PDA

View Full Version : Wisonsin hunt #3 = silver!

Jason in Enid
10-19-2010, 08:21 PM
OK, after being teased by the park with a single wheatie on my first hunt, I pulled 4 more wheats on hunt #2. I thought I would hit another area of the park. I did some web-search last night and found the original park was MUCH smaller. I found a pic from before 1957 that showed an arial view. I decided to stay in the same area and just move slightly based on the photo.

Signal number 1, a clean and clear 12-45 to 14-46. Six inches down I saw the beautiful silver rim of a coin. I had to go back to the truck and get my camera. I took a pic of the rim in the hole, then pulled it out and found an incredibly nice 1936 D Mercury dime!! I was in heaven. I wanted to yell a victory shout, <: but didn't want to draw attention. I settled for a victory dance. :happydance01:

I proceeded to hunt a very tiny area over the next 2 hours until sundown. I would have liked to cover a larger amount of ground, but it was a circus of pennies. I would dig a memorial, take a step and dig a memorial. Repeat for the next 2 hours. There was the occasional dime and quarter, but mostly Lincolns. I did find 2 more wheats (44 and 50, about 6 inches apart) towards the end of the hunt. These are all, old clad at depths typically 3-5 inches.

I really can't believe this area has been hunted before, there are just too many coins. Could I trully be in a virginal spot? I really don't think there is such a place a virgin area of a park, but there are so many coins. I was trully disgusted at digging so manny pennies, but I know I don't want to miss a low-reading silver dime or silver ring. I suppose someone could have cherry-picked out the highest signals years ago, but that's only a guess because I didn't find more silver. I've been trying to just cherry pick the coins, but this area could really have some gold if I dug all the targets. Don't know.... cherry pick a large area for silver..... or clean out a small area in the hopes of a gold ring. FYI this spot is next to the pool, and is on a hill so things could easily roll away from someone if dropped. Prime ring area. I guess I'll decide when I get back there TOMORROW. :peace:

I really wish I could post pics, but I will have to wait until I have 2 weeks worth of finds and are back home.

Thanks for reading, I tend to get long-winded.

coinnut
10-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Now that's taking advantage of the web lol Great idea! Now you know where the old part was and why the other parts weren't so good. Concentrate there. I might be tempted to only dig deep 12-44, 12-45's and any 12-46, 12-47. or any half dollar readings! I probably would try this for an hour or two just to see if I could cherry pick the area myself lol Congrats on the Merc! :clapping:

jkress
10-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Congrats on the silver Jason!

Your hunch was right. Good luck when you get there again.

milco
10-20-2010, 07:41 AM
Nice going! Perhaps, even though it is the older section of the park, perhaps fill or more topsoil has been brought in over time combined with
not being hunted recently equals finding lots of recent coins, even if they're pennies. I think if you start passing on those signals, you will
certainly pass over some good targets eventually. Good Luck!

Jason in Enid
10-20-2010, 12:01 PM
I have thought about the possibility of added fill dirt. I haven't found a change in the soil composition though. Without personally knowing the ground for the past 50+ years I guess you really can't tell.

Maybe no one else wanted to hunt sideways on a hill, or they just hit the ball fields every outing. So many questions to ponder about so many coins, when you don't find the silver too. :confused: