PDA

View Full Version : Maiden V3i Voyage

Epi-hunter
11-16-2010, 08:23 PM
Okay, I know John/midas is waiting for this post from me but he is going to be underimpressed lol

I took the V3i out this past Saturday for an hour or so, then for a bit longer this Sunday. I specifically took it to a more modern park with a lot of trash and surface clad and not a place I have found silver (Tana -- think behind the B&amp:beerbuddy: you and Heather and Kevin detected). But the possibility for gold was good -- I have found gold there before.

No photos, sorry... I didn't find anything photo-worthy. I just wanted to give my initial report, after having used the original V3 (not the 'i') last year for a couple of weeks, and then the E-Trac since then.

The V3i is much more stable for me than the V3 was. I had to get used to seeing the color graph again with the three frequencies and the camel hump drawings and try to relate all that to what I was digging. I had good advice from John and Angel and went into it with that. I can definitely discern coins from trash, except that the old style bottle crown caps gave me some grief, and there were a lot of those.

Anyway, I am really happy with the V3i and I think it's going to be a lot of fun to use. I have a lot to learn :shocked04:

coinnut
11-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Well that's not too bad. You did good. :) Better than the Titanic on it's maiden voyage lol That machine will keep you occupied with all it's possibilities for quite a while. Good luck and I hope you strike gold :yes:

del
11-16-2010, 08:31 PM
:cheering: :cheering: Epi got out , Epi got out . :cheering: :cheering:

well that is something to cheer about ;) , glad you made some time for yourself and did alittle detecting you were due :yes: . we expect 20 and 30 silver days like Angel after a few more days of practice , no pressure of course lol lol lol . have fun with that new machine Angie .

Epi-hunter
11-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Better than the Titanic on it's maiden voyage lol

Yeah, that makes me feel great lol I didn't sink to my death and take 1500+ people with me rofl

Seriously George, thanks. :) I do have a lot to learn, and it's a great detector. :happydance01:

Epi-hunter
11-16-2010, 08:33 PM
:cheering: :cheering: Epi got out , Epi got out . :cheering: :cheering:

well that is something to cheer about ;) , glad you made some time for yourself and did alittle detecting you were due :yes: . we expect 20 and 30 silver days like Angel after a few more days of practice , no pressure of course lol lol lol . have fun with that new machine Angie .

lol rofl OMG. I guess it's been awhile since I have posted lol

I'll have to actually find something worthy of photos :cheesysmile: Don't hold your breath about the Angel days though :shocked04:

milco
11-16-2010, 09:07 PM
The banter back on forth on this thread is just too funny! You all make me laugh! Epi congrats on the new machine.
Good luck on pulling lots of silver and gold from the soil's clutches!

jkress
11-16-2010, 09:58 PM
rofl rofl rofl

... good stuff going on here.

Curious, what made you decide to give the V3i a swing?

Epi-hunter
11-16-2010, 10:04 PM
The banter back on forth on this thread is just too funny! You all make me laugh! Epi congrats on the new machine.
Good luck on pulling lots of silver and gold from the soil's clutches!

lol Thanks milco :cheesysmile: I think it might be awhile before I'm pulling lots of silver and gold, but I'm optimistic. ;)

rofl rofl rofl

... good stuff going on here.

Curious, what made you decide to give the V3i a swing?

Hey Joe :) I used the V3 (right after it came out) and I liked a lot of things about it, but I had a lot of trouble with EMI and stability. That problem seems to be a lot better with the V3i upgrade.

I think the V3i is more sensitive on gold than any of the Minelabs I've ever had, and I think that it is a deep silver machine too. :yes:

yazoo
11-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Epi,Bottle caps and telling them from coins.Watch for the green humps to be dominate when pin pointing on a good VDI.The caps always seem to be blue.Take a hand full of things caps, gold ring, silver coin, indian cents, pulltabs and wheat cents place them on the ground and check out the humps and VDI #'s. After you get used to it and learn a bit more you can set up a customized graph when pin pointing. H.H. Yazoo

rsarge1
11-17-2010, 10:51 AM
welcome to the v3i club epi it will get better the more you use your new toy, ive had my machine for a year and i am starting to do a little better now , learning to decifer all of the info the machine is telling me and putting it to finding those deep targets is getting easier congrats and happy hunting

sarge

angellionel
11-17-2010, 12:31 PM
You will get the hang of the machine, just as you did with the E-Trac. Give it time and you will be doing very well with the V3i. :yes:

Epi-hunter
11-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Epi,Bottle caps and telling them from coins.Watch for the green humps to be dominate when pin pointing on a good VDI.The caps always seem to be blue.Take a hand full of things caps, gold ring, silver coin, indian cents, pulltabs and wheat cents place them on the ground and check out the humps and VDI #'s. After you get used to it and learn a bit more you can set up a customized graph when pin pointing. H.H. Yazoo

Thanks for the advice yazoo :yes: I actually did not have enough variation in trash with me to practice hearing everything on Sunday, although I did practice on the coins.

welcome to the v3i club epi it will get better the more you use your new toy, ive had my machine for a year and i am starting to do a little better now , learning to decifer all of the info the machine is telling me and putting it to finding those deep targets is getting easier congrats and happy hunting

sarge

Yes, well, my detecting time lately is measured in dog years, so at that rate I should be improving sometime around the year 2018. lol

Thanks for the welcome, and I am looking forward to hearing some deep silver with this machine :yes:

You will get the hang of the machine, just as you did with the E-Trac. Give it time and you will be doing very well with the V3i. :yes:

Thanks Angel. By the way, I really think you should get one. :yes: :cheering:

midas
11-17-2010, 07:48 PM
FINALLY took it for a spin, Angie. :happydance01: The crown type caps usually give a VDI of 89 to 94, but are sometimes broken in the sound. If they are rusty being in the ground for a long time, a lot of times on pinpoint, they will null out. I have learned how to tell them most of the time. When I detect for the deep silver and coins, I ignore most signals from 0 to 1 inch, except quarters, and concentrate on the deeper targets. I know I could be missing some good surface stuff, but it's more hunt time for the older items. I don't look at the graphs, I go by sound and depth and only look at the VDI for reference, to determine what to dig. Didn't have time to take photos of the past weekends hunt. I worked the park for about 5 hours and ended with 7 indians, 1 buffalo, 1 seated dime and 2 barber dimes. There are so many settings and adjustments on the V3i, that it can be customized for any type of hunt. I know you will learn it quickly and start pulling the old silver. and yes, it is more sensitive on the gold. We have to get a V3i in the hands of Angel. He has to get to the 1000 mark. lol

angellionel
11-17-2010, 08:19 PM
FINALLY took it for a spin, Angie. :happydance01: The crown type caps usually give a VDI of 89 to 94, but are sometimes broken in the sound. If they are rusty being in the ground for a long time, a lot of times on pinpoint, they will null out. I have learned how to tell them most of the time. When I detect for the deep silver and coins, I ignore most signals from 0 to 1 inch, except quarters, and concentrate on the deeper targets. I know I could be missing some good surface stuff, but it's more hunt time for the older items. I don't look at the graphs, I go by sound and depth and only look at the VDI for reference, to determine what to dig. Didn't have time to take photos of the past weekends hunt. I worked the park for about 5 hours and ended with 7 indians, 1 buffalo, 1 seated dime and 2 barber dimes. There are so many settings and adjustments on the V3i, that it can be customized for any type of hunt. I know you will learn it quickly and start pulling the old silver. and yes, it is more sensitive on the gold. We have to get a V3i in the hands of Angel. He has to get to the 1000 mark. lol

You and Angie are going to have me swinging a V3i yet, aren't you! lol As to the 1,000 mark, I don't think that is going to happen. :dontknow: Unless I raid Scott's parks that is. :drool: I think he has a few Rottweilers on guard though. :shocked01: lol Hopefully I can get to work a few local parks this weekend. :yes:

Epi-hunter
11-18-2010, 09:03 AM

Wow... seated and barber dimes :happydance01: Sounds like you had a great weekend! I can't wait to dig my first old silver with this machine :happydance01:

Thanks for the info John, that helps a lot. I am going to have a list of questions for you :cheesysmile: You don't look at the graphs at all? :confused:

I still don't know how you discern targets using a single tone, but obviously it's possible because you certainly have it down. I don't think I could do it though. :-\

midas
11-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Angie, I started years ago with a White's BFO unit, then a White's TR, etc., so I could never get used to the multi tones. I guess since I dig everything that sounds good, I only have use for one tone. Maybe I'm not using the V3i to it's full potential, but for me it works. I expect to see pics soon of the old coins that you find. Especially the coppers that will certainly be in better condition than what we find up here. Good luck this weekend.

zrickkid
11-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Great to see the V3i getting some good pub. I love the machine and when I get better at it look out!

Epi-hunter
11-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Angie, I started years ago with a White's BFO unit, then a White's TR, etc., so I could never get used to the multi tones. I guess since I dig everything that sounds good, I only have use for one tone. Maybe I'm not using the V3i to it's full potential, but for me it works. I expect to see pics soon of the old coins that you find. Especially the coppers that will certainly be in better condition than what we find up here. Good luck this weekend.

Don't lose faith in me John lol It was a beautiful weekend here weather-wise, but I wasn't able to get out. I've been working 85 hours a week lately and it spills into my weekends. I am looking forward to things calming down soon... although it's supposed to snow here next weekend. :shocked04: It won't be long before the ground is too frozen for you to dig up there crying01

Great to see the V3i getting some good pub. I love the machine and when I get better at it look out!

Thanks... that's exactly how I feel :yes: