PDA

View Full Version : Can't believe I'm Posting in Relics!

RobW
11-12-2010, 09:11 AM
A few weeks ago I was trying to meet up with George and Del for a weekend hunt, but the days just didn't jive. I told George no worries, they've been digging up the road and I've been wanting to hit it. So hit it I did. As far as finds...a beautiful memorial penny! lol However, everything in life happens for a reason. As I was working in one direction, met another man working in the other direction and our paths in life crossed. We spent a bit of time talking. Hwe was saying that he lives in the same town I do, and that he's been looking for a hunting buddy, and coincidently he too only has Sundays to hunt. So I left my card on his car window as I was leaving. Didn't know if he'd call.

Friday (a week ago) he called and asked if I wanted to join him for some hunting. I was elated. We went to a cornfield he's been detecting for sometime and has pulled some great coinage from. Right out of the gate, hit a wheat, I thought this is going to be great. Well that was the only coin either of us hit that day. But we made some other discoveries and had a good time. I found a cogal bell, some small round bulets, a piece of lead that I believe is the bottom of a 3 ring .58 cal that the tip was cut off, a button, and some misc. We BOTH found our own ax heads! Mine was bigger lol I don't remember everything he found. but he found what we both believe to be a gold cufflink.

But the best part of the day was making a new friend! Looking forward to Sunday's hunt.

Jason in Enid
11-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Sounds like you made a better find than stuff, you found a hunting buddy!

del
11-12-2010, 12:34 PM
very nice Rob , i like the crotal bell .glad you found a fellow hobbyist so close . hey this guy you met its not Tim ( Massdirtfisher) from westfield is it :huh:

RobW
11-12-2010, 12:38 PM
No it's not Tim, don't know him. His name is Al. He wasn't familiar with this board. So I gave him the website address. Crotal bells are a bit new to me. Before moving to this area I did Civil War relic hunting, they really weren't into wearing bells on their horses lol

coinnut
11-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Glad you had a good relic day. Fields can be fun for a lot of reasons, but for me it's mainly because I can wander and there are no briars or mountain laurel to get in my way. lol Nice easy digging!! Al sounds like a nice guy. Hope he stops in and looks around here. I think most of the crotal bells we find are from sleighs and the bigger ones (along with bells) are on carriages (kinda a cheesy horn lol). I can't wait to see what you guys pull from the fields. How is the E Trac running for you?? Are you a bit more comfortable with it yet?

RobW
11-12-2010, 02:25 PM
A lot more comfortable.....but stil learning, especially relic hunting is VERY different! Got to pay attention to those low tones, like 12-20s'. I passed up a lot of them before I decided to dig one and then I started finding the cool stuff. But I still have found that magical sound of silver. I get lucky here and there, but I can knock a memorial out at 200 yrds! lol

Here is a pic from yesterday's finds, hit a park that is slated to be redone. 68 memorials... lol, they were coming in all over the map, thought most of them were wheats hitting at 12-36/41. Did get 4 deep wheats. Got a $1 presidential coin, my first $1 coin, wish it was a silver dollar! and a little over $5 in dimes and quarters. Only hit a small area. planning on going back before and after they dig it all up

coinnut
11-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Yep, relic hunting is different. That's why I went to two tone ferrous, since I'm gonna dig all the numbers, I might as well make it easy on the ears lol I hear you on the Memorials :ticked: But for me they come in mostly at 12-44. That is real close to thin or deep silver numbers, so I end up digging a lot of 5 Memorials :( That parks sounds like an ideal place for you to get some experience on the E Trac. It will help you tremendously. Nothing like digging a million targets to get you used to sounds and numbers thumbsup01 Nice haul out of there, by the way :clapping:

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-12-2010, 07:11 PM
nice job! glad to see ya posting in the relics section! only a select few who do and it's nice to liven this forgotton about section up a bit! look forward to future posts rob!

Epi-hunter
11-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Great finds, especially the new friend :happydance01: Get him to join the forum :grin: I love the crotal bell Rob!

angellionel
11-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Hey Rob, are most of the Memorial cents of the pre-1982 variety? You are doing well with the E-Trac, and you will get better!