PDA

View Full Version : New iPad Operating System Now Available

Lowjiber
11-22-2010, 08:01 PM
For those like me who use an iPad, there is a new iOS available (today)...free download (of course).

It adds multi-tasking, folders, and Find my iPad. There are a lot of other enhancements too, but those are the most important.

Here's the link: http://www.apple.com/ios/

I installed it this morning. The only thing I had to do was update iTunes...mine was about a year old and needed it anyway. (Again, no charge. Duh!) lol

Gotta love Apple.

Epi-hunter
11-22-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm seriously considering an iPad.

I have an IPhone (haven't upgraded to iPhone 4 yet). Not sure yet what the advantage of an iPad vs a true Apple laptop would be. Right now I'm forced to use PC because that's what we use at work, and I don't want two laptops.

My iTunes is about six months old, which is pretty bad for having an iPhone. :embarrassed:

coinnut
11-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Thinking of getting the iPad for my wife for Christmas. She can't seem to move to a different room without using a different device lol Getting her an iPad is like getting any other girl some diamond earrings :yes:

Lowjiber
11-23-2010, 07:26 AM
Not sure yet what the advantage of an iPad vs a true Apple laptop would be.
An iPad is not a computer in the sense that we ordinarily would use one. Other than the Wow Factor, the true Apple laptop would win every time.

I liken the iPad to a cross between a smart phone and a laptop...minus the camera.

Jason in Enid
11-23-2010, 09:13 AM
I refuse to touch Apple products anymore. I had I-Tunes on my laptop. It weaves itsself through all your audio / visual software to the point that when you remove I-tunes, it makes your computer almost useless. You have re-install a bunch of programs, reload drivers, etc. IT was such a pain in the ass I will never touch thier items. Zune is a better player anyway.

Lowjiber
11-23-2010, 10:29 AM
I refuse to touch Apple products anymore.
I think I can hijack my own thread, so here goes. :rolleyes:

I'm an old guy in the computing world and used to swear by anything Microsoft put on the market...from operating systems to office software. I actually had Windows 1 back in early '86 and had updated with every new version through Vista.

When I realized what a failure the Vista OS was, I wrote Microsoft a letter asking to be on the team of field evaluators (beta testing) for the next OS that they introduced...which turned out to be Windows 7.

I got back a lengthy letter explaining to me that, like the rest of the world, I didn't understand Vista. They further insinuated that there would be no need for a new OS from Microsoft in the foreseeable future because Microsoft was at the tip of the spear in educating uninformed users like me on the true value of Vista.

I closed my laptop (PC) and immediately drove to the nearest Apple store where I bought my first MacBook Pro. After two days, I was so impressed that I bought Apple stock (APPL) for less than $100/share (check today's price).

There will never be another Windows-based OS in my house. They've lost touch with reality since my hero, Bill Gates, left the helm.

The bottom line is that iTunes is the basis for many things in the Apple environment...which is where I live. It performs many functions with the iPhone and iPad...syncing, etc. I'll agree that it is intrusive within a Windows OS environment, but it is indispensable if you've abandoned the out-of-touch world of Microsoft operating systems.

(Stepping down off soapbox now. rofl )

BTW: I posted this from my iPad. :interesting:

CyberSage
11-27-2010, 11:30 AM
I have setup several iPads for clients and integrated them into into Microsoft Exchange Servers. They do really well. The vast amount of applications available give them a versatility that other apple products just do not have. This has been apple's problem in the past. They sure got it right this time. A lot of this is due to the groundwork the iPhone developers laid out over the last few years. Thanks for the software heads-up Lowjiber! Good stuff!