PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin hunting

Jason in Enid
10-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Well, I am stuck up here at Ft. McCoy for 2 weeks. I made the 800 mile drive so that I could have my car, and have the chance to go places after class each day. Classes don't start until the morning, so I spent the day over in Sparta. Great little town. If it wasn't for the winters, I might want to move there!

I made my way to several parks. I found every one to be fairly clean of coins. Clean of old coins, but certainly not iron! At the last one I found the reason. I met 2 local hunters (man and his daughter). He has been cleaning the town for over 10 years now, and seems to be doing a good job of it.

I did pretty well STUFF my coin pouch, but it was almost all modern. I was digging 70s and 80s clad down to 4 - 5 inches deep. This town goes back to the 1850s so I was hoping for some silver, but not yet. Finally, my very last target was a solid 12-42 / 12-44 signal (copper penny) showing about 6 to 7 inches deep. Sure enough, After digging 7 inches through a mat of small tree roots, I pulled out a wheat cent. Just that little 'nudge' to pull me back to that spot on my next outing (if I get done soon enough tomorrow). It seems that coins tend to get pretty deep here from the winter freezes.

I meant to ask the other hunters if they were members of any detecting forums, but forgot. If it's you and you're reading this, then good to meet you.

Sorry, no pics. I don't have the photo editing software on my laptop to crop and shrink pics for uploading.

milco
10-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Welcome up to Wisconsin! Try some of the smaller towns and communities in the surrounding area and county and township parks, I am sure you will find some silver. Just stay clear of state owned land, you can't detect on any of it.

jkress
10-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Just that little 'nudge' to pull me back to that spot on my next outing).

Sometimes those end of the hunt wheats lock you in to another hunt. Been there, done that.... sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. That's what's fun about this whole thing. :thinkingabout:

Hope you get some Wisconsin silver before you leave.

Good luck.

Jason in Enid
10-18-2010, 08:34 PM
I got out of class early today, I changed clothes and headed back to the same spot in the park. I had a solid 2 hours to hunt before the sun dropped below the horizon.

I managed to pull a bunch more clad. This is old clad, back to the 60's and it's been in the ground a long time, not a lot of recent drops. I did find another 4 wheats, all from the 50's (I think, one is too crudy to make a date), but still no silver. I did find a foriegn coin. About nickle size, and I think it's Japanese. Has a pic of a man on the front and an island on the back. A small hole where it was probably worn as a necklace. Signal came in a solid quarter at about 5 inches so I was praying for silver. I think it's aluminum, so I don't know why it registered so high. I was having some dimes and even a few pennies come in as quarters today.

I have been hunting around the park swimming pool, which has a date stone marked 1946. There should be a lot more there. There should be silver there. It is obvious that this spot hasn't been hunted in a long time, and not by any modern detector. I should be pulling silver. Oh well, it's a very large park so I will try a new spot next outing. I have had my eye a huge open area with a scattering of trees.

coinnut
10-19-2010, 07:32 PM
It's getting tougher and tougher everyday to get a park that has not been cleaned out :confused: It helps that a park is really large though. They have to miss something. Good luck at the silver hunting!

Jason in Enid
10-19-2010, 07:52 PM
See new thread; Wisconsin hunt #3