PDA

View Full Version : Skirmish site

pulltabsteve
12-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Well, I went to the skirmish site this weekend. Didnt stay too long but as I was leaving an older gent drove up and told me I wasnt allowed there, private property.... I told him I had permission and he asked from who? I told him and he said, he'll see about that. I asked his name and I realized he's the town historian. As I got in my car I called the man who gave me the permission to tell him what went on. As I was talking to him the Historian pulled into his driveway :dontknow: As it turns out, the land I was on was in the Historians family for 200 or so years. He just recently, past 3 months, sold it to the village. The man who gave me permission is the husband of the village president. I again got confirmation today that I am allowed on the site <: Not only that, but he said he'll be getting me another 200 year old private property site across the street. Whew.... Its only the 3rd time ive been at the site. First time was scouting it out, 2nd time were the 2 copper wedding rings, this weekend was this button. Looks like it has a country setting on it. I see a house, a picket fence and maybe a dog. Still cleaning out the iron, but Im sure there are nice things still waiting for me. Have a great week everyone.

coinnut
12-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Whew lol If you had not had permission in the first place you would have been booted for good. Glad it worked out and even got you another place lol Funny how life works sometimes :thinkingabout: Is that a two piece button? If so, be real careful cleaning it. I found a military button in rough shape and when I went to rub it and see what it was, it collapsed on me 8/ Needless to say, I don't rub my finds too hard anymore :rolleyes: Can't wait to see what else you get from there and across the street.

angellionel
12-05-2010, 11:53 PM
That worked out well for you. thumbsup01 Now you have two very nice sites to play with. :happydance01:

milco
12-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Nice button, good luck cleaning it. I suppose the historian believes the items are better off left in the ground! Perhaps you could donate or loan a display of your finds to the local museum as leverage to this and other sites. Even though you have permission I would be wary of concerned citizens moving against you in regards to public lands, after all the town president does not own the land, he only administers it for the public. From experience I think it is best to hunt these types of sensitive sites early morning hours when no one is around to avoid conflicts. Good Luck!

Ill Digger
12-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Glad thing worked out for ya. And I hope nosey nieghbor don't or can't cause you any trouble . I agree with Milco maybe put together a display of the finds give or lend to the local historical society. I've been thinking of doing that myself. It might get him off your back.
Nice find!
Congrats :grin:

mike l
12-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Nice old button Steve! thumbsup01

pulltabsteve
12-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Glad thing worked out for ya. And I hope nosey nieghbor don't or can't cause you any trouble . I agree with Milco maybe put together a display of the finds give or lend to the local historical society. I've been thinking of doing that myself. It might get him off your back.
Nice find!
Congrats :grin:

I've already donated a nice display to the historical society. a couple of buttons, musket balls, a few IHs, relics and a 1750s Dutch Duit coin. Most of the things I find from these sites will be turned over to the village museum.Unless I find an old mason jar filled with gold coins :grin: They plan on putting the items, from the 3 sites Ive been on so far, on display with my name thumbsup01 100 years from now, people will still be reading about Pulltabsteve!! :cheesysmile: :clapping: About a 1/4 mile from this site back in the 70s, a homeowner was doing yard renovation and unearthed a jar of silver coins. When the British were here in this area, the Americans buried their silver and I guess gold coins so the British wouldn't steal them.

Epi-hunter
12-06-2010, 08:01 PM
I've already donated a nice display to the historical society. a couple of buttons, musket balls, a few IHs, relics and a 1750s Dutch Duit coin. Most of the things I find from these sites will be turned over to the village museum.Unless I find an old mason jar filled with gold coins :grin: They plan on putting the items, from the 3 sites Ive been on so far, on display with my name thumbsup01 100 years from now, people will still be reading about Pulltabsteve!! :cheesysmile: :clapping: About a 1/4 mile from this site back in the 70s, a homeowner was doing yard renovation and unearthed a jar of silver coins. When the British were here in this area, the Americans buried their silver and I guess gold coins so the British wouldn't steal them.

Very nice :yes:

Two very interesting sites, congrats!

Jason in Enid
12-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Just goes to show that any old busy-body will try to stop anyone else from having fun. He KNEW the land was city property and was trying to bully you off. Good for you! I hope you pull a gold coin his grandfather lost from there.

Napa Steve
12-24-2010, 01:53 AM
Well he saw about that :peace: :peace: :peace:, looks like you got yourself a nice site to hunt now and in the future, another fine hunt Steve thumbsup01

wild willy
12-24-2010, 04:27 AM
Nice button, good luck cleaning it. I suppose the historian believes the items are better off left in the ground! Perhaps you could donate or loan a display of your finds to the local museum as leverage to this and other sites. Even though you have permission I would be wary of concerned citizens moving against you in regards to public lands, after all the town president does not own the land, he only administers it for the public. From experience I think it is best to hunt these types of sensitive sites early morning hours when no one is around to avoid conflicts. Good Luck!
early morning hours!! thats exactley what i do in places like that. willy

Carver
12-24-2010, 07:33 AM
Looking forward to some more great finds from those spots :happydance01:

odave
12-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Congrats on the finds Steve and the display at their Museum !
They'll never know what they have till someone finds it.

Good Luck Buddy !!

giant056
12-26-2010, 09:24 AM
That's nice the way that it worked out for you Steve thumbsup01

DaleGM
12-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Good for you Steve, that site reeks of some good old history waiting to be uncovered thumbsup01

Salty Dog
01-02-2011, 05:09 AM
Sweet Steve,love it when a plan comes together :beerbuddy:,now go get em Pal....

Evan/tn
01-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Sounds like you have plenty of area to search now...good luck

Nitro 54
01-02-2011, 09:45 AM
WTG Steve, Nice button find ... I wish I was 2000 miles closer to help you with that spot ..

IDXit
01-05-2011, 01:30 PM
very good finds...WTG.. thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Dixie Rebel
01-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Glad it worked out for you steve. I would slow roll that site for sure. :yes: