PDA

View Full Version : Saturdays hunt

Rusthunter
11-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Got permission at this cool old house a couple weeks back and have been hunting it for about a week now. Saturday I invited Spike to go with me and we headed out to the house. I decided to hunt an area of the yard that I had not hunted very hard because the land owner told me it was all fill from where the pool was added. I have found a few silver coins at this site but nothing picture worthy. A few minutes into the hunt I hit the buff nickel. Then the finds kept coming. silver washington, $1 trade token, 3 merc dimes,2 sterling silver necklaces (not pictured), a squirrel that followed us every where we went. Some times within 5' of us. Also found some sort on makeup compact thats really cool looking will have to take a pic of it. My favorite find of the day was the button. Any one have a good id on it?

Rusthunter
11-01-2010, 09:23 AM
more pics. I ended up loosing the quarter and $1 trade token to the land owner. :bangahead01: Did not really care about the quarter but really wish I had not shown him the token. I hate to hide my finds from land owners but this guy wants every thing that is found. I guess IF I go back there I will have a pocket of stuff to show and a pocket of stuff to keep to myself.

The back of the button says American Button Newark

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-01-2010, 10:57 AM
very nice hunt! button is a WWI or WWII great seal US army button

RobW
11-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Nice Digs!

sjv
11-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Does this look like yours? Its a WW11 Army button. These were on Ebay.

Cheap Thrills
11-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Very nice finds .There's a lot of people out there that are always willing to cash in on your work and skills . They think you should feel priviledged just to dig it up for them .

coinnut
11-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Great looking finds :clapping: There can always be a disagreement when people start finding nice things. If I get permission from a property owner to hunt, and they don't say I want some of what you find, then I don't really feel obliged to show them everything. But I can usually tell who would want everything found and if I ever do show someone something and they want it, I give it to them. There is lots more treasure fun to be had anyways. I usually leave them with the thought that they need to carefully prepare the item for preseveration and keep it safe from being lost or ruined. I tell them there is more to treasure hunting than just digging up the finds. There is a responsibility to preserve the finds for future generations. :hammer: Sometimes that sways them, but at least they may take better care of it than to give it to junior to be lost again. 8/ Nice Great Seal button and I think they started that design in 1902?

Rusthunter
11-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the ID on the button..

I dont mind at all sharing with the land owner if I find something he really wants, but I would like to take a few things home with me as well. I reached into my pocket and pulled out a few things to show him and he took every thing. Glad I didnt show him everything I found. Just wish the token wasnt in the handful. I really like the trade tokens.

RobW
11-02-2010, 07:38 AM
People suck. Yes we do this for the fun, adventure, thrill, excitement. But these machines cost money and we spend a lot of our precious time out there....mostly digging trash...except Angel lol....
It's nice to have something to show for our efforts, but for us, it would still be sitting there in the ground and with few exceptions, just deteriorating
My wife gets frustrated at me, spending a whole day out, and coming back with a few dollars in clad and maybe a silver coin, she asks me what my haul is worth and I say oh, maybe $8 to which she remarks I could make that in one hour flipping burgers...and I have to justify what I just spent on an E-Trac!

They are still great finds.

BlackZ51Vett
11-02-2010, 07:49 AM
Button looks to be a great seal button...prob 1902-1910 era.... great finds !!!

del
11-02-2010, 02:06 PM
some cool relics Rusthunter , the compact is a neat find as is the early Army button . :clapping: :clapping:
too bad you couldn't keep the token