PDA

View Full Version : How to use the analyze feature on the V3i.

zrickkid
10-30-2010, 07:01 PM
I just had a couple quick questions for all you V3i users out there. First in the analyze mode will you always get the typical camel humps in all 3 frequencies or does that feature seem to no work so well on deep coins over 6 inches or so. Im sure im passing up good targets because if I dont see those humps I wont dig the target. Second,....what type of VDI will Indian heads ring up on the V3 and what frequency will they be strongest in? Thanks for advance for your replies.

Lowjiber
10-30-2010, 07:57 PM
I can't answer the IH question, as the only ones I've ever found have been with an MXT.

However, I've never seen the camel humps fail me...even down to 9. Admittedly, when using the lower filters (Deep Silver, for example) the swing speed can somewhat distort the shape, but the hump is still clearly there.

Perhaps others have a different perspective.

CyberSage
11-01-2010, 07:32 AM
I would not recommend using the Analyze mode to determine whether you should dig a target or or not. A Silver Dime in the same hole or in close proximity to trash will not produce the desired camel hump in a lot of instances. Instead, if you are coin shooting you should be simply looking for the 2 most dominant frequencies in pin point mode. If the 7.5kHz and 2.5Khz are dominant then there is a good chance you have a coin. It does not matter what order they are in. What is important is that the 22.5kHz is the weakest response wise. Nickels of course do not respond this way, but it will get you the vast majority of coins. VDI response on deep coins can vary based on the mineralization strength of your soil and depth of coin. An Indian head for example air test from 58 to 61 for me. As the coin gets deeper in my moderate soil the VDI will eventually raise to the point of wrapping to the negative side. So, the answer to your question is the deeper a coin gets the less consistency you will get with VDI feedback. Don't let this worry you. The V3 has a lot of feedback to base your dig or not dig decision.

1. Look for repeatable tones in multiple directions. If you turn at 90 degrees and get an iron range response then it is probably a rusty nail or wire point.

2. The pinpoint center of the target should match the motion mode center of the target. If you are drawn to one side during pin point then most likely it is deep iron.

3. If the 22.5 kHz frequency is the weakest in the pin point mode it is most likely a coin. (except nickels)

4. Dig at depth. You have to be careful with this one. Not all old coins are buried deeply, but if all the above criteria are met and the depth shows at 5 inches or more dig!

Don't get to caught up in VDI numbers properly identifying targets. This only works on shallow targets for the most part. Learn to use Tone ID and listen for repeatable response patterns. One of the best things you can do starting out is to dig all targets for awhile. It will help you understand what your detector is telling you. This is my take on how things work. You will need to apply any information gleaned from here or anywhere on the web to your hunting conditions. Have fun and good luck.

Jack

zrickkid
11-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Thats the best advice I have had in a while it sure changes my idea of what to dig. I probably missed a lot of targets before I read this!