PDA

View Full Version : From bad to good

OkieDigger
11-23-2009, 07:35 PM
I had to work part of Saturday and Sunday (which ended up being 12:30 am this morning). I was supposed to go to work this morning but suddenly felt sick. ;) Since the day was going to be sunny and a beautiful 64 degrees I decided to hit a spot I've been wanting to get at for a couple of weeks now. I had code name it Plataville in my high hopes of the bountiful silver to be found there. Let us no longer call it by that name. I now call it the 9th Level of Metal Detecting Hell. I would rather put myself between two humping hippos than detect that spot again. Needless to say after three hours of excrutiating pain I went and found another spot.

I was able to get permission to hunt a church that has been around since at least 1913 though the old building was long gone and a new one was built in its place. The very first target I dug was a 1943 D Merc. Praise the Lord! I was lifted from the depths of dispair and misery! I dug a couple of wheats and hit another silver dime, a 1951 Rosie. Sweet! The Rosie put me at 25 silvers for the year. Shortly after that I dug another wheat and called it quits.

angellionel
11-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Nice hunt Dale. Too bad the first location didn't produce as expected, but that second one sure delivered.

coinnut
11-23-2009, 07:51 PM
I stopped hoping and dreaming a site would be paradise. It rarely works that way for me lol It's always the unexpected places that produce. But it is nice to dream of that great 20 silver day ;) Glad you got some silver and a return to that church is a must thumbsup01

MNDigger
11-23-2009, 08:27 PM
WTG Dale! Funny thing is we both ended up finding a 1943D Merc within 5 minutes of each other! Man my lead has dwindled down to nothing! Only one ahead of ya. :beatdown:

I stopped hoping and dreaming a site would be paradise. It rarely works that way for me lol It's always the unexpected places that produce. But it is nice to dream of that great 20 silver day ;) Glad you got some silver and a return to that church is a must thumbsup01

I couldn't agree more George! That is definately the way it seems to go for me too!

Jason in Enid
11-23-2009, 08:38 PM
Congrats on finding a good spot and pulling that silver. I know how you feel (almost). I went to hit a block that all the old houses had been torn down. What is likely a silver mine has tons of iron and every other form of metal junk as a blanket over it. So today I went to another old park. My first find was a 1911 wheat at 3 inches. Then junk and clad. Oh well, maybe I'll be able to pull some silver from this new spot eventually.

Anyway, hope you pull a bunch more silver from your new spot.

bmattioli
11-23-2009, 08:42 PM
A back-up site that produces on a slow day is always a plus. Nice scores Dale.. You somehow hear the backup site calling you sometimes, right?

Bruce

z118
11-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Nice dig Okie... I'd take two silvers any day.

A back-up site that produces on a slow day is always a plus. Nice scores Dale.. You somehow hear the backup site calling you sometimes, right?

I agree with this but it always raises the question in my mind... do you let a nice site sit for a rainy day, or do you hunt the daylights out of it as soon as possible? I go back and forth wondering about this.

Bentfork
11-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Sweet! Glad you were able to get out.

I would rather put myself between two humping hippos than detect that spot again. lol That is bad.

G.

OkieDigger
11-23-2009, 09:13 PM
You somehow hear the backup site calling you sometimes, right?

Sometimes, but I don't like driving too far if I can help it. The place where I dug these is about 85 miles away. crying01

I agree with this but it always raises the question in my mind... do you let a nice site sit for a rainy day, or do you hunt the daylights out of it as soon as possible? I go back and forth wondering about this.

I really only have one backup, my secret spot and I usually hunt it to death and wait for a nice rain to replenish it.

Jason in Enid
11-23-2009, 09:15 PM

If I pull a silver, I'm hitting it every free chance I have until I can't get anything else from it.

Also, I hunt in levels of discrimination. I go for wheats and up on the first hunt, bottle-cap and Indian Head range next, then nickel and up for the next hunt.

You never know when construction is going to happen, owners are going to change, or some other detectorist is going to come in behind you (with or without permission).

Jason in Enid
11-23-2009, 09:18 PM
Sometimes, but I don't like driving too far if I can help it. The place where I dug these is about 85 miles away. crying01

85 miles?! :shocked04:

Crap, that's a long drive. I don't think I have ever driven that far just to detect a place. It's hard enough to find good ground where I live, it would be pot-luck at best trying a place in a new town.

Lane
11-23-2009, 10:12 PM
What a downer about plataville. :( I was sure you had found a choice spot that would be giving up silver...old silver too. Was it too trashed? At least you squeezed some nice digs out of a beautiful day.

OkieDigger
11-23-2009, 10:17 PM
What a downer about plataville. :( I was sure you had found a choice spot that would be giving up silver...old silver too. Was it too trashed? At least you squeezed some nice digs out of a beautiful day.

Trash doesn't begin to describe it. That's OK, there are plenty of other spots.

OkieDigger
11-23-2009, 10:19 PM
85 miles?! :shocked04:

Crap, that's a long drive. I don't think I have ever driven that far just to detect a place. It's hard enough to find good ground where I live, it would be pot-luck at best trying a place in a new town.

I do it all the time. I have to. Otherwise I'd have a 5 silver year instead of 25. There are way too many detectorists where I live and coins just don't sink deep here.

Dave
11-24-2009, 01:23 AM
When I heard you were on the way to Plataville I was turning green. I wanted to take the day off so bad and join ya for this hunt, it wasn't even funny, dude! Then to read it turned out worse than getting stuck between two humping hippos Whew! I felt better for me, but bad you. I'm glad it all worked out though. Congratulations on your silver finds, Dale!

Krom
11-24-2009, 05:54 AM
Sweet digs, OD! thumbsup01

Epi-hunter
11-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Congrats on the silver!! :)

Hope your boss doesn't read this forum lol

OkieDigger
11-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks everyone!

Hope your boss doesn't read this forum lol

This is the first time in over two years I've called in sick because I just wanted a day off. My work ethic is pretty high and believe it or not, I felt pretty guilty about it. At least until I found the silver. lol

Jason in Enid
11-24-2009, 06:58 PM
I felt pretty guilty about it. At least until I found the silver. lol

lol, that's great!

MNDigger
11-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks everyone!

This is the first time in over two years I've called in sick because I just wanted a day off. My work ethic is pretty high and believe it or not, I felt pretty guilty about it. At least until I found the silver. lol

I was talking to Dale while he was driving over there and I really had to convince him to go detecting instead of turning around and head into work! :rolleyes: :tongue:

OkieDigger
11-24-2009, 10:26 PM
I was talking to Dale while he was driving over there and I really had to convince him to go detecting instead of turning around and head into work! :rolleyes: :tongue:

You're an evil man! lol Thanks! :grin:

del
11-25-2009, 03:46 AM
to bad about your first spot , but you regrouped well in picking up the two silver and wheats . nicely done Dale

Schrecky
11-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Great finds, keep them coming.

hoser
11-25-2009, 08:27 PM
If I was working and REALLY wanted to go hunting I would go so far as to call in dead just to get out. :shocked04: lol Good going on the finds my friend thumbsup01

bigjohn070
11-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Nice Silver!!

HH
BIG JOHN

Jason in Enid
11-25-2009, 10:54 PM
If I was working and REALLY wanted to go hunting I would go so far as to call in dead just to get out. :shocked04: lol Good going on the finds my friend thumbsup01

LOL