PDA

View Full Version : Oldest coin yet and its Silver!

Spike
11-01-2010, 08:23 PM
After Saturday's butt-kicking by Rusthunter I went to a field on Sunday where we found a few old buttons and maybe two old pennies. I was there without my bad luck charm (Rusthunter) :poke: for maybe a hour and hit a screaming 12-46. Thought &quot:daydream: boy another LC, but I figured with my luck it was a can- as loud as it was dug the plug and pinpointed it in a dirt clod too small for a LC. :thinkingabout: Broke it open and <: out popped this 1833 Capped Bust Dime :stretcher: -perfect!! Every detail and no wear -and then I see where a plow or something hit it and dented it and scratched it. :crying02: I'm not complaining, I am still <: Also found this old button -I think it's from a Civil War uniform- maybe stuck on their collar --- :dontknow: any ideas?

coinnut
11-01-2010, 08:30 PM
<: on the capped bust dime...it's been a while since I've seen one :crying02: They are always a shock to get. See if you can load them pictures so we can have a look at the button for you. If it's small it may be a cuff button. Congrats on the old old silver :clapping: I see the pictures now, they downloaded when I looked it over again.

catskillcomics
11-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Nice capped bust dime!!! I've always thought those were the neatest looking silver coins... I hope someday to find one, but who am I kidding... haven't even found a seated yet rofl

GREAT JOB :beerbuddy:

li tom
11-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Man that is a fantastic Capped,what a shame about the gash,but I know you are still a happy fellow.

angellionel
11-01-2010, 08:39 PM
That is a sweet capped bust dime. :clapping: Beautiful detail, and beautiful coin even with the gash. :smitten:

hockeyguy
11-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Hey Spike? That is an amazing find in my book kiddo.....great job and congrats! Hat's of ot ya' :peace: <: :clapping: :cheering:

coinnut
11-01-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm not real good on buttons, but that may be an infantry button or lapel pin with the top number designating the Regiment and the bottom letter designating the Company. Rough guess at age ?? Somewhere newer than 1878. But that's just a guess. I have seen that before, but I can't find it in the one book I have. I need more books lol Super Capped Bust...scrape or no scrape :clapping:

Spike
11-01-2010, 09:21 PM
It'.s more like a hat pin on the back and has burs on it to keep it from turning when it was worn. :dontknow:

jkress
11-01-2010, 10:11 PM
:shocked04:

Both finds are treasures for sure.

The dime is in incredible shape.... just a little bit of environmental damage. Nothing you can do about that. It's a gorgeous coin to add to your collection.

Love the button too. A nice little chunk of history.

A big congrats to you. :clapping:

coinnut
11-01-2010, 10:26 PM
It'.s more like a hat pin on the back and has burs on it to keep it from turning when it was worn. :dontknow:

Here is a page that has one without any company or regiment designation. They call it a hat pin or lapel pin. I'm sure someone can locate yours and get you a date on it. I'm thinking WW1 or earlier on yours. The one pictured doesn't look too old.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/41968198/vintage-military-brass-crossed-rifles

Rusthunter
11-01-2010, 11:25 PM
kinda strange when you hunt with me you find nothing. Yet when you are alone you just so happen to find all these nice coins..... hmmm bet you got that one cheap with the big cut in it. :poke:.. I am kidding of course very nice coin. Maybe we can get out soon to do some more hunting. Cant believe we missed that one as many times we hunted that field.

del
11-02-2010, 06:04 AM
:shocked04: :shocked04:stretcher: wow Spike the detail on that bust Dime is awesome thumbsup01 :peace: huge congrats on that one :clapping: :clapping: the other item looks to be a collar pin and i agree probably around WW1 or WW2 era , a very cool find as well . :happydance01:

Dan

RobW
11-02-2010, 07:23 AM
kinda strange when you hunt with me you find nothing. Yet when you are alone you just so happen to find all these nice coins..... hmmm bet you got that one cheap with the big cut in it. :poke:.. I am kidding of course very nice coin. Maybe we can get out soon to do some more hunting. Cant believe we missed that one as many times we hunted that field.

He just doesn't bring you along to the good spots lol

Great find. :clapping: Love them Capped busts, their my favorites :smitten:! Great detail, too bad about the scrape, but it still a great find and really gets the heart a pumping!

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-02-2010, 08:04 AM
very nice hunt! and i agree with the WWI or WWII thoughts on the collar button.very nice dime congrats!

Beefcake
11-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Oh man!!! That thing was mint!!!! What a bummer with the plow strike! That is one beautiful coin there!!!

Jason in Enid
11-02-2010, 03:57 PM
What an awesome coin! Bummer about the gouge, at least you know you didn't do it. Congrats on a great hunt!

tanacat
11-03-2010, 09:16 AM
:clapping: wow two great finds...Yeah, at least it wasn't you that gouged it- you'd be even more :ticked: :bangahead01: :mad: :ticked: :bangahead01: :angry:

Epi-hunter
11-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Great finds -- that dime is incredible!!! The gash on it makes me :crying02:

zrickkid
11-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Its still a sweet coin, gash or not!

milco
11-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Very nice finds and sweet capped bust dime!