PDA

View Full Version : BEST INDIAN HEAD I EVER DUG

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-05-2010, 08:33 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i dug this last week with my 1838 seated dime but,what i thought was glass ended up being plastic and it turned opaque or cloudy on me.i popped out the plastic and you can really get a good look at the condition of this 1900 IH. amazing it held up 110 years underground and water never got in under the plastic and killed this coin still has mint luster on it. some things in this hobby don't make sense sometimes :thinkingabout:
and i forgot i dug this old axe head at a cellar hole.had it soaking in a coffee can in WD-40 for a year now rofl

RobW
11-05-2010, 09:30 AM
That's nice! What does the back look like? How do you think it ended up in plastic? A collector dropped it?

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-05-2010, 11:55 AM
no it was some collar stud thing or as del said maybe a pocket watch stud that the watch chain hooked to on his vest.here's the back side of the encasing.
i can't seem to get the coin out without breaking the encasement.i may just leave it as is.at most it's a $20 IH out of the case. it's a better conversation piece if left as found.

coinnut
11-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Boy them Indians look nice when they are brand new. We should start making them again, even if they are zincs. :ticked: At least they would look better when found. Nice axe head too :clapping: I'd definetely leave that Indian as is. What a great find. 1900 is kinda early for plastic, shure it ain't mica or thin glass?? :confused:

catskillcomics
11-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Damn, thats like a brand new IH!! Very Nice Dave.. you seem to find the unique finds :beerbuddy: thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Boy them Indians look nice when they are brand new. We should start making them again, even if they are zincs. :ticked: At least they would look better when found. Nice axe head too :clapping: I'd definetely leave that Indian as is. What a great find. 1900 is kinda early for plastic, shure it ain't mica or thin glass?? :confused:

Alexander Parkes Invents First Man-Made Plastic
The first man-made plastic was unveiled by Alexander Parkes at the 1862 Great International Exhibition in London. This material - which the public dubbed Parkesine - was an organic material derived from cellulose that once heated could be molded but that retained its shape when cooled. Parkes claimed that this new material could do anything rubber was capable of, but at a lower price. He had discovered something that could be transparent as well as carved into thousands of different shapes. But Parkesine soon lost its luster, when investors pulled the plug on the product due to the high cost of the raw materials needed in its production.

Cellophane was discovered by Dr. Jacques Edwin Brandenberger, a Swiss textile engineer, who came upon the idea for a clear, protective, packaging layer in 1900. Brandenberger was seated at a restaurant when he noticed a customer spill a bottle of wine onto the tablecloth. The waiter removed the cloth replacing it with another and disposed of the soiled one. Brandenberger swore that he would discover some way to apply a clear flexible film to cloth, which would keep it safe from such accidents and allow it to be easily cleaned with the swipe of a clean towel. He worked on resolving this problem by utilizing different materials until he hit paydirt in 1913 by adding Viscose (now known as Rayon).

John Wesley Hyatt, an American, finally came upon the solution in 1869 with celluloid. Hyatt, upon spilling a bottle of collodion in his workshop, discovered that the material congealed into a tough, flexible film. He then produced billiard balls using collodion as a substitute for ivory. But due to its highly brittle nature, the billiard balls would shatter once they hit each other. The solution to this challenge was the addition of camphor - a derivative of the laurel tree. This addition made celluloid the first thermoplastic: a substance molded under heat and pressure into a shape it retains even after the heat and pressure have been removed. Celluloid went on to be used in the first flexible photographic film for still and motion pictures.

Rusthunter
11-05-2010, 05:33 PM
nice looking indian. I would def. leave it in the case.

coinnut
11-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Alexander Parkes Invents First Man-Made Plastic
The first man-made plastic was unveiled by Alexander Parkes at the 1862 Great International Exhibition in London. This material - which the public dubbed Parkesine - was an organic material derived from cellulose that once heated could be molded but that retained its shape when cooled. Parkes claimed that this new material could do anything rubber was capable of, but at a lower price. He had discovered something that could be transparent as well as carved into thousands of different shapes. But Parkesine soon lost its luster, when investors pulled the plug on the product due to the high cost of the raw materials needed in its production.

Cellophane was discovered by Dr. Jacques Edwin Brandenberger, a Swiss textile engineer, who came upon the idea for a clear, protective, packaging layer in 1900. Brandenberger was seated at a restaurant when he noticed a customer spill a bottle of wine onto the tablecloth. The waiter removed the cloth replacing it with another and disposed of the soiled one. Brandenberger swore that he would discover some way to apply a clear flexible film to cloth, which would keep it safe from such accidents and allow it to be easily cleaned with the swipe of a clean towel. He worked on resolving this problem by utilizing different materials until he hit paydirt in 1913 by adding Viscose (now known as Rayon).

John Wesley Hyatt, an American, finally came upon the solution in 1869 with celluloid. Hyatt, upon spilling a bottle of collodion in his workshop, discovered that the material congealed into a tough, flexible film. He then produced billiard balls using collodion as a substitute for ivory. But due to its highly brittle nature, the billiard balls would shatter once they hit each other. The solution to this challenge was the addition of camphor - a derivative of the laurel tree. This addition made celluloid the first thermoplastic: a substance molded under heat and pressure into a shape it retains even after the heat and pressure have been removed. Celluloid went on to be used in the first flexible photographic film for still and motion pictures.

So which one is yours? lol I'm surprised plastic goes back that far. I wonder why we don't find more of it on the metal pieces we find? Must have still been a rare item, but if it was adopted by inventors, I could see it being used by jewelers rather quickly. Since they use smaller quantities, it would be a great selling point. That piece of plastic is almost as rare as that Indian, to me anyways ;)

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-05-2010, 06:13 PM
somebody on another forum said i bet it was lost in the 50's plastic wasn't invented until then lol
it was 5 inches deep at a hardly any traffic cellar hole deep in the woods. idk hard to believe it was dropped that late in time.but,then again nothing in this hobby suprises me anymore

zrickkid
11-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Thats the best looking coin I have seen here yet besides that half-dime a while back. Im sure your quite proud of it! :cheesysmile:

jkress
11-06-2010, 07:48 AM
:shocked04: .... that's a :thinkingabout: for sure.

More than likely the date was significant for one reason or another. Birthday, wedding year...

If the item was found in a school yard, the explanation would be more obvious. But at a cellar hole changes the possibilities all together.

One thing for sure, the covering kept that IH in beautiful shape. :peace:

Beefcake
11-06-2010, 04:07 PM
I got an axhead just like that the other day in the cornfield we hunt... Any way of dating such things:huh:

rsarge1
11-06-2010, 07:30 PM
WOW :loveit: :loveit: :loveit: :loveit: :loveit:

very nice that will be worth a few pennies LOL

wtg nice find

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-07-2010, 10:38 AM
I got an axhead just like that the other day in the cornfield we hunt... Any way of dating such things:huh:

i'm guessin colonial Bri...nothing but late 1700's state coppers came out of this site.connecticuts,vermonts,fugios and king georges.
coinnut knows what site as he dug a Ct and a KG i beleive.. when he came down.
maybe Dan or george will chime in since they know a bit more about these relics than i do.
congrats Bri! will look awesome in your display case

del
11-07-2010, 01:31 PM
i'm guessin colonial Bri...nothing but late 1700's state coppers came out of this site.connecticuts,vermonts,fugios and king georges.
coinnut knows what site as he dug a Ct and a KG i beleive.. when he came down.
maybe Dan or george will chime in since they know a bit more about these relics than i do.
congrats Bri! will look awesome in your display case

yup a shingle hatchet does it have the notch for pulling out nails (just under the blade):huh:
hey Dave it looks later than colonial just from the side view (maybe early 1800's to 1820 ish) but can't confirm it , i would have to see the shape of the eye (where the wood handle went through).

pulltabsteve
11-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Very nice IH! Even in the case with condensation, I dont think it would have held up for 110 years. But like you said, who knows. Still an awesome find!