PDA

View Full Version : A couple of V's for me...

jkress
11-28-2010, 07:50 PM
With a little warmer temperatures and plenty of sunshine today... I grabbed my detector and out treasure hunting I went. :yes:

My first two stops were a couple of semi-old ball fields in small farming communities.

The first showed promise with lots of clad from the 60's. If I could have subtracted one year from all the coins I found there today, you all would be looking at a picture of 7 silver quarters and 16 silver dimes. lol

Second ball field didn't show much hope for the amount of time I left to detect, so I left for greener pastures after about a half hour.

Third stop of the day was back to a yard that has given me a couple of Barber quarters and a Barber dime, a Merc, several IH's and a few V nickels. The signals are scarce, but with patience I can usually get a good coin or two from here each time out. The house was built in 1902.

The strange thing about this yard is the complete absence of silver after the year of 1917. That Merc was the most recent piece of silver I pulled from the yard. Nothing newer. :confused: .... but who's complaining. :)

Today the yard gave up a couple more V's. I found them both right under the swings about 2 feet apart. :happydance01:

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist/pictures/picture-103.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist/pictures/picture-104.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist/pictures/picture-105.jpg

coinnut
11-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Boy them V's are in great shape thumbsup01 Nice couple of old nickels Joe. :happydance01: It's a treat that there is still some detecting weather left!!

jkress
11-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Boy them V's are in great shape thumbsup01

Yeah, most of the nickels come out pretty nice, but sometimes they come out with that nasty pink corrosion.

Most of the soil where I hunt is pretty gentle on the coins. Compared to pictures I see posted, Indian Heads really come out nice here.

zrickkid
11-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Those do come out nice. I wish i could find a few of those before the season ends.

dave in iowa
11-28-2010, 10:47 PM
great day joe , nice nickles.

milco
11-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Nice V nickels!

Jason in Enid
11-29-2010, 07:24 AM
Congrats on the Vs, they are in great shape! That is unusual about that yard, maybe they had it scalped down in the past to level it out, thus removing the newer coins. Just a guess, it's completely opposite of what I typically find at old house sites.

leslie(nova scotia)
11-29-2010, 07:39 AM
Fromthe land of the Bluenose...nice looking Victorian style house. Just never know what is going to come out of the ground. Sweet finds! :peace:

tanacat
11-29-2010, 10:20 AM
:happydance01: Congrats on your V nickels! That sure is a cool looking house- lots of character :yes:

angellionel
11-29-2010, 08:27 PM
Those V nickels look great! Nice! thumbsup01

catskillcomics
12-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Some nice V's ya got there Kress!! That soil over there seems to be gentle on the coins.. all the V's I've found have been so corroded, you could hardly make out what it was.

Congrats! :beerbuddy: