PDA

View Full Version : Found Yestiddy...

Irregular
11-21-2010, 04:06 PM
... of the field of battle, or at least retreat, but also an agricultural field for likely the last century. I'm guessing some kind of hinge, perhaps, off a piece of farming equipment or barn, gate, etc. Any speculators out there?

coinnut
11-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Almost looks like a part of a toy gun?? Other than that, it could be anything. :dontknow:

Irregular
11-22-2010, 05:13 AM
You could be right about the toy gun. I think I originally considered that and then dismissed it due to its weight, but thinking way back to before the Age of Shoddy and Age of Plastic, I do recall that they built thing to last.

In the last pic above the cleaned out hole there is what may be another hole with some kind of narrow pin or shaft still surrounded by crud. I should have investigated that by trying to pick out the crud before posting my question, but I guess I'm too new to all of this to be efficient. I still seem to recall seeing something similar as being hinged, like what we're looking at is a corner bracket that accepts a hinge pin through that hole.

Your concluding thought will likely be the final one when all is said and done. Thanks for the reply, coinnut!

del
11-22-2010, 07:07 AM
i couldn't begin to give you a clue as to what it might be :confused: :dontknow: sorry . other than the buttons and a few other miscellaneous items of that perid (civil war) i'm just not up on my relics . please keep us informed on any new info you might find out about it Irregular.

Irregular
11-23-2010, 05:08 AM
Will do. This is the only place I've enquired, but will check with another forum that's heavily relic-oriented. I'm not expecting to get too far with it, but it's too early to conclude anything.

Thanks guys! :yes:

Irregular
03-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Four months later, the prize goes to coinnut! I haven't been around much lately, but a new hunting friend determined what it was. It so happens he collects old toy and cap guns, so the relic is now his. Here's an pic where he overlaid the relic's image on a toy gun he said is about 120 years old.http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/4745/capgun.jpg

One mystery down, beacoup to go. Good job way back when, coinnut!

Cheap Thrills
03-18-2011, 01:50 AM
Here's a similar type from about the same time period a friend of mine dug up .It has the name NOVELTY on it . I was able to free up the hammer and get some of the crud out of the barrel .I want to take the rust down to one color seal it with some type of varnish and put it in a small display case .

Irregular
03-21-2011, 04:47 AM
Wow; a fabulous find there Sheik, worthy of a display case! Thanks for showing! thumbsup01

coinnut
03-21-2011, 02:36 PM
WOW :shocked04: Those are some old toy guns :clapping: Didn't even think they went back that far. I thought all kids had real ones back then rofl

russellt
04-09-2011, 06:44 PM
i dunno.. could be anything