PDA

View Full Version : Great day in every way

z118
11-14-2010, 06:04 PM
What a great day today was! Catskillcomics and I had arranged to get together for a hunt today at a spot more or less in the middle of our respective home towns. I had hunted this location one other time on a trip to New England this spring, during which I found an 1899 nickel and 8 wheats in a short hunt. I was hoping there were still some other goodies to be had there and what better excuse to make the two hour drive than to get together with a forum member! After watching a beautiful sunrise driving on the thruway I arrived at the chosen spot about 30 minutes after Catskillcomics. We promptly headed to the specific area that I'd had luck in my last time there. I found absolutely nothing for the first 45 minutes or so, but then, things started rolling. Long story short, after about 6 hours I had dug only 25 coins, but among those were an 1899 nickel, 11 wheats, and four silver coins, plus a sweet silver bird (I assume it was a pin) with a red stone (or glass) eye. The Barber dime is only my second in four years of detecting. It was a GREAT day!

You can see in the pics how horrific the wheats are from this spot. I can not make out dates on most of them. They mostly rang up much lower than I would expect, some down around 10-30 or 12-35. There wasn't much trash at all and the ground was soft and perfect for digging so after a while I just started digging anything that sounded close to a repeatable signal. This resulted in some deep rusty nails but I didn't mind. Of the four silver coins, only one gave a clear coin tone. The others were iffy or surrounded by larger tones from I don't know what. There were a lot of wonky tones in places at this spot; I'm not sure if it was EMI or junk in the ground or what. I know I was nothing other than LUCKY to make these finds! Catskillcomics clearly brought me good luck, I only wish some of it would have landed on him!

The weather was flawless - although it was a bit chilly and breezy when we started things quickly warmed up and it was sunny and warm all day. It was great to hunt with another detectorist. In all ways it was a great day!

The last three pics are Angel style lol I don't get the opportunity too often. The pic of the silver reed in dirt was cool because I never find silver in clumps like that for some reason. It was the 42 Merc and it was the last target I dug for the day.

Thanks Catskillcomics!!! We will have to get together again for sure!

randy
11-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Sweet mix of silver there. :happydance01: I feel your pain with that soil.

coinnut
11-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Silver Tri-fecta :clapping: Real good hunt. Glad you had a chance to hook up with Scott. He is a blast thumbsup01 :happydance01: Looks like that place still likes you. lol Sometimes you get places that like you and you get all the goods. Hope Scott came away with something though :dontknow:

milco
11-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Congrats on a great hunt! Sounds like that spot is a good one!

Jason in Enid
11-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Great hunt you had there, even if it started slow. That silver is SWEET! Love the in-situ pic of the silver.

jkress
11-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Sounds like a great day for the two of you.

Another 1899 nickel from the same area... what are the odds? :thinkingabout:

You had a nice silver day for sure... they look great.

I especially like the silver edge peeking through... LOVE that sight.

Congrats.

catskillcomics
11-15-2010, 06:09 AM
Met up with Z118 ,as you know, on Sunday.. this was a huge park, we only stayed in one area, I did move around to different spots, but no matter where I went in this park, the ground was like melted butter.. very soft with very deep targets. Like Z mentioned something odd was going on, either EMI or lots of hot rocks or iron in the ground.. my Etrac was going nuts the entire time there, making it difficult to hit the targets.. for example, you run over a target and only for a brief second could you see the fe/co id, before it went nuts.. making it difficult to pinpoint, etc.. :bangahead01:
I did not have nearly a good of day as Z did.. he was killing it, I ended up with 7 or 8 wheaties and a few old canadian pennies.. early 1900's to mid 40's , but you certainly couldn't complain about the weather.. it was beautiful..
The park definetly had history.. but the grounds made it difficult for me to detect.. :behave:
GREAT JOB Z!!! and it was certainly nice to meet you and we'll have to do it again. There's lots of parks (and a fairground) in that area which are all old.. so I'll do the research for next time and drop you an email!!

The 1928 Merc was from Saturday hunting on the outside of the fairgrounds.

little man
11-15-2010, 07:33 AM
look like your ground is like our it eat copper up some time we have to put them in the junk box I hate to do that to the IH

RobW
11-15-2010, 12:29 PM
That is a phenomenal day of finds! Congrats!

tanacat
11-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Congrats on those perty silvers guys :)

z118
11-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the replies all... I had such a good time I have half a mind to make the drive again some weekend soon. But I just know if I do I'll wind up getting skunked. lol Every time I'm sure I have a good spot my next hunt there proves to be a bust.

Epi-hunter
11-17-2010, 09:22 PM
Wow, what beautiful finds, and your photos are incredible :shocked04:

Great post!!! thumbsup01