PDA

View Full Version : 1880's House getting razed

milco
11-23-2010, 10:36 AM
My uncle called me on Friday and said he had gotten permission to hunt a property that was getting razed on Tuesday. We rearranged our schedules yesterday afternoon and met there about 12:30. It was a balmy 64 degrees and had rained all morning. We had some high hopes of several silvers but didn't manage to pull any out. After bouncing around to check out soil conditions it appeared all but the front yard had large amounts of fill dirt so we concentrated on the front yard for the next 3 hours until storms came rolling through (later learned there was a tornado that touched down about 5 miles to the NW of us). I managed to get an old kids ring and three wheat cents (1927, 1935, 1956D). Also got some clad and some junk. My uncle had the finds of the day with his nickel magnet MXT, 1899 V, and two war nickels I think 1942 & 1945, plus two wheats including a 1914. By the way it's 26 degrees and sunny today!

coinnut
11-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Everytime I get permission to do a house, I have high hopes of silver too lol One of these days it's really gonna happen rofl Nice that you had a chance to hit it and the weather cooperated :clapping: If you could swing getting permission after they raze the house and they move some ground around, it will pay off. But I have found that signals are very different in disturbed ground. I haven't found a great setting that works other than going slow and using a small coil. I usually try and get sensitivity as high as I can with a small coil. Hopefully you can return there and let the big equipment do your digging for you :cheesysmile:

jkress
11-23-2010, 01:46 PM
The house sure looks promising. I think there are so many factors and variables involved with whether or not there will be minimal, average or above average coin recoveries that it really almost comes down to luck of the draw. :confused:

At least you got some hunting time with your uncle on probably the warmest day for the rest of the year.

It's the thrill of the hunt that keeps us going. :yes:

Congrats Milco.

angellionel
11-23-2010, 03:57 PM
It's exciting to be able to detect at a new location looking as promising as the one in that photo. The hunt may not always turn out as we would like, but often you do walk away with a keeper or two. The V and wartime nickels do make for fun finds. I also like how well the wheat cents held up. :yes:

Jason in Enid
11-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Bummer about no silver. From the trash, it looks like you certainly gave it a good shot. Maybe the next yard...

milco
11-23-2010, 08:15 PM
It's exciting to be able to detect at a new location looking as promising as the one in that photo.

Yes the excitement alone was worth it thinking about it all weekend and on the drive down there!

Epi-hunter
11-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Nice finds, and I agree... it is the thrill of the hunt that keeps us going :happydance01: