PDA

View Full Version : garrett propointer range

randy
11-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Hi folks, I'm curious what sort of range y'all are getting on your pro pointers in an air test?

On my first one, I got 2.25 inches on a nickel, but it went bad and I had to send it in. On my new one, I'm only getting an inch. I tried the nickel technique, and it doubled it, only to two inches. Just curious if I have a lame unit. I've noticed it seems lame in the field as well.

Jason in Enid
11-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Hi folks, I'm curious what sort of range y'all are getting on your pro pointers in an air test?

Heck, I could throw one pretty dang far through the air. lol

Sorry, I couldnt resist.

coinnut
11-19-2010, 02:38 PM
That stinks. Can you call where you bought it and see if the can swap you one that works right. I was thinking of getting one as a back up, but now I will have to find a Garrett Dealer that is close by, so I can try one out in person. Sounds like one slipped by quality control. 1 is ridiculous when others units get 3.

Heck, I could throw one pretty dang far through the air. lol

Doing better than me, I can only throw it about a foot lol Sorry Randy, it seems to be contageous ;)

randy
11-19-2010, 02:52 PM
That stinks. Can you call where you bought it and see if the can swap you one that works right. I was thinking of getting one as a back up, but now I will have to find a Garrett Dealer that is close by, so I can try one out in person. Sounds like one slipped by quality control. 1 is ridiculous when others units get 3.

I got the original one from KellyCo, and it worked great, until it started falsing all the time. I called Garrett with this problem and they sent me a replacement, which turned out to be the wimpy one I have now. I'll have to call them again, I guess, it certainly isn't KellyCo's problem at this point.

I would get one anyway. The dysfunctional ones I've had are still better than anything else I've had, and when they are working great, they can't be beat, IMHO.

coinnut
11-19-2010, 03:21 PM
All right Randy, tear one of them suckers apart and tell us how to soop them up. I want to get a foot with one of them lol I hope Garrett understands that you didn't want to reduce the sensitivity down to zero :rolleyes: just to back it off a bit so it didn't false all the time.

I would get one anyway. The dysfunctional ones I've had are still better than anything else I've had, and when they are working great, they can't be beat, IMHO.

I would never settle for one inch though. The main reason to get a Garrett was the fact that it was one of the best handheld pinpointers on the planet. Any other unit can get one inch. Besides, if I have to get that close to my target before my pinpointer sounds off, why not just stick the shovel in deeper and get the target out lol Hope they send you a unit that worked like yours did originally :yes:

milco
11-20-2010, 07:41 PM
I get 2-2.5 on an airtest with mine and just slightly less than that in the field. Although sometimes depending on how it is oriented in the hole towards the target I only get an inch or so. It's a great tool and I like mine a lot even though my first one flaked out and I had to send it in to get another one. Their customer service and turn around was superb.

Salty Dog
01-01-2011, 04:26 PM
All right Randy, tear one of them suckers apart and tell us how to soop them up. I want to get a foot with one of them lol I hope Garrett understands that you didn't want to reduce the sensitivity down to zero :rolleyes: just to back it off a bit so it didn't false all the time.

I would never settle for one inch though. The main reason to get a Garrett was the fact that it was one of the best handheld pinpointers on the planet. Any other unit can get one inch. Besides, if I have to get that close to my target before my pinpointer sounds off, why not just stick the shovel in deeper and get the target out lol Hope they send you a unit that worked like yours did originally :yes:
Let me the first one hear to say don't attempt to take apart a pro pointer,I tried to clean one up ,ended in trashing it and had to pay $160.00 to learn this lesson :bangahead01:,on a good note my new one gets almost twice the distance the old one did :happydance01:

Nitro 54
01-01-2011, 09:39 PM
You should be able to get the wimpy one replaced

Bedrock
01-03-2011, 09:06 PM
I get 2-2 1/4 inches on my Pro Pointer. I think the Garrett is the best hand-held pinpointer on the market, and, in my opinion, far better than the Bullseye, which I also have. I love mine.

BOWSER
02-04-2011, 11:13 PM
i have one, i like it except every once in a while it goes into this machine gun mode. If i shut it off it resets. :ticked: