PDA

View Full Version : Colonial hunting with Del

coinnut
11-27-2010, 09:11 PM
We had a chance to do a full day's hunting today, so we took advantage of it early. Got to the sites Dan had researched at daybreak and spent about 2 hours at each site. We had a total of 6 cellar holes, but you wouldn't be able to tell that by our finds lol Things were sparse to say the least :rolleyes: But we did what we could and ended up finding some good relics. I had a pretty good day finding a 185(6)? Large cent . Take a look at the back of it. If there was ever a reason to save relics from the ground this is it :yes: The coin shows heavy corrosion on the left side and almost no corrosion on the right side :confused: I'm pretty sure this coin was on edge and next to iron. The numbers bounced just like a large cent on edge. Also found a fattie 1860 Indian head, some clad, 4 buttons, a mason jar lid that had a glass insert which had a pattent date of Sept 06, 1872. Also got a nice colonial complete buckle. :happydance01: and something that I usually dread, but this time welcome...a full casing shotgun shell. (12 A - Parker Bros. West Meriden CT) These are pretty old, and with over 2,000 shotgun shells found by me, this is only my 2nd full (tall) shell :clapping:. Lots of other relics and even more trash lol It sounds like a lot, but we were at it for about 11 hours.

randy
11-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Wow, that is one sweet looking buckle :smitten: Congratz for staying at it so long today.

angellionel
11-27-2010, 10:05 PM
You guys must have had icicles hanging from your arms. lol Good going on the old coins. :peace: That buckle cleaned up very well too. :shocked04:stretcher: Nice solid hunt! thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-27-2010, 10:06 PM
sweet buckle and congrats on the copper.i better go back into my brass scrap bucket and dig out the 3 full brass shot gun casings that i tossed in there :drool:
G what the heck is that thing just above mason jar lid and to the right of the umbrella thingy? i dig quite a few of those and no clue what they were used for? :confused:

Epi-hunter
11-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Great finds you two :happydance01: I can't believe you were out 11 hours in the freezing snow :shocked04:

It always amazes me that you find clad also at such sites. :confused:

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-27-2010, 10:22 PM
snow? it snowed up there? :shocked04:

coinnut
11-27-2010, 10:23 PM
i better go back into my brass scrap bucket and dig out the 3 full brass shot gun casings that i tossed in there :drool:

I think some of them are worth a bit too!! 8)

G what the heck is that thing just above mason jar lid and to the right of the umbrella thingy? i dig quite a few of those and no clue what they were used for? :confused:

Me neither. I find them occasionally and can't remember what they are for. :confused: lol I need to get some relic books. soon :huh:

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-27-2010, 10:42 PM
how did Dan do?

coinnut
11-27-2010, 10:59 PM
how did Dan do?

He did pretty good. Not a lot of finds but some keepers for sure. I'll let him post lol

jkress
11-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Great stuff!

That buckle is wicked.

Love the IH. :happydance01:
I haven't found a fat one yet... sure would like to. :yes:

Congrats on another great hunt.

sniffy
11-28-2010, 08:13 AM
Definetely an awesome buckle! ANd good snag on the Large Cent.

del
11-28-2010, 09:32 AM
boy was it a long day hiking around it was just a little chilly in the morning (32 degress :shocked01:) but perfect detecting weather lol lol i can't recall having so many copper coin sounding targets only to be discouraged to see a goodsized piece of brass or pewter or junk item in the hole :ticked: :bangahead01: the detecting Gods were having a goodtime at my expense today. :dontknow: lol lol it wasn't until the last 2 sites i got a small sounding button signal and came across what looked like part of a bottle , which turned out to be a whole one. :shocked04:stretcher: A.H. Wright 1887 Norwich , Ct. is embossed on the aqua colored soda then later at the last site just before we ready to pack it up for the day i pulled the complete oval shoe buckle from about the 6 inch mark another sweet copper coin tone but i'm not complaining about this one lol lol it has been so long since i found a nice item i had to find it again ( i dropped something out of the truck right as we were leaving but couldn't see what it was 8/ thankfully i didn't give up on finding what it was because it was the shoe buckle :hammer: lol lol

boy those sites were pounded some you couldn't even find a shotgun shell and other sites how did they find the coins and leave the other sweet sounding coin-like targets in the ground :confused: :dontknow: :eyebrow:
hey George your shoe buckle looks great all cleaned up thumbsup01 and man its an oldie too , mid 1700's would be my guess from the size and shape .from the looks of that large cent i can see your copper cleaning techniques are getting better lol lol rofl keep at it buddy. :poke: :teasing:

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-28-2010, 02:15 PM
beautiful buckle Dan and a gorgeous bottle! glad ya picked up that buckle.that woulda been ugly had ya ran it over with those big foot tires of yours :crying02:

sniffy
11-28-2010, 02:28 PM
WOW! 2 complete shoe buckles?!?!?! That right there is complete success!

del
11-29-2010, 07:57 AM
beautiful buckle Dan and a gorgeous bottle! glad ya picked up that buckle.that woulda been ugly had ya ran it over with those big foot tires of yours :crying02:

thanks Dave , i definately didn't think it was the buckle that fell out as it hit the botton of the truck door plate on its way out and i never saw it . it sounded more like a penny or a bottle cap , something smaller thats why i almost left it . i think the only reason i didn't want to give up on it so easily because it was George's truck and what if it was something important to him that fell out , jeez if we were in the jeep i probably would of just thought it was a clad coin and left it .

WOW! 2 complete shoe buckles?!?!?! That right there is complete success!

thank you jess , this makes my 5th complete shoe buckle for the year a personal record so far :happydance01:

KirkPA
11-29-2010, 12:32 PM
You two had a great hunt. Wow, congrats to George on the complete shoe buckle and the copper. :peace: Dan, 5 complete shoe buckles for the year? thumbsup01 That is amazing. I noticed that a lot of the New England states produce the most shoe buckles. I am guessing that the woods are the reason. :dontknow: You guys both can sit back and remember how great 2010 was to the both of you. :peace: :clapping:

Kirk :cheering:

coinnut
11-29-2010, 03:57 PM
You two had a great hunt. Wow, congrats to George on the complete shoe buckle and the copper. :peace: Dan, 5 complete shoe buckles for the year? thumbsup01 That is amazing. I noticed that a lot of the New England states produce the most shoe buckles. I am guessing that the woods are the reason. :dontknow: You guys both can sit back and remember how great 2010 was to the both of you. :peace: :clapping:

Kirk :cheering:

Hey, Thanks Kirk. We get a fair amount of them shoe buckles. I can just picture some colonial guy looking at his worn shoes and faded plating and chucking them toward the swamp lol Keep throwing out them buckles and buttons guys :cheesysmile:. They really do save the day when a hunt is going poorly. I must say, I have seen a bunch of members here having personal bests this year. Huge clad counts, silver goals being met (the hundred club thumbsup01), tons of Indians, Barbers, V's and an, all out good 2010. Some of us will be lucky and hopefully get to hunt right through December. But all in all, a great year hunting.

wild willy
12-07-2010, 05:22 AM
great stuff george! dont forget willy when spring comes. ever been to mendon ma.? willy

coinnut
12-07-2010, 07:52 AM
great stuff george! dont forget willy when spring comes. ever been to mendon ma.? willy

Hey Willy, Spring better come soon. lol Never been to Mendon, MA or even heard of it ;)

little man
12-07-2010, 08:22 AM
got some sweet find's there

tanacat
12-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Love the buckles- you guys did great and I'm sure had lots of fun while hunting :poke: lol :bop: :behave: lol :grin: :hammer: You two remind me of the stooges...

Too bad HeavyMetalNut wasn't there or you'd be complete 3 stooges lol

Beautiful bottle Dan! And like Epi said, it's amazing you guys find clad out there near them old cellar holes :shocked04:stretcher:

pulltabsteve
12-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Congrats to the both of you on some fine looking buckles! :clapping: Love that bottle Dan