PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Bad wheaties

catskillcomics
10-20-2010, 07:18 PM
I started MDn about 4 years ago, kept every single wheat penny... for the most part, they are recognizable, but really not in good enough shape to keep or sell to a collector.. so what to do with the bad one.. just roll them up and give'em to the bank?? I have about 600 or 700 of them.

maybe scatter them all over in the competitions hunting grounds.. believe me this guy deserves it.. NO HOCKEYGUY, NOT YOU lol

Jason in Enid
10-20-2010, 07:58 PM
You could save them just for thier melt value.

If you really want to get rid of them, you could replace every silver you find with a wheat for the next guy!

CyberSage
10-24-2010, 09:07 PM
I have an old blue quart jar from my grandmother that I filled with Wheat pennies. I found an old ceramic Jar lid detecting at an old cabin and I used it for the lid. It looks pretty neat up on the mantel. Someday I will bury it.

kenfen
10-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Yeah, I like the bury it idea.... I think that's kinda kool. It would be a shame to just melt them, wouldn't it?

Regards, Ken

Jason in Enid
10-25-2010, 07:08 PM
That's what the mint did with millions of gold and silver coins and nickels. It's what they do with all clad and pennies deemed unworthy of being in circulation.

The mint just doesn't want US to make money from the melt value.

tanacat
10-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Very cool idea to bury Jack!

I have the same question about my memorials- my mason jar is overflowing and I'm curious how many there are. My friend said roll them and hang on to them for they might be worth 5 cents a piece yrs from now. Like wheats, or maybe even the melt value, copper is on the rise!

mrgarlic
10-30-2010, 05:34 PM
I was kinda expecting the wheat question. What do you do with them? My uncle gave me 2 coffee cans full back in the 70's. I have 26 pounds of wheats? The best offer:huh: $.02 ea. ,,,Not even worth the cost to ship them. They are in my attic waiting for my great, great grandkids to discover. :huh:thinkingabout:?