PDA

View Full Version : Is Less More?

Herm
11-30-2010, 11:39 PM
So I got out today and I was knocking the ball out of the park. Yep I was back to finding a lot of deep iron. Good solid tones, Pinpoint bars were dominant 2.5 in several directions. So after looking at some posts and thinking about my settings I'm thinking I had to much RX. When I started the hunt I checked my EMI in Transmit Frequency and had a quiet offset with 0. Then I checked Ground Balance for noise and settled at RX 12, noise was in the low 30's, also tried RX 11 with the same noise in the 30's. My Sensitivity was at 93. So my question is, is Less More? By lowering the RX would this quiet the iron down and help gain some depth? Thanks Herm

CyberSage
12-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Herm,

I think your settings of RX=12 and DS=93 are very reasonable for our hunting conditions. Digging a little iron when your after deep coins is normal. Your going to dig a few rusty nails, wire bits, and chunks of iron. Most of the time crosschecking your target at 90 degrees will reveal the tell tale splatter of deep iron. You will soon acquire an ear for deep coins as well. Listen for a slight drop in tone in the decay of your targets signal response. In other words the tonal response of a coin will usually roll as opposed to being sharp and cut off. A lot of deep iron will throw a false pinpoint. Visualize the center of your target in motion mode. If it pulls away from that spot when you pull the trigger and go into pinpoint mode, your probably over a bad target. Finally, vary your swing speed just slightly when testing for repeatability and consistency on response from the target. I wouldn't be afraid to experiment with turning down things a bit. Even with the moderate mineralization strength of our soil, you can drop to an RX=6 and a DS=90 and still easily hit coins at 7 inches. With lower sensitivity settings you must allow for wrap however. Saturday is looking pretty nice (in the low 50's). I will probably be headed your direction.

Jack

giant056
12-28-2010, 10:17 PM
I dig my share of square nails myself, it goes with the territory if you're going to dig them deep silvers.