PDA

View Full Version : rookie question

1147SILVER
11-05-2010, 04:19 PM
I went out today for an hour had some dificulty identifing siginals the pitch was hi and signial was 12-41 12 42 12-43 so i thought wheat penny but when i doug nothing even the depth was right the place i went was an old dance hall I have found several barbers here in the past. I dont know what im doing wrong there has to be deep silver here this place was built in 1890s and a hopping place and there is a lot of trash here I need some help from my fellow etracers :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :blackeye: :huh:Thanks steve

coinnut
11-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Steve, if you move your coil over a little and hit pinpoint, and then go back over it, did it read in pinpoint or was there no signal at all?? If it read in pinpoint mode then there was something down there. If it didn't read, it was probably falsing. Did it read in both directions??

1147SILVER
11-05-2010, 04:33 PM
why would it be falsing im confused

randy
11-05-2010, 04:50 PM
why would it be falsing im confused

Mine falses all the time. I don't know if it is because I have the sens on manual and cranked. or what, but I imagine you should expect it to false (in my mind, if it isn't falsing, its not running hot enough, but that is just me, I'm certainly no expert).

See if the pinpoint center is at the same place as where you are getting the high tone. If not, it may be falsing. Also, go really slow over the target. If doesn't sound as good, may be falsing as well. Also, coins on their side will project the pinpoint out to both sides of the coin -- I find many coins on their side with the E-Trac, but if I dig where it pinpoints, I get nothing. It something you just have to learn to look for sometimes.

coinnut
11-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Try the things that were mentioned already Steve and see if it helps. Falsing is usually caused by too high sensivity (like Randy said), a loose conection from the coil to the probe switch, or very wet surface water on the grass. It can also be interference from power lines. Do you ever noise cancel ?(there is a button on the front of the machine) It helps pick the best frequency it can to avoid interference from power lines.

Bell-Two
11-06-2010, 08:21 AM
A deep can can cause such readings, because of size of it the machine gives you a 4 or maybe 5 depth when it is deeper. Do you have a hand held pinpointer? Using one helps in locating target quickly. I have a Garrett pro pointer and when it is a large object it will give a solid signal all over the hole. The other possibility with the E-Trac you may be getting a depth reading deep on a coin that is on or near the surface just a few inches away from where you think it is. This is another good usage for the pin pointer run it across the spot you think the object is and the immediate area surrounding it. I hope this helps.

Jason in Enid
11-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Like others said, if it pinpoints there, something is there. It may be much deeper than indicated though. I had a 12-46 signal today that indicated 6 inches deep. I finally pulled a 3x3 inch plate from about 13 inches deep. If it pinpoints, theres SOMETHING down there.