PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!

Irregular
11-01-2010, 05:18 AM
Yes, a NOOB here with a quick question. Using my brand new MXT Pro yesterday in Relic Mode, discrimination and gain set to the triangles, I got a VDI rating of +74 on a target (buckle appearing on the display). A couple of inches down I uncovered a piece of iron measuring roughly 2x4 and about 3/8 thick. Placing the coil near the object would put the MXT into overload, even after turning the gain setting way down (2-3).

That last observation isn't my greatest concern and may even be normal, but I'm wondering why I'd get a positive VDI reading at all, not to mention a high one on a chunk of iron. Heavy, rusty, sporting cobby welds and sticking to a magnet were characteristics that make me think of ferrous material.

Again to emphasize, this MXT is new to me and you might as well say I'm brand new to the activity. Rightfully so I'm looking at the user and not the machine as the issue for any hiccups or anomolies for awhile, but would like to rule out there's something funky in the machine.

Any input will be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Lowjiber
11-01-2010, 06:44 AM
Sounds to me like you've got the trigger in the forward position...Relic Mode. Many of us who hunt the MXT prefer this mode for a variety of reasons that I'll explain later.

+74 (or even higher) is common for larger iron items such as you recovered when in Relic Mode.

Below I've attached a snippet from the Relic Mode section of the original MXT manual (not the Pro, but they're the same in Relic Mode).

I'm going to email you several things that have helped folks get a firm footing when starting out with the MXT.

pulltabsteve
11-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll get all the help you need from Lowjiber. :yes: You'll enjoy it here. Lots of experience and nice people thumbsup01
The MXT/MXT Pro is an awesome machine. You'll be digging keepers in no time.

Irregular
11-02-2010, 04:12 AM
Thanks for the encouraging welcome, pulltabsteve. You're right about Mr. Lowjiber- instant detailed results, just ask question! He's a great asset to this forum (no :embarrassed: allowed, Lowjiber).

Here's to a future filled with keepers for all!