PDA

View Full Version : Old Field Hunt - What is it?

milco
11-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Last Saturday I was out hunting in a bean field where there used to be an old farm for around four hours. I found two memorials as the only coins and no kidding, about 35+ pounds of trash and other iron and misc items. I had to make several trips to my car to unload. Among the finds was this. Any ideas on what it is would be very helpful. It is most certainly made of brass. Thanks!

jkress
11-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Gotta say... I have no clue what that is or was. Sorry. It is an interesting piece though. :confused:

Sounds like you pulled a lot of trash. I know when my pants start sliding down... it's time to unload my pouch. lol

At least you found a couple of wheats to keep you focused. Hopefully you'll pull a good keeper or two from there.

Good luck Milco.

del
11-05-2010, 02:30 AM
see if you could detect or take a walk after the farmer plows and before he plants , the fresh churned up soil will give you lots of clues (like glass or old brick fragments ) as to whether there was an old homesite in a particular area of the field plus after a good rain you could also find arrow points . the curious piece you found is puzzling but a good bet its from sometype of farming machinery.

Dan

milco
11-05-2010, 07:15 AM
I know when my pants start sliding down... it's time to unload my pouch. lol At least you found a couple of wheats to keep you focused. Hopefully you'll pull a good keeper or two from there. Good luck Milco.

I know what you mean about the pants. I wish they were wheats, but they were memorials.

milco
11-05-2010, 07:18 AM
see if you could detect or take a walk after the farmer plows and before he plants , the fresh churned up soil will give you lots of clues (like glass or old brick fragments ) as to whether there was an old homesite in a particular area plus after a good rain you could also find arrow points . the curious piece you found is puzzling but a good bet its from sometime of farming machinery.
Dan

Thanks for lookin' Dan. I am planning to hit this in the spring after they plow. I know there was a farm here from old aerials, photos and maps, plus there are foundations and a cellar hole in the woods. A farm was on this property from around 1870's to the 1950's. I hunted around the foundations too but the ground has been manipulated alot in there. They weren't too neat about it when they tore thise place down. My previous visit was a walk around and I found old glass, metal and iron just eyeballing them. There's got to be an old coin or two somewhere in there.

RobW
11-05-2010, 09:51 AM
I had a day like that 2 weeks ago. Luckily I did fnd a silver quarter to make my day though. But that place has potential. But I definatly have no clue as to your find.....good luck!

coinnut
11-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Has to be some good coins hiding there :confused: You can tell by what you already found that no one has wanted to get through the junk to find the goods. But don't overlook all that scrap brass, aluminum and copper you may be throwing away. It could add up quickly to 50 bucks or more. Can't figure out what that piece would be used for, especially how it was mounted?? Keep at that place.

wild willy
11-06-2010, 06:40 AM
isnt it a heel plate? willy

coinnut
11-06-2010, 08:51 PM
isnt it a heel plate? willy

Could be?? Just how would you attach it? But a better guess than I had lol I have no clue :yes:

jkress
11-06-2010, 09:36 PM
I wish they were wheats, but they were memorials.

oops.... wishful thinking I guess.

wild willy
11-07-2010, 04:06 AM
i found tons of those at a old house site in rockland wich was a shoe town. i just assumed thats what it was. willy

coinnut
11-07-2010, 08:58 AM
i found tons of those at a old house site in rockland wich was a shoe town. i just assumed thats what it was. willy

Sounds good to me willy thumbsup01 Maybe it was pointy enough to just hammer in or crimp something on it, or maybe it was just inside the heel for support. Great guess.