PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storage

Dully59
11-13-2010, 09:25 AM
This may not be an issue but since i am wrapping up my first full summer with a decent machine (DFX) i thought i better ask. How do you folks store your detector's during the winter months? Do i break it down, keep it out of the garage and inside at room temp? Remove the batteries? Any feedback is appreciated.

As i am new to the forum and totally obsessed with metal detecting i will introduce myself on the newbie section. Glad to be here and have already benefitted from reading the posts so thank you all.

Regards,
Dully59

Jason in Enid
11-13-2010, 10:15 AM
While I shudder at the thought of storing my detector, that time is coming.

First thing is to remove the batteries. Check the Battery holder for any acid leakage, if you find anything wet in there use baking soda to neutralize it, then wipe it out good. Next, clean all the dirt and mud off it and give it a generally good cleaning. Lastly, STORE IT INSIDE! Electronics are like people extreme temps or conditions arent tolerated well.

Lowjiber
11-13-2010, 12:59 PM
I can't offer any better advice than Jason just did.

Welcome to the forum from southern Nevada...where we're able to hunt year 'round. :rolleyes:

pulltabsteve
11-13-2010, 06:14 PM
My machines are always stored inside. Jasons advice is good! I dont put my machines away for winter. I hunt year round. :yes:

del
11-13-2010, 06:30 PM
first off hello Dully , very good question by the way and Jason offers great advice . i don't think i can add to it .

I dont put my machines away for winter. I hunt year round. :yes:

we up in southern New England have been lucky these last couple of years now as i for the most part do the same and try to hunt year round

coinnut
11-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Welcome aboard Dully!! :clapping: Del and I usually are not smart enough to stay out of the cold, so we hunt most of the winter lol But the advice already given is excellent advice. thumbsup01 Treat it with care and it will last a long time.

RobW
11-15-2010, 12:17 PM
You guys really are CRAZY :twirlingeyes:
It's freaking wicked cold out there! Maybe that's just the southerner in me, but when it gets to freezing, they call it that for a reason!

Epi-hunter
11-16-2010, 08:07 PM
I am in the south too, so this is prime hunting season for me :)

I store my detectors fully assembled in a guest bedroom. Never in the garage with extreme temps. Also that is true for the summer maybe even more so. The garage (and especially trunks of a car) can get way too hot for a piece of electronic equipment in the summer.

I have hunted in the extreme winter temps also (when living in Iowa) and I know George and Dan routinely do.

del
11-16-2010, 08:18 PM
You guys really are CRAZY :twirlingeyes:
It's freaking wicked cold out there! Maybe that's just the southerner in me, but when it gets to freezing, they call it that for a reason!

cold or freezing , yes . crazy :crazy: :huh: well maybe but some of our best finds have been when its about 15 to 20 degrees outside. :yes: and whats the alternitive , cabin fever :twirlingeyes: then you'll see crazy :eyebrow:

coinnut
11-16-2010, 08:23 PM
well maybe but some of our best finds have been when its about 15 to 20 degrees outside. :yes:

We seem to be able to concentrate better between shivers lol It's true, some of our best finds have been when it was cold out. Besides, a little bit of snow on the ground lets you track where you have been.

Epi-hunter
11-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Besides, a little bit of snow on the ground lets you track where you have been.

Most of us prefer to drop bread crumbs lol