PDA

View Full Version : Colonial hunt with Del

coinnut
10-30-2010, 07:21 PM
It was another nice weather day... I just love Fall :clapping: Finds took a while and were spaced apart a lot. I can't believe how barren some of them fields can be. Not even shot gun shells lol I did manage to get some nice targets using that 5 coil and walking very slowly. Puts me to sleep sometimes :yes: Got a couple of flat buttons, an older spoon, 3 two piece buttons and what I thought might be a light walking stick. But I think Del is right, it may be a parasol handle. It's sterling silver :happydance01: and the filling is not wood, or bone, but cork :confused: Light enough for the ladies to not get tired of holding, but strong enough for the stamped silver to not get crushed. Looks like a hallmark, but I can't make it out too well. Couple of Wheats, a thimble and lots of scrap targets today, rounds out my day. I know how much you like duplicate finds Scott, so I found 2 of them Eagle cuff buttons rofl Thanks for leaving them for me :clapping:

Epi-hunter
10-30-2010, 07:31 PM
I love that parasol sterling handle!!

Love all your finds, George and Dan... absolutely love the history. :cheesysmile:

angellionel
10-30-2010, 08:04 PM
I do like that sterling silver piece. :cheesysmile: It must have read very nicely on the E-Trac. :grin: Those are some sweet buttons too. thumbsup01

coinnut
10-30-2010, 08:40 PM
The only think that I'm not certain about is the fact that the Sterling Silver stamp and the little flower design are both upright when the handle is pointing down :confused: not up like a parasol would :dontknow: So I don't know lol

sniffy
10-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Somethin to squeeze on when you start having copper shakes. :cheesysmile:

coinnut
10-30-2010, 09:16 PM
Somethin to squeeze on when you start having copper shakes. :cheesysmile:

I'm having some of those right now lol

jkress
10-30-2010, 09:51 PM
Man..... you found some really great stuff again! :clapping:

Love the buttons and especially the parasol handle.

You must have quite the collection. How do you display all of your goodies?

Congrats

catskillcomics
10-31-2010, 06:06 AM
Oh, so you guys went back to the place we went to last weekend.. nice hunt..

I don't know how I missed those cuff buttons :dontknow: must of been because I was just getting hot when it was getting dark... lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-31-2010, 08:59 AM
wow some nice relics G.how did Dan do?

Cheap Thrills
10-31-2010, 10:46 AM
Great stuff George!! 8) thumbsup01

zrickkid
10-31-2010, 10:47 AM
Thats a nice array of finds!

del
10-31-2010, 03:09 PM

even George struggled with some of those finds but saved face with a couple of decent buttons and the nice silver handle . thumbsup01 nice work buddy :clapping:
as for me i have been going through an unusual october detecting drought with all of the last 4 weeks worth of finds , it still would be a very weak display of finds to photograph lol lol but this to shall pass and i know something very nice will wind up under my coil very soon :smitten: , i can feel it . :yes:

coinnut
10-31-2010, 04:59 PM
Oh, so you guys went back to the place we went to last weekend.. nice hunt..

I don't know how I missed those cuff buttons :dontknow: must of been because I was just getting hot when it was getting dark... lol

You didn't miss them lol You weren't there long enogh to scan that whole area. They were very hard to find though :confused: very close to iron all around. Not very deep either, all under 4 inches. We hit the first site where the ticks were and that's where the handle came from. The buttons were from the last site we hit, where your button came from.

Man..... you found some really great stuff again! :clapping:

Love the buttons and especially the parasol handle.

You must have quite the collection. How do you display all of your goodies?

Congrats

Thanks, I have them all displayed all over the cellar rofl That means I'm working on it ;) My winter project is to get that section of the cellar in shape and put them in the display cases I bought two years ago lol

Great stuff George!! 8) thumbsup01

Thats a nice array of finds!

Thanks Guys. :)

even George struggled with some of those finds but saved face with a couple of decent buttons and the nice silver handle .

It was definitely a lot harder than I tought it was going to be. I guess my troubles started when I realized my headphones were at home lol With all that noise ET was making ,at least it kept the hunters away from us :cheesysmile:

randy
10-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Sweet <: Nothing like finding silver relics :clapping:

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-31-2010, 07:38 PM
just looked at that silver handle again! WOW! THAT IS AMAZING!

coinnut
10-31-2010, 07:43 PM
just looked at that silver handle again! WOW! THAT IS AMAZING!

I was kinda dissapointed when it popped out. I was expecting a copper and was a bit bummed. But then I realized what it was and that it was silver, so all was better :smitten: I had two, almost copper hits that day, both of which I really thought would be coppers, but it was not to be. I think someone up there was looking out for me that day. I don't think I would have made it back alive if I pulled a couple of coppers out too :blackeye: :blackeye: lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-31-2010, 07:59 PM
I was kinda dissapointed when it popped out. I was expecting a copper and was a bit bummed. But then I realized what it was and that it was silver, so all was better :smitten: I had two, almost copper hits that day, both of which I really thought would be coppers, but it was not to be. I think someone up there was looking out for me that day. I don't think I would have made it back alive if I pulled a couple of coppers out too :blackeye: :blackeye: lol

Dan woulda shovel bopped ya i bet! hey i'd take that sweet handle anyday over a copper.nice craftmanship on that baby.wonder if that colonial old fogey went down when that stick broke? rofl

coinnut
10-31-2010, 08:10 PM
Dan woulda shovel bopped ya i bet! hey i'd take that sweet handle anyday over a copper.nice craftmanship on that baby.wonder if that colonial old fogey went down when that stick broke? rofl

I'm starting to consider an armour suit for them heavy copper days lol I'm thinking that handle is around 1915 :shocked04: I'm just not feeling it to be that old for some reason. lol Maybe it's the propeller type flower design that resembles the early bi-plane propellers. That why I'm thinking the teens or twenties.

RobW
11-01-2010, 11:11 AM
I wish I could have joined you guys this weekend. Thanks again for the invite!!! Hopefully sometime soon. I seem to be in the same category with Del, nothing too good lately. That is a very unusual find, but pretty darn cool, wonder what happened to the rest of the parisal?

pulltabsteve
11-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Love those buttons!!! Nice looking relic hunt George thumbsup01