PDA

View Full Version : Clad, Tokens, Foreign

z118
11-08-2010, 07:19 AM
I feel a little odd posting this junk in light of the constant silver coins you folks are posting... but here goes anyway. lol

I got in a good amount of detecting this weekend; mostly stuck to the tot lots but did a little dirt digging too. No real keepers, though I did find two interesting foreign coins - a 5 cent piece from Singapore and a 1 kuna coin from Croatia. Nothing great but I had a great time regardless. Total for the weekend was 251 coins worth $17.96.

Happy hunting!

jkress
11-08-2010, 07:49 AM
Almost $18 in clad.... :shocked04:

I'm usually happy if I can pick up a buck or two an outing. A couple of rings on top of all that makes for a fun time.

Just think of all that dead money that we put back into circulation, not to mention all of the trash we take out of the ground and properly dispose of. We really should be getting paid by the government for what we do. lol

Good stuff Z.

RobW
11-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Sometimes it's just fun for a bit of a change up to hit a tot lot. Generally quick digs with a nice assortment. And the jewelry that people put their kids in can sometime make a great find.

We are actually doing a disservice to the government by putting dead coins back into circulation. The govt depends on coins dissapearing out of circulation to increase demand for new coins, which the govt actually makes money on. For example let's say it costs 4 cent to make a dime, the govt put a new dime into circulation and makes 6 cents. With a low demand for new coins the govt has no maket for its product. Just as we saw in 2009 with the dime. That is why they ceased production in late spring....no demand. That is why the mint has been doing all of the commerative quartes, pennies, nickels, etc. is to have them collected and in demand, thus disappear from circulation. Coins are profit for the govt.

Bills on the otherhand are govt debt. To be more specific, they are promissory notes. The Federal Govt actually owes you one dollar when you have a one dollar bill. It use to be backed by gold or silver, so it was worth one dollar in gold or silver that the govt owed you. However, now it backed by the faith in our govt....lol Thus we can never get rid of our national debt, because the bills that are in circulation are a large part of that debt.

coinnut
11-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Sometimes it's just fun for a bit of a change up to hit a tot lot. Generally quick digs with a nice assortment. And the jewelry that people put their kids in can sometime make a great find.

We are actually doing a disservice to the government by putting dead coins back into circulation. The govt depends on coins dissapearing out of circulation to increase demand for new coins, which the govt actually makes money on. For example let's say it costs 4 cent to make a dime, the govt put a new dime into circulation and makes 6 cents. With a low demand for new coins the govt has no maket for its product. Just as we saw in 2009 with the dime. That is why they ceased production in late spring....no demand. That is why the mint has been doing all of the commerative quartes, pennies, nickels, etc. is to have them collected and in demand, thus disappear from circulation. Coins are profit for the govt.

Bills on the otherhand are govt debt. To be more specific, they are promissory notes. The Federal Govt actually owes you one dollar when you have a one dollar bill. It use to be backed by gold or silver, so it was worth one dollar in gold or silver that the govt owed you. However, now it backed by the faith in our govt....lol Thus we can never get rid of our national debt, because the bills that are in circulation are a large part of that debt.

I like the fact that we make the full 10 cents on every dime we find lol Now that's a good profit thumbsup01 Wish they would just make the 1, 2, and 5 dollar coins so we could make more profit rofl

Z, almost 18 bucks?? :shocked04: I think you can buy a pretty decent silver coin for $18.00 Turn that clad into gold and silver lol Always nice to see the stuff you are pulling out of tot lots and more. I have to get myself into 2 tot lots that I have had my eye on. Gotta wait for a rainy day :yes:

z118
11-08-2010, 09:31 AM
I like the fact that we make the full 10 cents on every dime we find lol Now that's a good profit thumbsup01 Wish they would just make the 1, 2, and 5 dollar coins so we could make more profit rofl

Z, almost 18 bucks?? :shocked04: I think you can buy a pretty decent silver coin for $18.00 Turn that clad into gold and silver lol Always nice to see the stuff you are pulling out of tot lots and more. I have to get myself into 2 tot lots that I have had my eye on. Gotta wait for a rainy day :yes:

lol The clad gets saved until the end of the year, rolled, and turned in at the bank. I then give all the $$$ to my better half. We jokingly call it her metal detecting Christmas bonus. It helps grease the wheels so to speak when I want to spend all my time detecting! I'm at about $640 in clad for the year so far, hoping for another $100 or so but that might be pushing it. We'll see!

angellionel
11-08-2010, 11:37 AM
That is a major haul! :shocked01: And $640 in clad for the year is a very sweet amount. :happydance01: I have yet to count my clad. I better get busy. :drool:

coinnut
11-08-2010, 05:18 PM
lol The clad gets saved until the end of the year, rolled, and turned in at the bank. I then give all the $$$ to my better half.

Wow she makes out like a bandit lol I'm gonna have to delete this whole thread so my wife doesn't catch wind of that deal. That could finish my days foundation hunting, and make me do parks and tot lots. :-\ Doing cellar holes, my wife can have my clad lol

catskillcomics
11-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Feeling odd that you found Money!! :dontknow: I don't think there is such a thing... Like someone posted.. you could buy some nice silver with $18.00 to add to your collection. Even I like to coinshoot for clad just to bump up the penny bank.
Great hunt!!!!