PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected hunt

coinnut
11-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Was just expecting to go over a friends house and tag some targets with the E Trac to see if we could get his DFX to respond better to iron mixed targets. But it turns out another friend wanted to see how we were doing and also offered to let me detect a couple of 1700's houses :shocked04: :shocked04: I promply said NO rofl Yeah right lol So after a couple of quick comparisons, we scooted over to the first house and it was a real nice colonial. Of course they were hit before, especially with that date on the door :yes: But the ground was perfect and there were some targets left in the front yard. Got me the 1900 Barber dime right off the bat at about 7 Yes Angel, even a blind squirrel gets a few nuts lol So I figured there may be hope. Nothing for a while and then a pulltab / shot gun kinda reading at 4 I dig it all at old sites, so I was really surprised to get a first year Fattie Indian (1859) :happydance01: Soon after an identical target and out comes an 1858 Flying Eagle :happydance01: :happydance01: Right after that another 1858 Flying Eagle :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: Ahhh heaven :cheesysmile: 61 degrees out and an owner of a house that says, that's great and let's me continue. <: Got a bunch of early wheats, some memorials and other stuff and finally in the trashy back of the house I got a 1746 George II Half Penny at 4 :clapping: :happydance01: The other house wasn't much to show, but a couple of Wheats and a thimble, but I didn't stay there too long even though the date was around the early 1700's. I don't understand how the two houses could be so different. It was like night and day between them. EMI, trash and ground makeup were complete opposites and the houses were only about 100 feet apart :dontknow: I left the square nails in the picture because each one of them should have been silver rofl The crooked ones get me every time :rolleyes: I can't thank Bob enough for letting me detect those two places and Mike for detecting his house. It was a very unexpected day. I can finally move that copper count and silver count up lol

del
11-13-2010, 08:16 PM
some beauty coins there George , the barber is a real looker and the KGII cleaned up real nice ( tell Beth i said great job lol :tongue: ) how Bob doing , did he detect at all and after your display at the house when is he getting an e-trac lol lol some nice relics ( is that part of a spur i see??) congrats /

coinnut
11-13-2010, 08:21 PM
some beauty coins there George , the barber is a real looker and the KGII cleaned up real nice ( tell Beth i said great job lol :tongue: ) how Bob doing , did he detect at all and after your display at the house when is he getting an e-trac lol lol some nice relics ( is that part of a spur i see??) congrats /

Thanks, I'll let Beth know you like her work lol Bob didn't detect at all. He just wanted to let me detect :thinkingabout: Was I dreaming or is this my last meal lol I don't think he is gonna lose the XLT anytime soon, but it was an interesting display :cheesysmile: There was a lot of nails in the front and a bit more of them with big trash metal out back. The spur must be a musket rest rofl Well maybe not :shocked01:

jkress
11-13-2010, 08:39 PM
:shocked04: ... <:

What a nice surprise for the day. Perhaps karma for attempting to help your buddy out? :thinkingabout:

Had a good karma day myself. The 1904 World's Fair badge I dug yesterday I really wanted for my collection... but the owner is really into the history of the house. He even asked if I would empty my junk pouch in a five gallon bucket he put out for me... so he can sift through it. I've given him a few of the silvers and an IH from the yard, but it was really hard for me to give up the medal.

Last night it came down to me realizing that he will probably appreciate it more than I would, plus I have to respect that fact that he is letting a complete stranger dig holes in his yard. Like I said, it was a hard parting, but I dropped it off to him this morning right before I headed to the spot I planned to detect this morning.... the result was my best silver day yet. Maybe karma, maybe coincidence. :thinkingabout:

Anyway, getting back to your dream finds... two flying eagles, a baber, a fatty and a half penny :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: You are the MAN.

I don't understand how the two houses could be so different. It was like night and day between them.

I have scratched my head almost raw in spots pondering the same thing.

coinnut
11-13-2010, 08:44 PM
:Had a good karma day myself. The 1904 World's Fair badge I dug yesterday I really wanted for my collection... but the owner is really into the history of the house. He even asked if I would empty my junk pouch in a five gallon bucket he put out for me... so he can sift through it. I've given him a few of the silvers and an IH from the yard, but it was really hard for me to give up the medal.

Last night it came down to me realizing that he will probably appreciate it more than I would, plus I have to respect that fact that he is letting a complete stranger dig holes in his yard. Like I said, it was a hard parting, but I dropped it off to him this morning right before I headed to the spot I planned to detect this morning.... the result was my best silver day yet. Maybe karma, maybe coincidence. :thinkingabout:

Too bad about giving up everything good you found, but it happens sometimes. I just wish they would appreciate your hard work too :eyebrow: Maybe at least an offer of something to you, even if you decline, but hey, I believe it all comes around to you some other time. You got rewarded rather quickly. Congrats on your good hunt too thumbsup01

pulltabsteve
11-13-2010, 08:50 PM
:happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: GEORGE!!!!!!! Awesome digs my friend <: 2 flying eagles in 1 hunt is sweet! Great coins :beerbuddy:

hockeyguy
11-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Very nice George. The KG is in great shape and the flying eagle....i am speechless.....great work!

midas
11-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Nice finds. Old houses seem to yield old stuff, but commonly lots of trash.
For the DFX high trash/iron - turn the sweep speed down, recovery speed up, and filter probably at 1 or 2. Signals on deep targets mixed with trash will usually be a single narrow beep with short nulling if iron next to target. Rely on sound and depth not VDI to determine when to dig.

Jason in Enid
11-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Great finds! You never know when opportunity is going to knock like that.

I know what your mean about 2 houses being so different. I've seen that myself, albeit with mush newer (c. 1900) houses. One has beautiful loam, and great finds. The house next door has crappy ground that destroys what few coins it holds.

sniffy
11-14-2010, 05:54 PM
wow, dueling eagles and a handsome KGII.......awesome!

randy
11-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Sweet digs <: Those FE's and that copper are in unbelievable shape :clapping:

coinnut
11-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Sweet digs <: Those FE's and that copper are in unbelievable shape :clapping:

Um.... that copper was not very readable at all after I cleaned it. :-\ So I had to take it to the scuff pad lol Works wonders. thumbsup01

milco
11-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Awesome hunt, don't know that I have ever seen two flying eagles dug in the same hunt before, WTG!

angellionel
11-15-2010, 12:10 AM
Two flying eagle cents? :drool: One wasn't enough? lol Sweet hunt, George! Those are some great finds. :yes:

wild willy
11-15-2010, 06:01 AM
george the one on the right looks like a 56!!! <: ya i know :bop: :blackeye: willy

little man
11-15-2010, 08:05 AM
WTG SWEET FIND'S

RobW
11-15-2010, 12:39 PM
George, thems sum sweet digs u got thar. Like dim flien birdies, rel nise. And dat big coin wit de fat man, tis sweet as molasses. Dat der be a nise day of huntin if I do say sir.

coinnut
11-15-2010, 12:54 PM
George, thems sum sweet digs u got thar. Like dim flien birdies, rel nise. And dat big coin wit de fat man, tis sweet as molasses. Dat der be a nise day of huntin if I do say sir.

Dank ya vury mch :cheesysmile:

george the one on the right looks like a 56!!! <: ya i know :bop: :blackeye: willy

willy..... :bop: :bop: '56 lol I wish :crying02:

trout-hunter
11-15-2010, 02:44 PM
George, nice finds and if Murphy's Law ever lets go of me we need to get together as I have a 1700 hundreds house we could hit and I am sure the owner will be very OK with it, But until then, pray for me to never hear from Mr. Murphy again.
Ernie

coinnut
11-15-2010, 06:30 PM
George, nice finds and if Murphy's Law ever lets go of me we need to get together as I have a 1700 hundreds house we could hit and I am sure the owner will be very OK with it, But until then, pray for me to never hear from Mr. Murphy again.
Ernie

Hey Ernie, nice to hear from you. We need to get together with or without that 1700's house. :yes: I got a good feeling Mr. Murphy is needed somewhere's else lol

tanacat
11-15-2010, 07:25 PM
:clapping: Congrats on those sweet digs George!!! I bet you are still flying high as those eagles lol Good motivation for my hunt tomorrow- got permission from some Masons to hunt one of their lodges...

coinnut
11-15-2010, 07:50 PM
got permission from some Masons to hunt one of their lodges...

I smell Barbers :drool: lol Good luck, sounds like a great place for silver ;)

tanacat
11-16-2010, 08:24 AM
I smell Barbers :drool: lol Good luck, sounds like a great place for silver ;)

Stopped by there yesterday to check out the hand-dug well they told me about -one of the masons was there and told me a little about the history of the place. Unfortunately it was built in '63 :angry: It looks older with the big columns and all. Sooooo prob no barbers- but maybe some mercs and a nice SLQ :cheesysmile:

coinnut
11-16-2010, 08:32 AM
Unfortunately it was built in '63 :angry: It looks older with the big columns and all. Sooooo prob no barbers- but maybe some mercs and a nice SLQ :cheesysmile:

Hope that's 1863 lol You never know what was there before the Mason's lodge. It should be against the law to make your house look older than it is :crying02: I'm still rooting for Barbers, but I'd take a 1964 Roosevelt :cheesysmile:

jkress
11-16-2010, 08:56 AM
It should be against the law to make your house look older than it is :crying02:

rofl ... I agree!

Tanacat, there could be a couple years of Franklin half dollars there too. :yes:

tanacat
11-16-2010, 12:16 PM
Hope that's 1863 lol You never know what was there before the Mason's lodge. It should be against the law to make your house look older than it is :crying02: I'm still rooting for Barbers, but I'd take a 1964 Roosevelt :cheesysmile:

nope-1963... I did find 2 1965 quarters there yesterday! :ticked:

Tanacat, there could be a couple years of Franklin half dollars there too. :yes:

oh yeah! thanks for the optimism- I did find a'57 Franklin half at a homestead close by last spring!

Hey G are you hunting today?

coinnut
11-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Hey G are you hunting today?

This G is working for the next forseeable future lol I wish I was hunting :crying02:

1147SILVER
11-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Nice job King George congrats buddy I hope we do another hunt soon How many king georges have you found.

Good job nice karma pays you back!!!!!!!! do you know what that king george came up at?

1147 silver STEVE