PDA

View Full Version : Coil question for Tesoro Silver Saber II....

freefall
10-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Hello everyone, I have recently aquired a Silver Saber II machine with what I believe is the standard coil or head (8 inch concentric.). I'm interested in upgrading this coil with a newer one, be it larger or smaller in size. I have read that going with a web type coil will give a little better performance. Anybody have or still use a Silver Saber II and experimented with different coils willing to share their finds? Thanks in advance, Karl

Cheap Thrills
10-27-2010, 02:25 PM
The coil you have is a good all around coil for the Sabre ( I have one on my Golden Sabre 2) . The 9x8 will give you a bit more coverage and not feel any heavier ( I didn't notice any increase in depth though ) . The 12x10 may give you a very little bit more depth and coverage than the 2 previously mentioned coils but tends to ( at least to me) get front heavy rather quickly . The 5.75 will get you closer to the metal bars at tot lot's but you're loosing a lot of ground coverage and a bit of depth .The 11 is REAL heavy and you loose the ability to find some of the really small targets ( a cache hunters delight).
My California ground tends to be mineralized so for my Golden Sabre 2 ( and Tesoro built Troy X-2 )I bought a used but like new 7 Widescan with cover for $55.00 .Remember if your going to buy another coil be sure that it is A FIVE PIN coil . The Silver , Golden and Troy X-2 cannot be manually ground balanced so unless you have the right soil you are going to loose a bit of depth there also .
These are my observations hopefully more Tesoro users will come along and share their experiences so you have more to go on .

H H ,
Baba

del
10-27-2010, 04:11 PM
those are very accurate experiences with those coils Sheik :yes: and great advice for you Karl . i couldn't add to much more to that. ;)

Diggler
10-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Yah good descriptions Sheik. I have use all but the 11. I really like the 12x10. It is easy to pinpoint with and great depth as well. But my favorite coil that RARELY EVER leaves my Tesoro in the CleanSweep 3x18. EXTREMELY stable can usually max sensitivity. Nothing in the world is easier to pinpoint with. Covers massive amounts of ground. Dimes 5, quarter 7, sensitive on small gold, cherry pickers delight! The CleanSweep makes detecting fun! If I were to get a new coil I would get the 5.75, but it would come attached to a Compadre. 5.75 is an impressive coil but the slightly higher Khz (12khz same as Silver Sabre II) and the ED180 discrimination of the Compadre is a great combo for small gold. Good luck deciding!

freefall
10-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks very much for the replies and the wealth of information given!! Happy Hunting to all!! :)