PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a White's Surf Dual Field PI ?

CTDirtFisher
10-30-2010, 06:46 PM
I am 98% set on this detector to get into the water with... I'll be hunting salt water... and in the surf...

I know it is a PI and does not descriminate...

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this machine...

Paul

coinnut
10-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Hey Paul, I can't tell you about the Whites, since I don't water hunt. Someone who does will tell you about it, I'm sure. But I just wanted you to know most of the guys at the club use the Garrett Infinium or the Minelab Excalibur. Not sure if that helps you any lol but you did say you were only 98% sure ;)

Lowjiber
10-30-2010, 08:13 PM
I don't have a dual-field, but have the earlier single-field Surfmaster Pro. I have a couple of friends with the DF's, they love them.

If you've never hunted with a PI machine (any brand), get ready for a shock. At the beach, it seems as though there are two enemies...hairpins and nails. PI machines, as you said, don't discriminate...period. They hit on everything. That's why some folks prefer a discrimination machine like the Excals that can help eliminate those pests.

Once you get a feel for the PI's, you can fairly easily discern bobby pins and nails from good targets. BP's will actually give you a quick double-hit, but you gotta be listening or you'll think it's one sound. Nails definitely scratch as opposed to the solid hit from a coin or ring as the field hits the edges. I know it sounds like voodoo, but it works.

One more comment about PI's. Some folks take them outta the box and start air-testing. They are often disappointed before they ever hit the beach. Generally speaking, a PI can't find a dime at two inches in the air, but will send you digging to China after the tiny gold back of an ear ring in the surf. I like 'em.

CTDirtFisher
10-31-2010, 06:07 AM
I don't have a dual-field, but have the earlier single-field Surfmaster Pro. I have a couple of friends with the DF's, they love them.

If you've never hunted with a PI machine (any brand), get ready for a shock. At the beach, it seems as though there are two enemies...hairpins and nails. PI machines, as you said, don't discriminate...period. They hit on everything. That's why some folks prefer a discrimination machine like the Excals that can help eliminate those pests.

Once you get a feel for the PI's, you can fairly easily discern bobby pins and nails from good targets. BP's will actually give you a quick double-hit, but you gotta be listening or you'll think it's one sound. Nails definitely scratch as opposed to the solid hit from a coin or ring as the field hits the edges. I know it sounds like voodoo, but it works.

One more comment about PI's. Some folks take them outta the box and start air-testing. They are often disappointed before they ever hit the beach. Generally speaking, a PI can't find a dime at two inches in the air, but will send you digging to China after the tiny gold back of an ear ring in the surf. I like 'em.

Thank you sir!

That is EXACTLY what I have been reading... been gleaming all of the beach forums I can... I know it going to take a little time to learn, but that is true of all machines... I red about the small delay that gives your the double on the bp's and that iron is not a small smooth sound like a coin or jewelry...

I'm heading to Salk Lake City and Mesquite TX this week... I'm going to order the DF PI on mondya with a scoop and gear and be in the ocen next weekend :-)

zrickkid
10-31-2010, 11:19 AM
good luck Paul hope you do well!

coinnut
10-31-2010, 06:06 PM
Hey Paul, don't forget to glue a couple of magnets inside the bottom of your scoop. You will appreciate it when it catches that iron that would have fallen through it a million times rofl Good luck and can't wait to see what you get.