PDA

View Full Version : 1920 Walker

angellionel
11-05-2010, 06:30 PM
This weekend I was going to check out two parks I had recently been looking into, but today I decided to scout them out after it stopped raining. I worked them for a while, but both parks were surprisingly devoid of targets, hardly any trash and no clad coins. :confused: I did manage a few finds though, including four wheat cents, two Indian Head cents, and one lone silver, a 1920 Walking Liberty half.

The walker wasn't deep, at most four to almost five inches, and it did not yield Fe/Co numbers corresponding to that of a half dollar. It turned out that there was another target a few inches under the half, a round metal piece having a rusted end. The Fe/Co numbers on the metal piece were a steady 14-46.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/November/1920wlh_110510.jpg

The Indian Head cents are dated 1899 and 1902.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/November/indianheadcents_110510.jpg

HH!

dave in iowa
11-05-2010, 06:35 PM
great find, i had that happen with my se last year , got a big nail sound and numbers , with and occasional good signal, i dug it , it was a huge old spike, 16 penny or better and bent into an L -shape , but below was a walker , a silver quarter , 2 silver dimes and a buffalo nickle , the nail was i guess about 5 inches down and the spill was directly under it maybe another 3 -4 inches , i was blown away . my best ever spill. Great find angel, only one though . good hunting

coinnut
11-05-2010, 06:49 PM
I bet the Walker made you smile :cheesysmile: Not gonna be silver skunked thumbsup01 Them parks over there are tough huh? :blackeye: You will find a spot that is trashy and get the goods I bet :thinkingabout:

randy
11-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Nice one Angel thumbsup01 I'm curious what it read before you dug the half? I had one on Tuesday -- no threshold anywhere, then a 12-42, which turned out to be a merc at 1 inch. The merc air tested at the normal 12-45 12-46. So, that's why I'm curious about this big junk target under the good target thing. It definitely has an effect -- I'm just trying to quantify it (and sorry for hijacking your thread with a technical question -- I hope you don't mind :))

angellionel
11-05-2010, 08:18 PM
great find, i had that happen with my se last year , got a big nail sound and numbers , with and occasional good signal, i dug it , it was a huge old spike, 16 penny or better and bent into an L -shape , but below was a walker , a silver quarter , 2 silver dimes and a buffalo nickle , the nail was i guess about 5 inches down and the spill was directly under it maybe another 3 -4 inches , i was blown away . my best ever spill. Great find angel, only one though . good hunting

Now that must have had you smiling all day! lol I love those kinds of spills. :smitten:

I bet the Walker made you smile :cheesysmile: Not gonna be silver skunked thumbsup01 Them parks over there are tough huh? :blackeye: You will find a spot that is trashy and get the goods I bet :thinkingabout:

Man, did it ever! lol I was thinking that I was finally going to get skunked, but the Walker saved the day. :happydance01: I did try to find the trashy locations at those parks, but there were none. :crying02: There are other parks in the area I have to look at, so maybe I will come away with something good. ;)

Nice one Angel thumbsup01 I'm curious what it read before you dug the half? I had one on Tuesday -- no threshold anywhere, then a 12-42, which turned out to be a merc at 1 inch. The merc air tested at the normal 12-45 12-46. So, that's why I'm curious about this big junk target under the good target thing. It definitely has an effect -- I'm just trying to quantify it (and sorry for hijacking your thread with a technical question -- I hope you don't mind :))

The Fe and Co reading was mostly 11-47. Since it was a shallow target I decided it was a clad quarter, though the numbers and tone were that of silver. Was I ever surprised to see that large shiny disk. lol It isn't the first time such has happened, though on the other occasions the good targets were deeper than six inches. :yes:

Epi-hunter
11-05-2010, 08:29 PM
The Fe and Co reading was mostly 11-47. Since it was a shallow target I decided it was a clad quarter, though the numbers and tone were that of silver. Was I ever surprised to see that large shiny disk. lol It isn't the first time such has happened, though on the other occasions the good targets were deeper than six inches. :yes:

How big was the interfering iron/junk piece?

angellionel
11-05-2010, 08:44 PM
How big was the interfering iron/junk piece?

The piece of junk is almost the width of a half dollar.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/November/junk_110510.jpg

zrickkid
11-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Nice Walker! Those are such pretty coins.

Stang1968
11-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Very nice, early date! Is there a mintmark underneath that mud?

wild willy
11-06-2010, 06:17 AM
x marks the spot on that indian lol how many walkers you gonna find this year? :) willy

angellionel
11-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Very nice, early date! Is there a mintmark underneath that mud?

No, there is no mintmark. A 'D' would have been nice. ;)

x marks the spot on that indian lol how many walkers you gonna find this year? :) willy

It does. lol

I think I have exceeded my Walking Liberty half limit. :shocked01: So far this year I have found 26 - 12 at parks with the E-Trac and 14 with the Excalibur while shallow water detecting. :yes:

jkress
11-06-2010, 07:28 AM
Love the WLH!! :yes:

Just think about how many detectorist have let that one go. :thinkingabout:

Was it the sound that made you go after it? I always thought, until recently, that the tone and the FE/CO numbers were tied together. Lately I have noticed that the sound might be independently generated from the numbers.... meaning, a target may sound a lot better than the numbers are suggesting. Is this true or just my imagination?

Anyway, great recoveries for the day and super job at interpreting the WLH target correctly. Congrats.

So far this year I have found 26 - 12 at parks with the E-Trac and 14 with the Excalibur while shallow water detecting. :yes:

.... perhaps the E-Trac is a little jealous and wants to catch up. lol

1147SILVER
11-06-2010, 10:33 AM
I cant imagine not digging any 1147 thats just me!!!!!

1147silver steve thumbsup01 :yes:

angellionel
11-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Love the WLH!! :yes:

Just think about how many detectorist have let that one go. :thinkingabout:

Was it the sound that made you go after it? I always thought, until recently, that the tone and the FE/CO numbers were tied together. Lately I have noticed that the sound might be independently generated from the numbers.... meaning, a target may sound a lot better than the numbers are suggesting. Is this true or just my imagination?

Anyway, great recoveries for the day and super job at interpreting the WLH target correctly. Congrats.

.... perhaps the E-Trac is a little jealous and wants to catch up. lol

Deep targets or worn coins may yield Co numbers that do not correlate to the tone being heard. I have found plenty of Barber dimes and a good number of seated dimes where the Co numbers were as low as 42 but where the tone was clearly that of a silver target. On several of the dimes this was still the case even after they had been retrieved.

The tone on the Walker was good enough to get my attention for a shallow target, though the Fe/Co numbers were more like that of a clad to silver quarter. Despite being a shallow target I dug it since I normally dig clad quarters anyway, though I had for a second or two thought of passing this particular target up. :shocked01:

jkress
11-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Deep targets or worn coins may yield Co numbers that do not correlate to the tone being heard. I have found plenty of Barber dimes and a good number of seated dimes where the Co numbers were as low as 42 but where the tone was clearly that of a silver target. On several of the dimes this was still the case even after they had been retrieved.

The tone on the Walker was good enough to get my attention for a shallow target, though the Fe/Co numbers were more like that of a clad to silver quarter. Despite being a shallow target I dug it since I normally dig clad quarters anyway, though I had for a second or two thought of passing this particular target up. :shocked01:

Thanks for the info Angel. Several times I have had a target sound like silver, but the cursor placement was definitely off from the tone being produced... but the target turned out to be silver or a clad dime or quarter. I guess I always assumed the tone produced is the direct result of the FE/CO properties. :confused:

....I'm still learning. :yes:

RobW
11-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Sweet find Angel. I always look to your insight in working with the E-Trac and your posts are always full of great tips.....and inspiration!

angellionel
11-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Sweet find Angel. I always look to your insight in working with the E-Trac and your posts are always full of great tips.....and inspiration!

Thank you for the kind words, Rob. :beerbuddy: