PDA

View Full Version : 1838 SEATED SILVER DIME & THOUGHT I HAD A GOLD COIN FOR A SECOND

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-29-2010, 07:52 PM
headed out to a cellar hole me and foundation hunter went to once awhile back.
decided to give it another shot and work it for all it's worth.

when i saw the glint of gold in the hole my heart almost stopped! :shocked04:
turns out it's an encased 1900 indian head penny in a real glass is covering the front and looks like real gold encasement with a straight broken shank
any ideas what it was used for? :confused:
also any ideas on the oval thinga-ma-jig with a bent shank :confused:
a pretty worn 1838 seated dime,a dandy or cloak button,a domed blue glass bridle rosette and a few other little keepers.not a bad hunt at all.
Gary got a matron head large cent.not sure what the date is yet and a couple IH's.
OH! AND ANOTHER OX-KNOB!!!!!!

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-29-2010, 07:53 PM
more pics

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-29-2010, 07:54 PM
more pics

angellionel
10-29-2010, 08:00 PM
Nope, not a bad hunt at all. thumbsup01 Sweet old seated dime, and very nice Indian Head cent. :yes:

coinnut
10-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Hey, I found one of those Indians in a case too, a long time ago. Mine was from a necklace. There may be a spot on yours where the loop broke off. It's cool to see an Indian in that great shape. On mine, the only thing that wasn't brand new looking was the rim. It was green :crying02: Gorgeous Rosette, great Seated and some nice other finds. I'd say that was one of your better hunts!! The oval thing looks like a cuff link. Nice hunt. :clapping:

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-29-2010, 08:17 PM
Hey, I found one of those Indians in a case too, a long time ago. Mine was from a necklace. There may be a spot on yours where the loop broke off. It's cool to see an Indian in that great shape. On mine, the only thing that wasn't brand new looking was the rim. It was green :crying02: Gorgeous Rosette, great Seated and some nice other finds. I'd say that was one of your better hunts!! The oval thing looks like a cuff link. Nice hunt. :clapping:

thanks G! i was told by neil in west jersey that the ih and oval thing are commonly called collar studs or collar buttons with the straight shank

coinnut
10-29-2010, 08:19 PM
thanks G! i was told by neil in west jersey that the ih and oval thing are called collar tacks with the straight shank

Is there a missing ball on the end of that? I've found some that has a small balled end on them. I always thought they were just another style of cuff link. Never thought about the collar though :thinkingabout: Sound like a turn of the century item to me.

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Is there a missing ball on the end of that? I've found some that has a small balled end on them. I always thought they were just another style of cuff link. Never thought about the collar though :thinkingabout: Sound like a turn of the century item to me.

hard to tell if it had a ball or not.neil is pretty good at calling stuff ,it works for me

coinnut
10-29-2010, 08:27 PM
hard to tell if it had a ball or not.neil is pretty good at calling stuff ,it works for me

Works for me too. That must have looked pretty cool being pinned on like that. One fashionable guy lol The thing I was thinking of, was a cuff link and not like yours. I just saw the Indian picture showing the back. I must have skimmed through it before. Nothing like what I was thinking of. But what a unique find.

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Works for me too. That must have looked pretty cool being pinned on like that. One fashionable guy lol The thing I was thinking of, was a cuff link and not like yours. I just saw the Indian picture showing the back. I must have skimmed through it before. Nothing like what I was thinking of. But what a unique find.

yeah must have looked sharp with a pair of them on the collars.the coin itself is gold plated too

del
10-29-2010, 08:59 PM
hey a nice successful day out Davey , my take on the indian would be either a cufflink but i'm leaning on tie-tac or even used as an fancy gold plated pocket watch anchor the chain would fasten to . the curved button type thing is very similar to a thumb plate to an older pistol too? just a thought.the rossete is pretty cool , whats with you and the cobalt glass all of a sudden :confused: . nice old seated dime thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-29-2010, 09:07 PM
hey a nice successful day out Davey , my take on the indian would be either a cufflink but i'm leaning on tie-tac or even used as an fancy gold plated pocket watch anchor the chain would fasten to . the curved button type thing is very similar to a thumb plate to an older pistol too? just a thought.the rossete is pretty cool , whats with you and the cobalt glass all of a sudden :confused: . nice old seated dime thumbsup01

ya may be right about the pocket watch theory but that curved plate is way too tiny for a pistol plate i think.i was grumbling when i saw the blue thinking what the hell a buggy reflector grrrr then i flipped it over and ahhhhhh :drool: a bridle rosette! you ever see one like this? i haven't. :confused:

zrickkid
10-29-2010, 09:33 PM
super cool items and what a hunt, my heartfelt congratulations to you. thumbsup01

jkress
10-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Awesome dime! :peace:

Nice IH too, but I can see how that baby got you going. More than one gold colored pull tab has looked just about right in the hole to me. :bangahead01:

I'd wager a bet you'll pull that gold coin sooner or later.

Congrats.