PDA

View Full Version : Worst hunt with Etrac so far...

Diggler
10-24-2010, 05:44 PM
... or any detector for that matter. >:\ Just when I feel like I am getting comfortable with the Etrac I get skunked. Went to a place I have found a silver half, couple mercs, etc... Not even a zincoln. Went to 2 other nearby parks both at least 50 years old. Not even a zincoln. I sure can pinpoint those smashed screw caps though! Actually pinpointing is a breeze with Etrac. I tried multi tone, 4 tone, 2 tone, cond, fer, open screen, choked screen, man sens, auto sens, corrected for ground several times, slow pace, crawl, etc... Nada. Signals everywhere but even the few I dug I had to force a good signal. Maybe it was just a freak day with nothing under the coil? First time I can ever remember going out for 4-5 hours and getting absolutely nothing. Wife snuk a penny out in front of me and I did hit that. :ticked:

Jack Flynn
10-24-2010, 06:45 PM
I had an ugly day also but didn't get skunked! 1 wheat, 2 memorials, one nickel and one dime. It happens......We have had virtually no rain either for over 2 months. The ground is like beach sand when you can get the leshe in it.

coinnut
10-24-2010, 06:46 PM
... or any detector for that matter. >:\ Just when I feel like I am getting comfortable with the Etrac I get skunked. Went to a place I have found a silver half, couple mercs, etc... Not even a zincoln. Went to 2 other nearby parks both at least 50 years old. Not even a zincoln. I sure can pinpoint those smashed screw caps though! Actually pinpointing is a breeze with Etrac. I tried multi tone, 4 tone, 2 tone, cond, fer, open screen, choked screen, man sens, auto sens, corrected for ground several times, slow pace, crawl, etc... Nada. Signals everywhere but even the few I dug I had to force a good signal. Maybe it was just a freak day with nothing under the coil? First time I can ever remember going out for 4-5 hours and getting absolutely nothing. Wife snuk a penny out in front of me and I did hit that. :ticked:

Sometimes it just isn't your day no matter how hard you try. :ticked: I usually do better if I just relax and slow down to comfortable speed. I try not to think about the fact that I am not finding much, but that is hard to do lol Next time will be better, but try and get your wife to sneak a silver half under your coil next time lol

Jason in Enid
10-24-2010, 07:30 PM
It stinks, but it happens. We all have days like that.

Myownwings
10-24-2010, 08:04 PM
Yea, me too. Ever since I found those two half dollars my luck as been terrible.

zrickkid
10-24-2010, 09:54 PM
Sometimes its just not your day. You will surely make up for it though im sure!

RobW
10-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Happens all the time :bangahead01:. Sometimes, I just want to dig a zincoln, just to find SOMETHING. Especially when you are hunting for hours. Or you get permission to dig what seems to be a promising place, like an old house, and you find nothing, or maybe just a few modern coins.

Epi-hunter
10-25-2010, 02:07 PM
You can't find what isn't there :)

Sounds like your coil just didn't go over the coins this time around. I know what you mean though -- days like that are frustrating. :bangahead01:

Diggler
10-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Well thanks everyone for all of the encouragement. Like I said it was a first for me in over 12 years for that long of a hunt. There were times I was doubting the Etrac wishing I had my CleanSweep equipped detector. Around here there are some places where coins just can't seek deep anyway. Very shallow signals are harder for me to alert to on the Etrac. I get 3 quick blips that don't sound as crisp as say a 4-8 signal does. I guess another reason to go even slower... or maybe turn sens down to auto minus 3? I am tempted to go back to one spot in particular with another machine just to double check my ability (sanity) with the Etrac. When I find that big gold nugget horseshoe ring I might swap it for a round trip ticket to up north and spy on some of you guys who make it look so easy...

kenfen
11-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Late reply, yes, these things happen. What I hate is that I'm in an ancient park and all there is to find is junk and clad. It's just like that. Those guys in the good old days really put a hurt on the areas around here.

Regards, Ken

randy
11-27-2010, 04:46 PM
I had a pretty ugly day as well. :mad: It happens to all of us (except maybe Angel :poke:). Found a beautiful looking site on the old aerial photos, and show up to find construction equipment and a 20 foot tall mountain of dirt :bangahead01: :bangahead01: :bangahead01:. Hit the untouched fringes of the site, and a backup site that was close, and nothing but a few clads. Like you, not a single keeper at the second site (tho I didn't expect many targets there). Decided it was too cold and miserable to fight it, so spent the rest of the morning scouting other potential sites in the area from the warmth of my car.

angellionel
11-27-2010, 07:14 PM
I had a pretty ugly day as well. :mad: It happens to all of us (except maybe Angel :poke:).

Au contraire mon frere. lol I have had similar type days. ;)