PDA

View Full Version : Very Kool place yeilds 2 cents

kenfen
10-25-2010, 05:42 PM
My daughter takes ballet from a school up in the County and I took the opportunity to walk across the street while she twirled the day away to hunt a schoolyard. The school was built in the late 20's, so I thought I might find a thing or two.... To date, I've hauled out over $10 in clad from where the bleachers were. Finally a 1944 wheat pops out this day and I get the fever... no silver, just more deep 60's 70's clad and later.

So I start to leave and one of the residents of the repurposed school house (Retirement condos) stops me for a chat. He's a cool guy and proceeds to tell me about his Whites detector. Then he tells me I should go to Sparks Rd and hunt the ball fields there around the abandoned school. My daughter and I ride out there and all I can think of is Wow! Huge stone structure with no roof and off the beaten path.

Ok, so I race down to the city, drop the Ballerina off, kiss the wife, rush out the door with ETrac and tool pack in hand. I get to the site and it's just amazing. rolling hills, tons of grass, no people. I'm thinking... silver time!

I throw on my tool belt, fire up the E and hit the slopes overlooking one of the ball diamonds. Bam, 1952 Wheat, first swing... Oh boy that's a good sign... silver cometh.... LOL Nope... I combed that place like a man possessed and found a deep Memorial cent, early 60's and that's it. Place was nearly barren... not even trash.... Oh well, it was still public land and may have been hit hard over the years. All in all, it was a great place to hunt and I had a real great time, just no prizes.

I gotta find me some private land to hunt!

Regards, Ken

coinnut
10-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Glad you found a new spot Ken. I would find the trashiest part of the ball fields and put that detector to work lol It will be easier to find good targets in the trash than it would to find a good target in the vast open areas. But a new spot is a new spot and I would hit it many times before I would write it off. Hope it pays off for you!!

Jason in Enid
10-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Sometimes those awesome spots have nothing. Sometimes you have to find the right area for the goodies. I wouldn't give up on that location just yet.

zrickkid
10-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Sounds like that place has potential.

leslie(nova scotia)
10-26-2010, 07:10 AM
From the land of the Bluenose....trust the next led will pan out youz. Just never know! Keep the faith.

RobW
10-26-2010, 07:51 AM
It all depends why you go out. I hunt some places, that have potential for some great things, but it's the beauty of the place that draws me.....or is it the otherway around? They go hand in hand. I have a favorite park I like to hunt out in the country...it slopes upwards, at the top there is an OLD stone wall, with an early 1800's church in the background on the hill, as the sun is setting, it is an amazing sight...never found anything but clad there, but I still go back.

jkress
10-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Bummer about your first outing there. Sounds like it has potential.

Many times I have started a hunt with very high hopes of Barbers and Seateds only to be brought back down to reality. But you gotta keep trying, sooner or later we'll find a spot that holds the goods.

Might be worth another try?

randy
10-26-2010, 05:45 PM
I would definitely hit that site again -- a wheatie on your first swing says it isn't hunted out, at least to me. I have one site I didn't hit silver 'til my 4th visit. I keep going back to sites when I learn more and more about the E-Trac -- each time I move up a notch on the learning curve, I feel all sites I've already hunted are new again to me. Good luck.