PDA

View Full Version : Great day detecting!

SeabeeRon
11-21-2009, 09:05 PM
I think today may have been one of my best detecting days ever and it wasn’t about the finds! I was at an elementary school picking up a few pieces of clad when my cell rings and it is my wife. The “friend of a friend” needed help. Seems her little girl lost a ring while playing soccer at another elementary school about 2 miles away. I head on over there and meet them and get the general area she thinks she lost it. At first the kids were everywhere around my coil, I could hardly swing it! I suggested that if they all had something else to do, I would contact them if I had any luck. That made the hunt allot easier! Within 20 minutes of everybody leaving I found it!! It is a silver ring with an Opal setting, very nice. I took a couple pix with my cell phone, but they aren’t that great. Come to find out this had been the little girl’s mother’s ring and the mother’s father had made it by hand for her so it has tremendous sentimental value for them! I had their address, so I swung by their house to return it. They wanted to give me some cash but I said “No Thanks”. Then they said to take a couple of T-Shirts. Turns out this little girl’s grandfather is Jack O’Neill, the creator of the wet suit back in the mid ‘50s up in San Francisco. He then moved to Santa Cruz and started the O’Neill Surf Shop from whence came the whole line of surf and beach wear, not to mention surfboards and wetsuits! I used to hang out at his shop when I was a beginner surfer back in the mid ‘60s. All in all in was one great day swinging the ‘ol coil!!

Bentfork
11-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Cool Daddy-O! 8)

Great job there, Ron.

Sometimes it isn't about keepers.

G.

Dave
11-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Great post! Congratulations on getting the ring returned!

Epi-hunter
11-21-2009, 09:23 PM
GREAT story Ron! I agree with you... that kind of day means way more to me than anything. You just can't beat that feeling after finding something that has significant value to the owner that they lost. Congrats!!!! :) thumbsup01

angellionel
11-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Congrats Ron! Nice going. thumbsup01

coinnut
11-21-2009, 09:27 PM
Wow great day all around. First the ring returned and the nostalgia gets ya lol I bet that brought back a ton of memories for you, and you made some memories for that little girl too! Congrats thumbsup01

beepn
11-21-2009, 10:11 PM
You had an excellent day.Great story.Thanks for sharing it.Bill

Snowy
11-21-2009, 10:31 PM
I think that's a fantastic story and I'm so glad I was given the opportunity to read it. Thanks for sharing!

OkieDigger
11-21-2009, 10:40 PM
Great post!

catskillcomics
11-22-2009, 06:36 AM
Great Job Ron thumbsup01 You've made some people happy.. and we certainly need more of that in today's world

MNDigger
11-22-2009, 08:11 AM
Great story Ron! Glad to see you were able to help her out!