PDA

View Full Version : Got my first Barber quarter (9 inches deep)!

Full Metal Digger
11-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Howdy diggers,

MILCO turned me on to a website that shows aerial photos from 1939-40 for the entire state of Illinois. I started using it to find old parks and found one in a nearby town that looked like a good candidate. I got in a 4-hour hunt there and scored 3 silver coins including a 1901 Barber quarter! I posted a video on youtube ACE 250 finds (big) silver at the new park! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRyfEspThLk#)

Thanks for looking, HH and on-on.

coinnut
11-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Nice silver finds DD. :clapping: That research (and Milco) paid off handsomely. :happydance01: Congrats on your Barber Quarter :beerbuddy: The soil may not be good for the pennies, but it sure left the silver alone. Great video.

pulltabsteve
11-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Finding Barbers are nice, a Barber Quarter is awesome!!!! :clapping: Congrats on your first! <:

BOWSER
11-28-2010, 07:57 PM
excelllent finds, thanks for the video :clapping:

Epi-hunter
11-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Congrats on your first barber quarter!!! :happydance01: That is hard to beat :yes:

Beefcake
11-28-2010, 09:22 PM
You are the Angellionel of the Ace 250!!! Honestly, I've never seen anyone as proficient at that machine as you have been this year.... A big congrats on that first Barber Quarter and in good shape too!!!

Full Metal Digger
11-28-2010, 09:28 PM
You are the Angellionel of the Ace 250!!! Honestly, I've never seen anyone as proficient at that machine as you have been this year.... A big congrats on that first Barber Quarter and in good shape too!!!

Thanks Beefcake. That is probably the best compliment any detectorist could receive!

jkress
11-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Very nice DD! :clapping:

I love using historic aerials and google! Such a great set of tools for research.

The park looks to have quite a bit of potential for you. I hope you can get some more digging in before the ground gets too cold.

The 250 is such a great machine. I was able to recover 73 silvers with that bad boy before I switched to something different. I still have the Ace and don't plan on getting rid of it. It's a fun machine to use. I have to admit... sometimes I miss the simplicity of the 250 when I'm neck deep in EMI.

Congrats on getting the Barber quarter :happydance01: ... they are a very fun coin to pull from the dirt.

zrickkid
11-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Hey daddy digger where are you at in illinois. Im from Glen Ellyn and maybe we can hit some spots next year. I dont mind the driving. BTW awesome Barber. :envious:

milco
11-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Congrats on a beauty quarter!

wild willy
11-29-2010, 06:46 AM
nice one daddy oh! its hard to beleive but no barber quarter yet for me. big congrats bud! willy

Ill Digger
11-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Looks like you've found yourself a nice new spot!!
And WHOA! what a chunk of silver that medallion is ! :shocked04: Nice first find for the new place!! :yes: lol
Sweet find on the Barber quarter !!! thumbsup01
Congrats on your first !! :grin:

tanacat
11-29-2010, 10:13 AM
:clapping: Excellent video! Very articulate and educational... Congrats on all that silver!

angellionel
11-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Congrats on that beautiful Barber quarter! :clapping: They sure are exciting to find! :beerbuddy: That was a very nice hunt. thumbsup01

midas
11-30-2010, 08:39 AM
Really nice Barber. I found a 1901 also on the same day you did. A few thousand miles away. If I could offer a suggestion - use a towel to put the dirt from the hole on, makes for a much neater dig when you put the plug flap back down.

bmattioli
11-30-2010, 08:25 PM
I always have enjoyed your vids and loved your excitement when you found the Barber quarter.. That's what it's all about.. Does that website show other states as well? Would love to check it out for some research.. Keep hitting that spot looks like a winner.. Also, you've done very well with your Ace. Thought you were looking into getting an E-Trac? Continued sucess!!

Full Metal Digger
11-30-2010, 09:41 PM
I always have enjoyed your vids and loved your excitement when you found the Barber quarter.. That's what it's all about.. Does that website show other states as well? Would love to check it out for some research.. Keep hitting that spot looks like a winner.. Also, you've done very well with your Ace. Thought you were looking into getting an E-Trac? Continued sucess!!

Thanks for the kind words! The website with the aerial maps is for Illinois only but I'll bet each state has something similar. On the subject of the E-Trac, I am getting one this week as an early Christmas present to myself! Woo-hooooooo!

jkress
11-30-2010, 11:25 PM
I am getting one this week as an early Christmas present to myself! Woo-hooooooo!

Nice! Your are going to love switching to the Minelab from the Ace. Like you, I started with the 250 and made the switch about three and half months ago. It is pure heaven.

You are really going to enjoy the Minelab. Also like you, I dug many, many iffy signals and was rewarded often but I had a pile of rusty iron that had to be recycled very often. One big advantage I noticed with the Minelab is that I don't dig near as much iron. Of course I still dig some now, but not even close to what I was use to digging with the Ace.

I hope you can get out and use your new machine this year... otherwise it's going to be a loooooong winter for you. :yes:

catskillcomics
12-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Nice Hunt DD, Love the star of David pendant, and of course all the other silver is top notch as well.. funny , my first Barber quarter was a 1901 as well... All around Congrats man! thumbsup01
Oh, and a great video too... :beerbuddy:

milco
12-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Nice to hear about the E-Trac, can't wait 'til te spring to see more good finds and videos with it!

milco
12-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Does that website show other states as well?

CT online 1934 imagery is available at the University of Connecticut and online at:

http://magic.lib.uconn.edu/index.html