PDA

View Full Version : Opportunity hunt

coinnut
10-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Decided to post it in the coinshooting section instead of the relic section like I usually do. House hunts are kinda coinshooting lol But I did get a great relic today :shocked04: Drove by a place I had permission to do before and it has always been good to me. Noticed a big backhoe digging out the old colonial cellar hole in preparation to fill it in. I noticed more piles of dirt (and clay) than were there before, so I knew time would be short. By the afternoon, the hole was filled and the top soil that has been sitting there for 6 months, was now spread back out over the clay :drool: I had to work, so I hurried up and came home and took old ET for a ride :cheesysmile: It got dark real fast and most of this hunt was with the backlight on. But I did get a copper (smushed as it was) lol a 1919, 1929, and 1945 Wheats, and a gorgeous button I thought it was going to be an Civil War Eagle button, but it was too dark out to see. I did notice it had a lot of gold showing, so I hoped it would be military. This is my first two piece Mass Militia Button :happydance01: It was a great, short hunt. using the 5 coil and going way too fast for my machine lol

Jason in Enid
10-19-2010, 07:54 PM
That is a BEAUTIFUL button! I take it old? I have to ask because it looks brand new. Is it a gold guilded one or is it brass? Sorry, I don't know buttons.

Great job on grabbing that opportunity when it arrived.

coinnut
10-19-2010, 08:02 PM
That is a BEAUTIFUL button! I take it old? I have to ask because it looks brand new. Is it a gold guilded one or is it brass? Sorry, I don't know buttons.

Great job on grabbing that opportunity when it arrived.

Thanks Jason. It's old for sure, but Albert's Book doesn't date them very well. I'm not real good with buttons, but I'm guessing between Civil War and 1890's. I usually let Del look them up for me ;) I guess the backmark would give me more info on it. Looks like it says R&W Robinson Extra Rich. It is gilted (plated) and that is the remaining original gold color :happydance01:

del
10-19-2010, 08:07 PM
beauty of a button George thumbsup01 from the type and backmark yours would date in the area from 1840-48 , congrats on it and the smushed copper :cheering: :cheering:

coinnut
10-19-2010, 08:12 PM
beauty of a button George thumbsup01 from the type and backmark yours would date in the area from 1840-48 , congrats on it and the smushed copper :cheering: :cheering:

Wow that's earlier than I thought :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: It's even better looking in person. Real solid gold color. Better than some I see for sale. If it wasn't for the back mark side being corroded, you would never think it was even in the ground, Why didn't they make both pieces out of the same material :confused: :bangahead01:

angellionel
10-19-2010, 08:38 PM
The button is beautiful! I'm not a relic hunter, but I do like that button. :yes: Even that cooper looks better than many of the ones I have dug up from the parks. Nice hunt George, and good deal taking advantage at the right time.

Epi-hunter
10-19-2010, 09:16 PM
That is a GORGEOUS button George!! :cheering:

The copper is kind of smushed but still a copper. :)

coinnut
10-19-2010, 09:20 PM
That is a GORGEOUS button George!! :cheering:

The copper is kind of smushed but still a copper. :)

Thanks Angie. That button made my day lol I think the Large cent is a matron head @ 1830 or so. I can almost make out a 3 on the date, but that's about it.

Even that cooper looks better than many of the ones I have dug up from the parks.

You should see the back side (or what's left of it :crying02:) It looks more like a park find :yes: I'm glad the front survived

jkress
10-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Very nice hunt CN. :clapping:

You pulled some great coins and an incredible button as well.

I guess it pays to come out of the woods every once in a while. :yes:

RobW
10-20-2010, 07:23 AM
WOW! That button is in fantastic shape. Great find....oh and the other coins are nice too, but man that button is awsome. Gotta get when the getting is good.

trout-hunter
10-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Nice button George. :clapping:

coinnut
10-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Very nice hunt CN. :clapping:

You pulled some great coins and an incredible button as well.

I guess it pays to come out of the woods every once in a while. :yes:

Yeah, I have a very long past history doing places other than cellar holes. Sometimes it creeps back into the blood lol

WOW! That button is in fantastic shape. Great find....oh and the other coins are nice too, but man that button is awsome. Gotta get when the getting is good.

Thanks Rob, It is in real nice shape and has been waiting for me in that pile of dirt for at least 6 months now lol I'm just glad I didn't ding it in the dark. :shocked04:stretcher:

Nice button George. :clapping:

Thanks Ernie. It was one of those, I just gotta do this hunt today moments lol

sniffy
10-20-2010, 04:28 PM
WHOA! that button is SSSSSSWEEEEEEEEEEEET!

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-21-2010, 12:35 AM
awesome button dude! that's the nicest i ever seen dug~! good job and good eyes on the site!

wild willy
10-21-2010, 03:22 AM
ah! looks like ya pressed all the right buttons george :shocked01: i mean found the right button :rolleyes: ill be all right :crazy: lol :behave: :stretcher: :stretcher:. willy

tanacat
10-26-2010, 09:43 PM
:happydance01: Congrats on your button- it really cleaned up nice! :clapping:

Cheap Thrills
10-26-2010, 10:21 PM
Nice going on your great finds George. Love that old stuff !! thumbsup01 8)

1147SILVER
10-30-2010, 08:39 PM
congrats george its nice to see you keep on finding good ones nice job con grats

Steve :beerbuddy: