PDA

View Full Version : A first for me...

jkress
11-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Now that I am on the quest for 100 and the clock ticking, I'm taking full advantage of any metal detecting time I can get good or bad conditions. It was a cold one out there this morning and the wind was blowing at 25+ mph gusts. Most of the morning was gray and dreary, but the sun popped out just long enough for me to walk around and snap a few pictures before the clouds and drizzle came back.

I located the owner of a small country church. It is privately owned and after calls to 2 different archdioceses, the brother of the owner then finally the owner I was able to request permission. He was a little hesitant at first, but when I offered to do some photo work for him he jumped at the chance.

Of course I had very high hopes heading there this morning. Hoping, just hoping I could find an older church that has not been metal detected yet. This church was not to be that one. I struggled for 4 hours trying to find signals worth digging. No wheats, several pull tabs and 1 clad dime is all I found in addition to what is pictured below. Someone really scoured that place before.

But, I did come away with some nice keepers and my first Shield nickel. :happydance01: ... dateless. It was a cold but great day of hunting. :yes:

This church was built in 1904 and the rectory in 1877. The owner mentioned there was an older church that was tore down and replaced with the one standing now.

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist/pictures/picture-90.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist/pictures/picture-91.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist/pictures/picture-92.jpg

z118
11-14-2010, 05:32 PM
That looks like a heck of a day to me! Nice work!

Jason in Enid
11-14-2010, 06:00 PM
That silver makes it a good hunt in my book! Is the cross silver too?

dave in iowa
11-14-2010, 06:38 PM
wowza Joe , you will get to 100 for sure , looks like a great place ......hint , hint lol

pulltabsteve
11-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Great day of hunting! Next time if a pastor is hesitant to give permission, tell him you got the OK from his BOSS :grin: Seek and you shall find... The Shield nickel is cool and the Cross is Awesome!!!

coinnut
11-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Great day hunting. :clapping: The Shield looks great on the front, but that date is so tiny on the back :ticked: Who designed that coin anyways lol Sweet looking Mercs and a drunk Indian too. The cross is real nice looking and I hope it's Sterling. You got some nice targets. I would try another section and keep at it.

randy
11-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Wow, that is a great hunt, congrats :clapping:

milco
11-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Congrats on those finds! Old churches, hunt or not, are great places to hunt! Congrats on the shield nickel, still
haven't got one of those yet.

jkress
11-14-2010, 08:38 PM
wowza Joe , you will get to 100 for sure , looks like a great place ......hint , hint lol

Yeah, I was kind of wishing you were there today so we could cover more ground. At one point, I even threw a clad dime from my pocket on the ground just to make sure my machine was working right. lol ... it's funny, but true. I'd definitely like to hit that spot again with you soon.

but that date is so tiny on the back :ticked: Who designed that coin anyways

When I looked in the book to find out where the date is suppose to be, I immediately noticed how small it is and thought... no wonder I can't see it anymore.

It is definitely a very small date to begin with. Under the perfect light conditions, it appears the last number could be a 7.

jkress
11-14-2010, 08:47 PM
That silver makes it a good hunt in my book! Is the cross silver too?

No, I don't think so.... would have been nice though. :yes:

coinnut
11-14-2010, 10:05 PM
When I looked in the book to find out where the date is suppose to be, I immediately noticed how small it is and thought... no wonder I can't see it anymore.

It is definitely a very small date to begin with. Under the perfect light conditions, it appears the last number could be a 7.

Probably an 1867, since the only other 7 it could be is an 1877 and they were issued in proofs only. So if you see a 7, I'm pretty sure it's a '67(no rays). I sometimes use a scotch scuff pad to highlight the top points of the coin. The date would pop up a bit.

angellionel
11-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Those finds would make my day. Shield nickels don't come by often, so they do make for fun finds. Nice hunt!

RobW
11-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Nice digs!

tanacat
11-15-2010, 07:35 PM
:clapping: Love your pics- congrats on all your finds.