PDA

View Full Version : First shield !!

Ill Digger
12-08-2010, 03:03 PM
I was doing a little research on a 1800's map :interesting: and found out there was once a one room school that sat were it's now just a farm field :shocked04:. After months of dreaming of the great finds just waiting and a cold winter coming real soon. I finally told myself I'm going, right now, to find out who's farming that piece of land and trying to obtain permission !! I grabed the ET (just in case) and jumped in the truck. So I went to the farmer who was closest. He's not the one farming it but told me (after a short exsplenation of why) who was and where he lived. I drove about three miles over to the mans farm and told the whole story to him and he said I don't think anything ever stood there, but sure go a head. I said thanks and off I went. <: I got to the field, got ready. The first target was part of a beer can. The second target was MY FIRST SHIELD NICKEL !!!. I started to shoot some film but that was the only good find . So in an hour or so I drove about 5 or 6 miles, obtained permission and was hunting with a good find in my pocket!!
Thanks for lookin' & HH :grin:
I did get some footage: Metal Detectin' with Ill Digger First Shield (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKxtKNN9e70#)

coinnut
12-08-2010, 04:17 PM
:happydance01: :happydance01: Congrats on your first Shield Nickel :clapping: :clapping: Since there was a school there and hopefully not many people detected there in the early days of detecting, you should find lots of nice coins there. What a great spot to call home lol Dig all iffy targets because of the way the soil is turned. Targets can be in all angles.

Cheap Thrills
12-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Congrats on your first shield and on acquiring a large new site with great potential .That is in pristine shape in comparison to the few V's Iv'e found ( I have yet to find a Shield nickel) . Great work on the research and getting the permission . thumbsup01

pulltabsteve
12-08-2010, 05:26 PM
[size=1:crazy:t]AWESOME!!!!!! Now thats how its done. You cant get good spots unless you ask. Great find thumbsup01

little man
12-08-2010, 06:06 PM
WTG if you don't ask you will never know SWEEEET coin and good hunt

milco
12-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Very nicely done and congrats on your first shield nickel, I'm still lookin' for one of those. Like Coinnut said dig everything at a site like that. Now you got a nice place for the spring before planting starts.

angellionel
12-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Sweet find! You should be able to pull a few more good ones from that site. :yes:

randy
12-08-2010, 11:26 PM
That is a nice one. :happydance01: Pound that site 'til you don't hear a beep for miles. There's got to be seated silver there. :yes:

zrickkid
12-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Nice job digger. Im glad you did the legwork because it looks like that spot can pay off for years to come!

Ill Digger
12-09-2010, 12:03 AM
That is a nice one. :happydance01: Pound that site 'til you don't hear a beep for miles. There's got to be seated silver there. :yes:
Oh man !! Your giving me butterflies :twirlingeyes:
I hope so :drool:
Someones goin' to have to :behave: me before spring. Or else I'm going to just have to break out the jackhammer thumbsup01

Epi-hunter
12-09-2010, 03:34 AM
Very nice!!! I too think there must be some very old silver there :cheering:

jkress
12-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Now that's very cool!! :clapping:

I'm sure you got more satisfaction from the hunch paying off then actually recovering an awesome nickel!

Congrats on the Shield.

Ill Digger
12-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Do you remember the A-team ? When Hannibal would say I love it when a plan comes together. ?
Thats kinda how I felt !!! :clapping: :peace: :happydance01: <: 8) thumbsup01 lol