PDA

View Full Version : Winter's coming at the wrong time for me.

zrickkid
11-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Just as things are starting to get interesting and it seems like i'm starting to learn what my machine is telling me, winter is starting to take hold. :bangahead01: Today out at a site I researched to be the old 80 acres of hell a Union Civil War site formerly known as Camp Douglas here in Chicago I found my first silver quarter a beautiful 1954 S Washington at about 6 inches :happydance01:. That coin raised this years silver count to 11! It was the first signal I got today (Vdi of 86) in the deep silver V3I program and the only one to be had before I was politely asked to leave the park property it sat on by the security management team that oversees the place 8/crying01. Totals were .48 cents including that piece. Too bad because that place has potential. I will just have to find other areas of the camp that are still detectable and ask for permission to hunt those private areas :thinkingabout:. I thought this place was ok because its just an empty park by some high rise condos. There is no mention of the camp anywhere in the area. In a local cemetery (Oak Wood) about 5 miles away is a burial mound and shrine for the 6000 or so Confederate soldiers who lost their lives there. Many Chicagoans dont even know this place existed or even where it was. Well I'll keep detecting until the ice locks me out. Maybe I can get in a half dozen hunts until then. HH!

Epi-hunter
11-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Congrats on your first silver quarter!! thumbsup01

Are there rules that say you can't detect in the park? I think it's more than okay to question the security person who told you to leave, saying that you want to follow the rules and had checked prior to detecting there but found no restrictions (if that's the case).

Jason in Enid
11-23-2010, 08:43 PM
WooHoo! Congrats on the silver Q! Don't worry, I know the coming winter sucks, but you'll be ready to rake in the silvers next year!

coinnut
11-23-2010, 08:51 PM
I would back door that place. Quietly research that place and find someone who is in charge and explain that you didn't think anyone would care if you detected, but want to do it with permission. If you can gain permission, then find that person who told you nicely you couldn't do that here and explain you didn't realize you needed permission and that you went and got it lol That way he can't say too much. Always be pleasant and tell them they will never even know you were there. No evidence of damage. Nice quarter by the way lol

tanacat
11-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Congrats on your silver! Well to be optimistic, that's nice that you were politely asked to leave! :) I had a shotgun pulled on me by a neighbor of a farm owner once (I did have permission). Scared me to death! That was an arrowhead hunt, not MDing...

jkress
11-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Congrats on another silver and it being a quarter. :happydance01: It sure is nice seeing a big silver disk in the dirt. :yes:

I agree, it was nice that you were politely asked to leave. A civil approach will probably produce the best results for everyone. You never know where your next lead might come from.

It's getting cold here too. I'm hoping I can get out over the weekend and/or Monday. I'd definitely like to get a couple more silvers before the Minelab gets put to bed for the season.

Good luck to you.