-17-2010, 07:13 PM
Man, those are some of the nicest indians I've seen in a long while... Awesome details!!!

angellionel
10-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Awesome hunt, Joe, even if no silver showed up. :clapping: I too enjoy finding the wheat cents :yes: Those Indian Head cents are beautiful! :drool:

Oh, and it's lies that I was at that site, all lies! lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-17-2010, 08:36 PM
gorgeous IH's! wish they all came out that nice here!

jkress
10-17-2010, 08:49 PM
What kid of VDI did those Indians ring up as? Just curious.

They air test at 07 - 25. I don't use the FE/CO screen as much as I should. I noticed when air testing that the cursor placement was just a tad to the right of where they actually id when in the ground. Slightly below a zinc penny... but they produce a sound that is permanently etched in my brain. :yes:

I should use the numbers more, but they seem to jump around too much for my liking. I'm heading back to that place early tomorrow morning for a shorter hunt and will try to get some accurate 'in the ground' numbers for you.

Look at the condition of them Indians :shocked04:

Man, those are some of the nicest indians I've seen in a long while... Awesome details!!!

Those Indian Head cents are beautiful! :drool:

They did clean up very nice. I tried this batch with the hot peroxide method. That sure removes all of that caked on crud. I hope nobody cringes but I gave them a quick dip in olive oil, a rinse and they come out very nice and rich. I still need to locate the Blue Ribbon conditioner that you recommended Angel... I haven't had much luck yet finding it.

milco
10-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Awesome hunt, the silver will be there I am sure! Those IH's are awesome!

angellionel
10-17-2010, 09:26 PM
I still need to locate the Blue Ribbon conditioner that you recommended Angel... I haven't had much luck yet finding it.

Try Coin Care from the Brent-Krueger (http://www.brent-krueger.com/cleaners.html) site. It does a good job as well. :yes:

hockeyguy
10-18-2010, 06:18 AM
Nice group of cooper there Jkress! Keep at it.

RobW
10-18-2010, 07:37 AM
That's strill a great day of hunting. Love them cowboys, they're definatly oldies!

Jason in Enid
10-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Those are definately some great looking dug IHs. I am really suprised you found so many IHs, but no silver. There should still be some hiding down there.