PDA

View Full Version : Looking for book reccomendation

Bell-Two
11-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Excuse me if this is a bit off topic I am looking for suggestions for a book or books on metal detecting. I have Andy's two books already. I am looking for something more than the beginners type books, something that may show some of the personal adventure type things of metal detecting. Most of the tips type books are so generic that you can't tell one from the other. I do use the E-Trac.

Epi-hunter
11-30-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm trying to get Angel to write one. :yes: I almost have him talked into it. :happydance01:

You are correct... there really isn't much out there except the ones you mentioned.

Jason in Enid
11-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Not sure what you mean. Yes, most of the how to detecting books are basically the same. Model specific books can be more detailed for each detector, but even 90% of those are the same thing as the generic ones.

Can't say I know of any adventure type detecting books.

Epi-hunter
11-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Not sure what you mean. Yes, most of the how to detecting books are basically the same. Model specific books can be more detailed for each detector, but even 90% of those are the same thing as the generic ones.

Can't say I know of any adventure type detecting books.

Well, that's what he means.

There is a niche out there for publications that currently is not being filled, in my opinion.

Diggler
11-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Excuse me if this is a bit off topic I am looking for suggestions for a book or books on metal detecting. I have Andy's two books already. I am looking for something more than the beginners type books, something that may show some of the personal adventure type things of metal detecting. Most of the tips type books are so generic that you can't tell one from the other. I do use the E-Trac.

As I posted in your other thread... KVM 6 & 7 might be as close as you will get...

Diggler
11-30-2010, 11:19 AM
I'm trying to get Angel to write one. :yes: I almost have him talked into it. :happydance01:

You are correct... there really isn't much out there except the ones you mentioned.

Several including me have offered to pay for such a DVD... Or video clip... :poke:

coinnut
11-30-2010, 12:16 PM
He may need a stunt double lol Some of his detecting techniques are dangerous. :shocked04: I bet he did a real funky chicken dance when he got some of them Capped Bust Dimes this year :cheesysmile: It's true, there aren't any books I can think of for adventure detecting. I guess that's why the monthly treasure magazines exist. :confused:

Diggler
11-30-2010, 12:50 PM
All of the good old schools around here would definitely be adventure hunting if you were brave enough to go there....

pulltabsteve
11-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Even though this book says its a beginners guide, it does have lots of good information. I bought it a few years ago and read it twice. I RARELY read books twice :cheesysmile:

Diggler
11-30-2010, 04:49 PM
I have a nice collection of MD/TH books, but never got around to getting Urban TH. I will all it to the collection based on your recommendation.
Thanks!

Jason in Enid
11-30-2010, 09:58 PM
I have that book, but I never liked it. I found nothing new in it.

Epi-hunter
11-30-2010, 10:51 PM
I have that book, but I never liked it. I found nothing new in it.

That doesn't mean others won't.

Open minds are a good thing.

Thanks for the book recommendations on this thread. It's good to know what's out there. :)

coinnut
12-01-2010, 11:06 AM
I don't have that book. It seems like it has a good layout though. Lots of questions a beginner and intermediate detectorist may have. I'm gonna see if I can find one somewhere so I can glance through it. Sometimes I read an entire book, article or series of posts and only find one new trick to use in the field. For me that makes it worth it. Eventually I will have this hobby down pat lol By then, of course, all the targets will be found by others rofl

pulltabsteve
12-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Hey George, I can send you the book. If you like it, keep it. I can get another one from my dealer here.

coinnut
12-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Hey George, I can send you the book. If you like it, keep it. I can get another one from my dealer here.

I'll PM you. Let me know how much and I'll send that back at ya lol Thanks, it saves me the leg work :interesting:

Bell-Two
12-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Well, that's what he means.

There is a niche out there for publications that currently is not being filled, in my opinion.

That sums it up quite well. I once queried a large bookstore in my area why in there games section they overwhelmingly carried so many begginers books on Chess, I was a master level competitive chess player so my interest was in more advanced books. The response was Well those are about the only ones we sell I replied That is because those are the only ones you carry! The store manager asked me to suggest some books and I did and they could not keep them on the shelves! They had to increase size of section to accomodate them. The manager changed, the new manager went back to the old method of ordering books and their sales fell off. The point of this is there is a large market for more advanced books that ENTERTAIN as well as educate the metal detecting maven such as the many that post and read this and other forums. I read and enjoyed the two Sabisch books E-Trac & Explorer and the Treasure Hunters Manual because they wove instruction in with entertaining writing.

Dick Stout
12-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Two I really enjoyed....The Detectorist by Bob Sickler, and Advanced Coin Shooting by Patrick Fahey.
I listed some of my other favorites here if you are interested...

http://www.stoutstandards.com/Books.html