PDA

View Full Version : The first time must have been luck.

Fire Fighter 43
10-22-2010, 01:15 PM
I returned to the church where I found 10 silvers and 16 wheat's in three hours. I started where I left off figuring I would have the same results as the first time there. After three hunts of 2 hours each I recovered 21 wheat's one is 1909 and two more Merc's. It is not what I was expecting after the first visit to this site. What are the odds that I picked the spot I did the first time I hunted it. I was using the same settings and the same swing speed.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll27/firegolf43/IMG_0585.jpg

del
10-22-2010, 01:25 PM
very nice wheat pile FF43 , metal detecting is a funny :crazy: hobby like that sometimes and it works both ways too because you could pound an area good thinking you've cleaned it out and the next time you go you find some of your best stuff . :dontknow:

coinnut
10-22-2010, 02:19 PM
very nice wheat pile FF43 , metal detecting is a funny :crazy: hobby like that sometimes and it works both ways too because you could pound an area good thinking you've cleaned it out and the next time you go you find some of your best stuff . :dontknow:

I agree. The next time there you may be thinking only wheats left and you get something unexpected. :shocked04: Still looks like you had a great day. Add it together with the first hunt and that place has been good to you. I bet you score many more silvers there. Nice pile of coins there.

angellionel
10-22-2010, 02:26 PM
That's a good hunt on any day. :peace: Very nice haul on the wheat cents too. I have experienced the same at several sites, particularly while gridding an area. As del noted, you work it from a different direction on another occasion and then you make several more nice finds. That is one of the things that makes the hobby exciting. thumbsup01

Jason in Enid
10-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Don't sweat it, that's how this game works.

Ask yourself, why did you start in THAT spot the first day? Was it an obvious congregation area? Play area? Open and easy to move around? the reason you picked that spot may have been the reason all those silvers were there. As you work to completely cover an area, you will hit dead areas and hot areas. You just happened to hit a hot area first. The fact that you pulled 2 more silvers and all those wheats says that there is still a lot more waiting to be found. Start worrying about your site when you can go hours and not get a single coin.

tanacat
10-22-2010, 03:29 PM
WTG Mercs are beautiful :)

wild willy
10-22-2010, 06:23 PM
just look at my post the common that keeps given! that place ive been going to for a couple years. you have to try your spot with different weather conditions. or how wet the soil is i guess. ive gotten tons of stuff there. so dont give up. willy

jkress
10-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Still nice stuff FF. :clapping:

It can get quite mind boggling trying to put a reason to the unknown. Although I haven't been MD'ing too long, I have encountered plenty of head scratchers.

Some spots I go to seem like this is where the jackpot will be and I end up with minimal to nothing. :confused: Other spots I go to without high hopes and score big. :confused:

It's madness I tell you. :bangahead01: :rolleyes:

But, you have to admit... it's fun.

Hang in there, if your gut is telling you there's more silver... there probably is.

Fire Fighter 43
10-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Thanks for all the good observations. I know there is alot more silver at this site its just a matter of getting on top of it. The ground here is extremely dry. In fact I can not remember this dry of a fall. The dryness has also been keeping me busy at work with brush fires. I hate to admit it but for once I would like some rain to soften up the ground.

hockeyguy
10-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Not luck FF.....you got most of it the 1st time....thats excellent skill in my book! :cheering:

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-23-2010, 11:47 PM
nice haul and i agree about the dry ground.hit it after some rain and lookout!