PDA

View Full Version : Low Frequency detectors/coils - Would Like Input Please

milco
11-17-2010, 08:00 PM
I'll just say, I'm not a huge electronics guro like many of you are, I just like to dig in the dirt and find the shiny stuff. I have heard that the lower frequencies like the low frequency modes on the V3i and E-Trac are best for finding silver. I have also heard that some of the older White's machines ran low frequencies around 2-3kHz. So what do you all think? Where I am going with this is thinking of buying an older used White's that runs at a low frequency to have as a second machine because I can't afford the top machines. The idea being to go over some of my sites that I have already cleaned out much of the trash from, hoping to find deeper more elusive silver targets. So any thoughts or input from all you folks on that? Thanks in advance for any input!

Jason in Enid
11-17-2010, 10:03 PM
You are correct that lower freqs are more responsive to the high conductor like silver and copper. It's hard to find any sites that haven't been hunted. That means that most of the easy coins are long gone. Your best bet for finding the remaining hidden coins is to get a detector that can find the copper and silver mixed with iron targets.

coinnut
11-18-2010, 12:18 AM
It sounds like a good plan at first, but I don't think the older units can get you far enough in the ground to find the deep ones. The lower frequencies do hit better on copper and silver, but that doesn't mean that the upper frequencies don't hit on it. Plus when you factor in mineralization, the upper frequencies (like 15Khz) may even be the better choice. So I don't know how to steer you but to say I've tried buying some of the older units and I quickly learned how far new technology has really come lol I can't go back. I don't know how oftem you hunt, but some of the members have some pretty big clad totals for the year. Maybe combining your clad and your old machine, may get you into an E Trac or V3i. That would be the ideal situation for the deep coins, but that's just how I would do it. Someone may have a better idea.

Lowjiber
11-18-2010, 08:16 AM
I have also heard that some of the older White's machines ran low frequencies around 2-3kHz. So what do you all think? Where I am going with this is thinking of buying an older used White's that runs at a low frequency to have as a second machine because I can't afford the top machines. The idea being to go over some of my sites that I have already cleaned out much of the trash from, hoping to find deeper more elusive silver targets.

As others have already said, there is no doubt that the lower frequencies have a greater affinity for higher conductive targets. However, the newer machines bring much more to the table than just lower frequencies. Things like increased power to the transmit signal; filter networks that are far more sophisticated; and discrimination algorithms that are much more sensitive all add up to the modern detectors.

You asked for input, so I'll ask this question for your consideration: If an older machine operating at 2-3kHz is so good, why didn't the folks thirty years ago uncover those deep silver coins?

milco
11-18-2010, 08:30 AM
If an older machine operating at 2-3kHz is so good, why didn't the folks thirty years ago uncover those deep silver coins?

That's a fantastic point! Thanks for the input!

milco
11-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Maybe combining your clad and your old machine, may get you into an E Trac or V3i. That would be the ideal situation for the deep coins, but that's just how I would do it.
Thanks for the input and great suggestion. I hunt pretty often and usually end up with around $200-400 per year with my clad and the gold and silver sent to the smelter. So a couple more years and maybe I'll get there.