PDA

View Full Version : V3i loves the Indians Nov 28 Finds

midas
11-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Arms are still sore :stretcher: from digging, but Sunday was such a nice day, had to get out for a few hours. I tried to keep myself from digging the deep targets, but that's what it's all about. I was a DFX user for a few years and never dug nearly as many old, deep coins as I have with the V3i. It's amazing. The finds - Cufflink, Skeleton Key, Sterling Silver Fountain Pen, 1851 Large Cent, 1859 Indian, 1901 Barber Quarter, 5 other Indians, 3 Buffalo Nickels, 1 V Nickel 1905 and about a dozen wheats.

coinnut
11-29-2010, 09:33 PM
Nice haul John :clapping: That silver thing looks like the collapsible silver pencil I found while hunting with RobW. Great coins and digging deep IS what it is all about lol Finally some good deep settings on that V3i. :happydance01:

angellionel
11-29-2010, 11:08 PM
Excellent hunts, John! The large cent is in better shape than I had thought. :yes: Very nice Barber quarter too. :smitten:

jkress
11-29-2010, 11:38 PM
:shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04:

That's an incredible hunt you had. Glad you decided to dig those deep targets. :clapping:

Lots of great keepers. I'm definitely admiring the LC you have pictured as for me it is just a coin I see posted online... almost a mythical item for me.

The IH is of the 'fat' category as well... another coin that eluded me this year. crying01

Congrats... keep digging the deepies, you can recover when the ground freezes. lol

zrickkid
11-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Nice hunts Midas. Just curious.... how deep were the coins you dug? and what type of vdi song did they sing to you, especially the 1859 fatty. I use the V3i and it would be very helpful to me to know. Thanks a bunch! :angelic:

midas
12-01-2010, 08:52 AM
zrickkid, The VDI all depends on the ground, surrounding trash and iron and depth. These were finds at 2 different locations. I only use the VDI as a reference. (gosh, it could be this type of thing). I use the sound of the target and depth reading to determine whether to dig or not. The items in each photo are from different sites. The 1st photo (fatty indian, LC, barber) was from a site with not much surrounding trash. The fatty was down about 8 - 9 inches, vdi in the 50's, a short but definately good sound. The LC I didn't notice the VDI, depth about 8 inches. The Barber gave a nice sound, VDI in the upper 70's, but bounced around some because of trash items surrounding it. Depth 7 inches.
The 2nd photo was from a very trashy, iron infested site. Sounds were iffy because of all the adjacent iron and trash. This site had to be worked slow and hovering the coil over the good sound sort of locked in the target. VDI was jumping around, the V nickel VDI was 2. The indians VDI were jumping 30 to 60. At this site it is common to pull a rusted nail in the same hole as the coin. Depth on the indians ranged from 5 to 9 inches. I use my digger to measure the depth. I won't be going out for a few days, have to let my arms heal. I don't know how Angel can dig the deep holes without feeling it afterwards.

zrickkid
12-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Midas thank you so much for the info. It is very much appreciated. Cant wait to use it, next spring. Nice job!