PDA

View Full Version : Try-out run on the new E-trac

catskillcomics
10-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Got the new E-trac yesterday, got the battery charged up.. First thing I do this morning was call Angel for some advice (Thanks again Angel)
So off I go to the park, an oh boy, it was a train wreck rofl
I couldn't get the pin pointing down and ended up making massive holes to finally find the target, trying to comprehend all the numbers was dizzying :twirlingeyes:

So after an hour and few big holes, I left the park cause I didn't want to ruin a good thing there by leaving such a mess, and went to where the old hotel was.. at least there I knew I could make a mess and not have to worry.

I was getting , what I thought were decent hits, 17-40, 12-33, that were deep (8 or 9 inches or I think), but when I dug.. nothing was coming up out of the hole... certainly baffling... and after going 10, 11 inches, I would give up and fill the hole :dontknow:

The one thing I defintely do NOT like is the depth chart.. I really don't have a clue how deep the target is. Unlike DFX, it actually says 4 5 and so on, where the Etrac just puts a mark on a depth grid... that really isn't telling much as how many inches I should be digging.

I only was out for a couple hours, so I know I can't judge how I am going to like this machine or not.. I am sure, over time, I'll get a handle on it.. but I was right... to me, its like leaving the PC computer and trying to learn the MAC.

del
10-22-2010, 03:02 PM
lol lol don't worry about the holes Scott , Coinnut use to make those large craters too when he started using the e-trac ,practice at pinpointing and the sunray probe fixed that problem . with some time i'm sure you'll love that new machine.

angellionel
10-22-2010, 04:34 PM
It will click, Scott. Just hang in there. thumbsup01

coinnut
10-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Hey Scott, Glad everything went perfect rofl There are some tricks to pinpointing and are real easy. Don't worry, we will train you :blackeye: Besides, mine is getting kinda beat, so if you don't like yours, you can sell it to me for $500.00 lol Sweet :cheesysmile: I take it you are taking the DFX for the hunt tomorrow :thinkingabout:

randy
10-22-2010, 06:12 PM
There are 2 pinpoint modes. I don't remember what they are called, but I like the one that is not the factory default better. Just try the other one and see how it goes.

Yes, it will click. I hated it at first. Just stick with it -- I assure you it is worth it, and you will be glad you did.

Ill Digger
10-22-2010, 08:53 PM
I hear ya man. They're a differant animal :yes: But like the others said you'll get it. I've found alot of times a 17-anything is iron.
But you'll have fun and find alot of good stuff along the way thumbsup01
Congrats :grin: Hang in there. If you give up I'll give ya $525 for it :angelic:

catskillcomics
10-23-2010, 01:29 AM
so if you don't like yours, you can sell it to me for $500.00 lol Sweet :cheesysmile: I take it you are taking the DFX for the hunt tomorrow :thinkingabout:

Hang in there. If you give up I'll give ya $525 for it :angelic:

Okay you two yahoos, thanks for the support, but where the hell did you guys learn to haggle? Monty Python's Life of Brian?? rofl

Life of Brian - Haggle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm7K4VM_7Rg#)

Myownwings
10-23-2010, 02:56 AM
Once you start 'locking on' to targets you will see how easy the E-Trac really is to operate. The silver sound is like no other and you will soon find yourself smiling before you have even started to dig because you will be certain that you've got silver.

Jason in Enid
10-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Don't let the new detector blues get you down. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. When I first got mine, I couldn't pinpoint worth a crap. Then I finally got the hang of it, and now I don't even understand how I could have been doing it wrong. It will come.

As for the numbers, start by looking for consistant numbers in the 12-38 to 12-48 range. The Iron number (12) can go up or down by one or two but should be close to 12. The co number (38 - 48) can bounce a little too, but should stay close to one particular value.

Think of the depth scale as a 12 inch ruler. If it's in the middle, it should be about 6 inches down, 1/4 down = 3 inches and so forth. The size and orientation of the target can affect the depth reading, but for the most part I have found mine to be accurate.

Now, about hose ghosts.... Just because it goes beep doesn't mean dig. The E-Trac is TRYING to find conductive targets in CO response mode. If it gets a hint of an iron halo (rusty area in the ground surrounding iron targets) it will beep. Go back over that target VERY slow, almost not moving. If a coin is there, it will give a consistant beep, if not it will go silent or just sputter.

All my tips will be getting you the easy targets that most any machine could grab, but right now you need to learn how your E-Trac responds. After about 10 hours of use, if you are starting to get comfortable start playing with settings.

Good luck, and have fun!

Oh yeah... Get the Andy Sabich book for the E-Trac, is explains a LOT!

1147SILVER
10-27-2010, 01:56 PM
One thing that I do before I dig I make a cross then an x then shortening my swing across the target that will make the size smaller the other factor I would like to say about the depth is the size of the target that will throw off your depth I would to also say there are people on this site that has more experience than me and are better with the ETRAC

1147 silver

RobW
10-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Hey Scott, Glad everything went perfect rofl There are some tricks to pinpointing and are real easy. Don't worry, we will train you :blackeye: Besides, mine is getting kinda beat, so if you don't like yours, you can sell it to me for $500.00 lol Sweet :cheesysmile: I take it you are taking the DFX for the hunt tomorrow :thinkingabout:

Don't listen to George, when I was out with him, I couldn't believe the size of the hole :shocked04: They were HUGE! However, I understand now that I use the Etrac...the pinpointing sucks. With my garrett, I could dig a hole the size of a dime and get the dime out. Now they are the size of the search coil (almost).

I have been working mine every weekend and still don't get it. The getting is better, I think it's that austarilian accent that is throwing me lol

Cheap Thrills
10-27-2010, 03:14 PM
I don't use the pinpointer button on my SE to pinpoint I just use it once in a while to get a rough size estimate or to double check if I want to dig a target . .I just X-it both ways on the Pro-coil til' my target ends up here in the
front notch both ways then I dig. I think this would work for an Etrac as well . Got this idea from how Doc pinpoints on the Wot coil he sells .

Back to front
side to side
get it in the groove
and the target can't hide

Epi-hunter
10-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Why is everyone suddenly a poet on this site? lol

You will get the hang of it Scott. It is really a different beast than the DFX. But I think you will really like it when you get used to it. :happydance01:

The depth meter takes some getting used to. It is also not very accurate on shallow targets, I have found. I usually can tell by the footprint and sound of the target about how deep it is, and just glance at the meter to get a general idea.

Cheap Thrills
10-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Why is everyone suddenly a poet on this site? lol

You will get the hang of it Scott. It is really a different beast than the DFX. But I think you will really like it when you get used to it. :happydance01:

The depth meter takes some getting used to. It is also not very accurate on shallow targets, I have found. I usually can tell by the footprint and sound of the target about how deep it is, and just glance at the meter to get a general idea.

I've always been a poet
but am no longer afraid to show it
throw a poem to a brain
and the message tends to retain
who knows , perhaps the humor
may even prevent a tumor

Hey Epi , get ready to be barraged by the other resident poets on this thread . rofl

Diggler
10-27-2010, 05:31 PM
I don't use the pinpointer button on my SE to pinpoint I just use it once in a while to get a rough size estimate or to double check if I want to dig a target . .I just X-it both ways on the Pro-coil til' my target ends up here in the
front notch both ways then I dig. I think this would work for an Etrac as well . Got this idea from how Doc pinpoints on the Wot coil he sells .

Back to front
side to side
get it in the groove

I have been pinpointing more with the X and not using PP as much either, except for depth comparison. But I don't understand your diagram. Sorry I didn't rhyme, a little pressed for time.

Jason in Enid
10-27-2010, 06:56 PM

Back to front
side to side
get it in the groove

Sorry, I didn't understand that at all.

Here is how I pinpoint:
1. put the E-Trac in pinpoint mode.
2. move the coil left to right and right to left across target area.
3. observe the strength scale at the top of the display.
4. When you get to the strongest signal spot, slide the coil front to back and back to front.
5. repeat step 3.
6. when you get the strongest signal, repeat step 2 and step 3.
7. Right now you should be at the dead center of the strongest response from all directions
8. Take your metal probe (or other marking item), hold it straight above the center of coil (right in front of the rod connection).
9. without moving probe, slide coil to the side and push probe straight down.

You have now marked the exact spot of the target! Congratulations!

Now, if a target is angled it will throw the pinpoint off a little and items like nails will pinpoint just in front of the tip.

Also, the target depth is most accurate in the pinpoint mode when you are centered over the target.

Cheap Thrills
10-27-2010, 07:14 PM
I have been pinpointing more with the X and not using PP as much either, except for depth comparison. But I don't understand your diagram. Sorry I didn't rhyme, a little pressed for time.

I was trying to show that when you X your target you want the sound to center both side to side and front to back with the front of the coil being as far back as it can, while still sounding off on the target . On my coil the results I get are like in the picture . The arrows were meant to show the act of X-ing both ways .Good thing I don't write detector manuals . lol

Jason in Enid ,

What I was saying was how I do it NOT using the pinpoint feature at all for CENTERING the target .I guess the way I wrote it out left a lot of room for confusion .
You explained your method in a way that was more easily understood than mine and also brought out the fact that the target could be angled .

Well done . thumbsup01