PDA

View Full Version : Possibly my last hunt of the year

z118
12-04-2010, 01:19 PM
My season may be ending much sooner than I would have expected... there's a few inches of snow on the ground now and temps are not supposed to be above freezing for the next week with more snow expected each day. I still managed to get out this morning; I headed a few towns over to hit some tot lots. They were not productive, and the finds I did make were labor intensive as I had to hack through a frozen crust of wood chips in order to retrieve any targets. On the way home I figured I'd give the dirt a try, so I stopped at a spot that has been good to me this summer. The ground was covered in snow but below the snow it was like a thick mud swamp, with standing water over most of the area. I stuck with it for a while until I pulled a '56 nickel. I was really wishing for a bit of silver... and a short while later I got it. I hit a nice tone, and after fishing a few scoops of mud out of the bottom of the hole it took me another 5 minutes to find the target in the snow and slop. It was silver though (a '52 Rosie) so I'm happy. I suppose if this is going to be my last dig of the year that's a nice way to end.

You never know though, it may warm up in a week or so... Still, I'm looking forward to making a year in review post already.

Happy hunting!

leslie(nova scotia)
12-04-2010, 03:44 PM
From the land of the Bluenose...not over yet as you have proved. Glad you can still get out!

tanacat
12-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Congrats on your rosie! I'm with you- got about 4 or 5 inches of snow last night... :crying02:

Oh well, at least we can have fun playing in the snow. Took my boys (3 & 5 yrs old) sledding and built a nice big snowman this morning :)

coinnut
12-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Thank God for last minute silvers lol Saved the day :clapping: As much as I hate not detecting, a break is a good thing as long as it is a short one :yes: Gives us time to review our finds. When I look over this years pile, I almost forgot how many nice things I found. I think you had a good year Z :beerbuddy:

Jason in Enid
12-07-2010, 01:22 PM
WooHoo! Any hunt that ends in silver is a good one. Congrats, and hopefully you'll get a few more hunting days in.