PDA

View Full Version : todays finds

dave in iowa
11-19-2010, 05:26 PM
went just 2 doors down to the neighbors yard . only had these hits , but they were nice ones , 1890 indian , 1918 wheat, and 41 s wheat , a neat watch fob ,from 1914 , joe got one the other day , amazing how our finds kind of parralell eachother from time to time , also this marine badge , very old and cool i think, says duty, honor ,freedom , west point , any ideas on this one?

jkress
11-19-2010, 05:42 PM
:shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04:

You had an incredible day! :happydance01:

The fob and badge are amazing finds. With finds like that hiding just two doors down from you... I'm surprised I can get you to come all the way up here for hunts. lol

Really nice stuff you found today.

Congrats.

dave in iowa
11-19-2010, 05:59 PM
thanks Joe , howd you do today , im pulling for you on the last 2 silver to 100, you find a fob , i find a fob, you get 2 mercs and i get arosie , the next day i get 2 mers and you get a rosie , eeeerie , lol

coinnut
11-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Wow what a great hunt :shocked04: That fob is excellent. Is that Uncle Sam telling a Mexican kid to salute the :usaflag:?? :confused: Kinda looks like it from the hat. That Badge is unbelievable too. What a great piece :clapping: I almost forgot you got an Indian too after seeing those two nice finds lol Great hunt. Now go down two houses the other way and get that gold coin that is waiting there for you lol

dave in iowa
11-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Ive been there too lol no gold coin ,,,,,,,yet....

Jason in Enid
11-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Maybe it has to do with this:

Apr. 21 Awakened abruptly at 2:30 A.M. by the telephoned news that Mexico's President Huerta had arrested American sailors at Tampico, President Wilson issued orders for Admiral Mayo, anchored off Vera Cruz: Take Vera Cruz at once. The landing party of sailors and marines captured the port, with U.S. losses of 4 dead and 20 wounded. Mexican casualties were in the hundreds.

Later in the morning, Wilson sent for his chief usher, shook an angry finger at him, and gave emphatic orders that he was never again to be awakened for a telephone call in the middle of the night. No man, he said, can make a clear decision when startled out of a sound sleep.

Wilson's selection of Vera Cruz as the target rather than Tampico, was influenced by the knowledge that a German freighter was unloading munitions there, possibly for anti-U.S. use. On the 24th of April, 3,400 U.S. reinforcements left Galveston, Tex., for Vera Cruz and the occupation closed off Huerta's only source of ready cash-from the custom house there. By July he was forced to flee from the country, after which Wilson withdrew the U.S. forces.

coinnut
11-19-2010, 07:16 PM
I think that is it Jason. Here is another note to that same incident (which by the way was a minor misunderstanding...oops...not really lol)

Admiral Mayo regarded the arrest as so serious an affront that he was not satisfied with the apologies offered, but demanded that the :usaflag: of the United States be saluted with special ceremony by the military commander of the port.

Here's a link to some more info on it. Nice work Jason thumbsup01

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/tampico.htm

Epi-hunter
11-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Wow Dave :shocked04: Excellent finds! Congratulations! :happydance01:

angellionel
11-19-2010, 07:38 PM
The fob and badge are awesome finds, Dave. They would look great in a display of relics. :yes: Nice old coins too. thumbsup01

dave in iowa
11-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Found out the west point badge is pre 1923 , they reversed the helmut in 1923.

coinnut
11-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Hey Dave, it's actually a hat badge. I think this is the one. You can aslo read all about it here:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-pith-safari-hat-with-west-point-badge