PDA

View Full Version : Pocket spill and a Lion

MNDigger
11-23-2009, 07:19 PM
Went out today in the rain to a house I had just recently received permission at. I was out for about an hour and a half and started off with some clad and a deep wheat in the front yard. I knew I didn't have a lot of time so I headed to the larger back yard. Again I was hitting some clad and figured out really fast that the yard had been filled. Way toward the back of the yard I saw that it dipped down and figured it was original yard. Right when I started detecting that area I got a really good signal half way down the depth gauge on the Etrac. Dug down and the first coin I pulled out was a wheat. Probed around a little more and it was going nuts. I looked in the hole and could see several coins stacked together. When all was said and done I ended up with 6 wheats and the 1943D Merc in the same hole! Continued in that area a little longer and pulled the train flattened penny and the cool lion thingy. I will definately be hitting that property when I have more time!

angellionel
11-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Sweet coin spill Steve. Those sure are great when you come across them. Very nice! thumbsup01

OkieDigger
11-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Awesome Steve! What's weird is you found a 1943 D Merc not two minutes after I found my 1943 D Merc! Cool looking lion too.

coinnut
11-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Great pocket spill. You can even see some mint luster on one of the Wheats. thumbsup01 It hit that back yard from the old section to the new. Get all the old stuff first and then try the filled area. Good luck at that house.

Jason in Enid
11-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Great little honey-hole there. That lion thing looks like part of a door-knocker. Maybe.

Krom
11-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Nice hunt, Steve! Congrats on another pocket spill. thumbsup01
I seen that lion before, but can't remember what it was on.
I do remember that there was a jewel in it's mouth, tho'.

bmattioli
11-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Looks like my kind of hunt... Nice one Steve!

Bruce

Bentfork
11-23-2009, 09:15 PM
That is a nice pocket spill. Congrats!

G.

Dave
11-24-2009, 01:05 AM
Nice find's, Steve! You gotta love it when you find a spill and it has silver!

del
11-24-2009, 03:33 AM
very sweet pocket spill Steve congrats and i agree with Joe that lion looks familiar

MNDigger
11-24-2009, 05:50 PM
I am guessing the lion thing is not super old but I am really curious what it was on. At least a couple of you have seen it before which gives me some hope of figuring out what it came off of! Any ideas let me know. :)

coinnut
11-24-2009, 06:03 PM
Hey, what's the back side look like?? Could it be one of those slides like the Boy Scouts have? If not, it could be anything from a jewlery box ornament to a cane piece. But let's see the back and maybe we can make up some more stuff lol You know, if you can't dazzle them with your brain, baffle them with your --------! :shocked04:stretcher:

Epi-hunter
11-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Great finds Steve, you have a nice spot there for sure! The lion doesn't look familiar to me, which means nothing since I am terrible at IDing relics :) but I like it!

MNDigger
11-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Hey, what's the back side look like?? Could it be one of those slides like the Boy Scouts have? If not, it could be anything from a jewlery box ornament to a cane piece. But let's see the back and maybe we can make up some more stuff lol You know, if you can't dazzle them with your brain, baffle them with your --------! :shocked04:stretcher:

The back just shows that the lions head and design were pressed into the metal. It is not flat or filled. I cannot see any obvious points where it was attached to anything.

marchas45
11-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Nice finds Steve even better when you find an old spill of coins with silver even. Awesome. thumbsup01