PDA

View Full Version : How Many Bad D2 Coils Have You Had

CyberSage
11-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks for participating in this poll!

Diggler
11-25-2010, 10:17 AM
This is going to be interesting. Would also like to know how much the coils were used and how they were stored when not in use. What I am interested in is if there is any correlation between amount of use and just shelf time before a coil went bad.

hobbes_lives
11-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Should I vote None if I've never owned a D2? ;)

CyberSage
11-27-2010, 08:41 PM
We all know your special Hobbes. lol How you doing Buddy? Good to hear from you.

little man
11-28-2010, 06:30 AM
my d2 stay on my V3i went the site let me use it but a lot of place we got to do a lot of work on we hit one today but if you go slow the d2 hard to beat but that just me

Buckloc
11-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Need some help.
Are the D2 now fixed? If so how do you know if you have the newer version? Is there a date or something?
I'm thinking of getting v3i and want the newer D2.

Diggler
11-29-2010, 12:49 PM
So far 12 returns and 5 keepers...

Schrecky
11-29-2010, 05:45 PM

BHNugget
11-29-2010, 08:34 PM
I remember sending five in.One of last ones I got back would pass the overload test at RX15 in the air,but not with TX on.This one got sent back to me,passing thier new standards.New or lower,call it what you want,I still (in my opinion) dont think whites has the D2 coil issue figured out and I wasnt about to spend $125 to have it ....lets leave it at that.You'll never hear me say whites customer service isnt absolutely fabulous,but my E-Trac will be here tommorrow.

pulltabsteve
11-30-2010, 07:41 PM
I am on my 4th. Its been about 10 months now and so far so good. I also have the v rated 10DD for my V3i that seems to be ok. I heard the story about the bad epoxy mix.... But for it to go on this long it has to be something else. I also heard this coil has a thermal sensor in it.

CyberSage
11-30-2010, 08:55 PM
My latest D2 has been rock solid and more stable than any of the other coils I have had. I am thinking they got the epoxy shrinkage thing worked out finally. Let's hope this is the case. This pole is simply to get an idea of how prevalent this coil issue was. Nugget, I hope you choose to hold on to your V3. I would really enjoy hearing your experiences and comparisons with the new E-Trac.

Jack

yazoo
12-01-2010, 07:00 AM
I have had 2 coils also.My first one was due to the connection to the box on the coil lead. Whites sent me a new coil told me I could what ever with the old one. I took it apart and fixed it,a broken wire. Now I have 2 coils, both work fine and I have found stuff past 12 inches and neither will TX boost or RX at 15,or run past 90 at all places.But both seem to function just fine. Yazoo

My4Kiwis
12-03-2010, 12:56 PM
I voted none but I've only had the chance to use mine for about 4 hours of swing time.

midas
12-08-2010, 07:53 AM
I got my V3 when it came out. 2009. The coil worked ok, I thought, but I really didn't have a handle on working the machine. In June of 2010, I had to keep turning down the rx setting as the machine would get unstable the longer I hunted. Got a replacement coil, everything is great. White's has definitely solved the epoxy issue. I have found more old coins, silver, large cents, indians, etc. with the V3i than I ever have with the DFX. The D2 coil goes deep, pinpoints easily and gets between the trash and iron. Angel and I did a test in the field, comparing signals between the Etrac and V3i, each machine detected the deep targets equally well. For the detectorist, it is a matter of preference on which machine to use. Both are very capable.

CyberSage
12-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Thanks for contributing your expertise Midas! Along with the depth factor I think both these machines do well with pulling good targets out of trashy areas as well. I find a lot of coins in the same hole with iron bits these days.

Diggler
12-08-2010, 10:30 AM
So the running tally is 20 bad and 8 good. 60% replacement. 40% still working. Whether the still working coils are the new epoxy, not used much, or just good from the get go we will never know. Glad to see they have the problem fixed. There was never a doubt in my mind that White's wouldn't make things right. Just a big hassle for buyers and too big of a hassle for many would be buyers.

giant056
12-26-2010, 02:55 AM
I bought my first D2 coil when they first came out (before the Vision) and I used it all of the time on my MXT, never had any problems with it, I bought my V3I in May this year and used the D2 coil that came with it for about a month till one day my brother said you're older coil looks lighter than the one that came with the V3i so I went back to my original D2 which is lighter and it's on my detector right now.

odave
12-27-2010, 12:34 AM
I haven't had Mine go bad on My V3...
I did on My DFX, Whites sent Me another one and it's fine !

CyberSage
12-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Thank you gentleman for the feedback. Your insight is much appreciated, and adds to the thread.

Jack

DaleGM
12-28-2010, 04:08 PM
I haven't had Mine go bad on My V3...
I did on My DFX, Whites sent Me another one and it's fine !
just like Dave, I had a shielding problem with my D2 on my DFX and Whites took care of it and sent a new coil, on the D2 that came with the V3i, it has running fine...

cliffy
12-28-2010, 04:46 PM
I have one on each the dfx and vision for a couple of years now and neither has gone bad yet. Had a bad 4x6 that was replaced.
cliffy

wagon wheel
12-29-2010, 08:39 AM
I've had one replaced by White's on my V3i. Sure think highly of their customer service!!! Fast and Friendly, for sure! thumbsup01

w.w.

Carver
12-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Replaced one,,,I haven't had much chance to use the other,,,,,but when I did ,,it did fine

Diz
12-30-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm using the eclipse DD (6x9 I think) on mine. I got my first D2 when I still had the DFX ... didn't care for the D2 ( to many falses) and got rid of it. Then I got the V3 with the D2 and still had the same issues with the coil. After sending the first one back and getting a new one and still having problems I tried the 950 coil from my DFX and it worked great, but it had to go with the DFX when I sold it, so I sent the D2 (number 2 for the V3) coil back and whites agreed to send me a V rated 950 coil in its place. It worked better, but was too hot for the areas I was searching so I tried my DD and it worked fantasticly, so I have kept it on ever since ... Hello all BTW ... it's be a while.

coinnut
12-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Hello all BTW ... it's be a while.

Hey Diz, welcome back :clapping:

CyberSage
12-30-2010, 11:10 PM
We missed you Diz! :happydance01:

Diz
12-31-2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks guys. Long story short, I've had some health issues and some family issues to deal with in the last year and a half or so, and haven't been able to get out much. My mom is now living with us and I gave her an Garrett Treasure ACE 100. She has really gotten into MDing the few times we have gone out. I hope to be posting more now that things have settled down here.

coinnut
12-31-2010, 10:54 PM
Thanks guys. Long story short, I've had some health issues and some family issues to deal with in the last year and a half or so, and haven't been able to get out much. My mom is now living with us and I gave her an Garrett Treasure ACE 100. She has really gotten into MDing the few times we have gone out. I hope to be posting more now that things have settled down here.

Well then it sounds like a new year is just what you need thumbsup01 Glad things are easing up for you Diz. :)

RaZR
01-01-2011, 09:15 PM
I have 2. One is white label and i'm sure it was original on my V3. That was April 2009.
The other is red (orange) label and i got it on e-bay. The white one i haven't had out yet. The red one i have only used on my DFX. I'll test them someday! :embarrassed:

wingmaster
01-03-2011, 08:23 PM
I didn't vote because I use a MXT but have 2 of the D2 coils both work fine but have had 2 bad 300MM coils the last time that happened they sent me a D2 as I was over the 300MM coils. When they worked they were great but started overloading anything above preset and got worse from there till the point they would overload before preset gain.

teckpro
03-31-2011, 11:37 PM
HELLO Jack , and the forum .

I had 1 bad d2, it would cause a reading when tapped.

Replacement d2 did pass rx 15 AND tx Boost when new , now only passes rx15, tx boost and rx12 .

Vito
04-01-2011, 03:42 PM
...31 bad to 14 good ones. And that's only the coil issue....

So glad I could sell mine without a loss.

MartinL
04-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Whites was lame when they didn't just do a total recall/replacement for all of those with the serial numbered, bad lots. I can't hardly conceive the numbers of coils some here have had pay to to send back. Whites only gets so much understanding from me after reading about all of these who have experienced this mush aggravation and expense . Makes me wonder why Whites never just honestly admitted the defect, and just fix it without causing all of the people to pay the shipping and all. hmmmm. Pay the piper is what I always say. I don't know about anyone else, but to me, the checkbook balance total for all the expenses for returning these known bad lots of anything they sale, is more than a nuisance, it is the dollars & cents. If it a factory defect, replace it for free, no questions asked. martin

leojack
04-02-2011, 01:58 PM
Martini:Jack from pa here.Can you tell me where a serial # is located on the coil.I suspect I could have one with an issue:huh:thinkingabout:I have looked at the available posts nowhere can I find an explicit yes or no .The home air tests seem ok? the field is another matter.This is the first I've read where a ser.# could define a questionable coil.Thanks .....Jack from pa

odave
04-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Martini:Jack from pa here.Can you tell me where a serial # is located on the coil.I suspect I could have one with an issue:huh:thinkingabout:I have looked at the available posts nowhere can I find an explicit yes or no .The home air tests seem ok? the field is another matter.This is the first I've read where a ser.# could define a questionable coil.Thanks .....Jack from pa

They're on the ears on the coil that attach to the lower rod.

Dirt Fisher
04-14-2011, 09:13 AM
I went out yesterday and could not turn the mxt above ten without an overload. Could not ground balance and could not swing it at all without it beeping and showing a false vdi in the air. It has been known to act up a little but I think it is totally shot now. Back to the shop with this d2. I unplugged the coil and machine ran real stable. Has to be the coil.

MartinL
04-14-2011, 02:07 PM

This is the first I've read where a ser.# could define a questionable coil

Serial numbers in any production line most always by nature, run in the time window it was manufactured. A serial number is usually the best indicator of that production run's process time in cases where failures are indicated. It works that way in other manufacturing, which I have worked in. I would expect that White's could check their database on SNs surrounding those which has come back as failures. I'm just generalizing how the rest of the manufacturing world finds their process problems. It should be the same in this case to a good extent. martin

Vito
04-15-2011, 02:23 AM
Martin, some coils are bad right from the start. This will not mean they were bad in the factory. But depending to faulty components, epoxy and thermistors i.e., the one or other went bad just while being shipped. And some went bad 18 month later.
Think it's hard to make this issues out on a serial.

MartinL
04-15-2011, 08:09 PM
I was under the impression from reading posts about bad epoxy bonds that there was a manufacturing reason, and people were saying, They've corrected the problem now. That still leads me to the SN as a logical, first place for Whites to focus on. If it was simply all that you say, then we'd be having lots of new 10 D2 coils still failing at the same fast pace, right? martin

Vito
04-16-2011, 02:29 AM
From that point of view you're absolotely correct, Martin. This could exclude the epoxy problem. (may be... :rolleyes: )

Diggler
04-16-2011, 11:43 AM
This and a couple other issues is what kept me from getting a V3 to begin with. What is the most recent anyone has heard of a new D2 being faulty? Or is the problem completely solved? Still would like to try one, just have residual worries still...

v3ikid
04-16-2011, 03:31 PM
I don't know about anyone else but I've had my V3i and 10DD coil for a few months now and have had no troubles at all.

ec121connie
04-17-2011, 08:22 AM
I don't know about anyone else but I've had my V3i and 10DD coil for a few months now and have had no troubles at all.

My V3i was steady as a rock for the first six months. Then it started.

There were days when it refused to see a surface target and then other days when it seemed to work normally. After many months of thinking it was my inexperience I called the dealer. I did my best to explain the difficulties. I use nothing but the stock programs and haven't seen a need to adjust them. The guy basically told me to box it up and send it to White's and said they would Fix It If They Could.

That's where it is now. Been there for about a week. Hopefully they can adjust it's attitude.

It's just embarrassing when a kid with a Radio Shack detector says Hey Mister .. You missed this one.

Regards,

CyberSage
04-17-2011, 11:02 AM
I think Whites has a good handle on the D2 coil issues at this time. One thing for sure is Whites will take good care of you. There service for me has been nothing less than stellar. Hope your back up and running soon.

Jack

MartinL
04-17-2011, 12:25 PM
How would somebody know when the null shifted? If the coil passes the 15 gain test, does that mean the null is fine?

ec121connie
04-17-2011, 06:08 PM
I think Whites has a good handle on the D2 coil issues at this time. One thing for sure is Whites will take good care of you. There service for me has been nothing less than stellar. Hope your back up and running soon.

Jack

Thanks for the input Jack.

I've heard nothing but good about the customer service at White's and that was a prime consideration when I selected and purchased the detector.

My experience with the dealer on the other hand left a lot to be desired. I now seriously question my decision to buy locally. I could have saved quite a few bucks had I gone with mail order.

Regards,

Connie

fastfwd
06-03-2011, 11:28 PM
I got two bad ones in a row, this third one i just got last week works fine !

freemindstuck
07-08-2012, 11:30 PM
I bought my V3I back in October. I use it for relic hunting and am pretty hard on my D2 coil since I use it in the woods and what not. I've heard that other people have had problems with theirs, but mine has been rock solid, never had a problem with it, great performing coil! I even air test it from time to time, and I am always able to crank it to 15 with the tx boost on without it overloading.

Lowjiber
07-09-2012, 06:00 AM
I have no empirical evidence to back this up, but I think White's has pretty much gotten a handle on the original D2 issue. I say that because there just isn't much discussion of the original problem anymore.

I bought my first Vision (serial #016) in April '09 and went through two coils within the first two months...one lasted half a hunt. Number three is still working just fine.

CyberSage
07-09-2012, 07:54 AM
I agree with Lowjiber. I believe Whites has solved the D2 coil issues at this point.